Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
I mean, technically almost all of the Maverick's electric power comes from gasoline (The small exception being down hill regen braking).
No. This is a rare case where an absolute works all the time. In a HEV, all energy (including regen) comes from gasoline. Regen going downhill? It used gas getting up there. Regen from braking? The energy to get up to speed came from gasoline.

It’s when the hybrid adds a plug that this absolutism goes out the window. Then, the energy in the battery could have also come from a non-gasoline source (the wall, solar panel, etc).

HTH
Sponsored

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mike Levine drove 50 miles in Nashville and got 50mpg. I think hybrid owners will be very happy.

SmartSelect_20210926-122427_Twitter.jpg
Hmmm, rethinking if my choice of the Maverick hybrid was the best choice for me?

I drive about 45 miles one way to work. This comes out to: 90 x 5 = 450 miles/week. And of course whatever driving I do when I'm off. The issue for me is: most of my commuting is highway.

The hybrid thing is completely new to me, and I was not aware that hybrids get most of their fuel savings from city driving. I guess I should've understood this before ordering, but I just assumed "hey it's a hybrid, it will save gas and get me 40 mpg!"

Should I reconsider my choice of a hybrid considering my particular commute is mostly highway?

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Should I reconsider my choice of a hybrid considering my particular commute is mostly highway?
Unless you're hauling heavy and need the added power why waste the energy right. And yes Hybrid is mainly for city. The idling kills ya along with the stop and go. I use to average over 40 miles to the gallon and yet I lived semi mountainous at the time and average speed was between 25 and 40. The key, I never had to stop.

Get the Hybrid and feel a good about it all.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The SOC gauge never goes below 1/2 charged during that run.
Actually, my question was about what the SOC was at the start of the trial and what it was at the end -- to see if some of the energy used to get that mileage was from an overall draw-down of the battery. The level during the run doesn't answer that.

[Replying to a comment that all the power initially comes from gasoline]
Well mostly, but not completely correct. When the car goes down hill, the electric drive motor switches to generator mode and charges the battery also.
I guess that's true... If you are born at the top of the hill.;)

However my point was in reference to the statement that ""some" back through rengen braking". Not just braking as the motor acts as a generator to also charge the battery.
You may be missing the fact that regenerative braking is done by one of the electric motors acting as a generator. So "getting energy back through regenerative braking" is not a different thing from "having the motor act as a generator."

Of course, a motor can also act as a generator when turned by the ICE. But in that case the energy is obviously coming from burning fuel.

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids still do quite good at highway speeds. The high efficiency Atkinson and infinite gear ratio of the CVT helps. It's not uncommon for my instant MPG cruising at 60 to be 40 MPG+ when the HVB charge is >85% so it's not loading the engine as much to generate. Also, unless the highway is glass flat it'll still be able to run on electric on downhill stretches up to 85mph.

Sponsored

Fotomoto

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Clarity, C-Max Energi, & Prius
As a hybrid owner/driver, I’d normally say yes BUT........ the hybrid option is typically more money than a base ICE on most model lineups; usually at the top of line. Yet that is not the case with the Mav since the hybrid option costs $0 so you’d end up spending more money to get the turbo and get even lower highway numbers. You’d lose on both ends.

Driving my c-max hard (80+mph interstates, loaded on family trip, a/c blasting, etc) I still get 33mpg all day long (37 rated).

FWIW.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid and Outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually, my question was about what the SOC was at the start of the trial and what it was at the end -- to see if some of the energy used to get that mileage was from an overall draw-down of the battery. The level during the run doesn't answer that.

You may be missing the fact that regenerative braking is done by one of the electric motors acting as a generator. So "getting energy back through regenerative braking" is not a different thing from "having the motor act as a generator."

Of course, a motor can also act as a generator when turned by the ICE. But in that case the energy is obviously coming from burning fuel.
Actually think we are splitting hairs at this point but:

"With regenerative braking, when the driver hits the brakes, energy that is normally lost as heat is instead converted into electricity and stored in a battery."

Definition: https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/regenerative-braking

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless you're hauling heavy and need the added power why waste the energy right. And yes Hybrid is mainly for city. The idling kills ya along with the stop and go. I use to average over 40 miles to the gallon and yet I lived semi mountainous at the time and average speed was between 25 and 40. The key, I never had to stop.

Get the Hybrid and feel a good about it all.
Yeah, I won't be doing any heavy hauling, except for very light stuff like yard waste (grass) to our local transfer station. I guess another plus, from what I've heard, is that hybrids require less maintenance in some instances.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you are not adding miles to the trip(idling), you aren't helping the MPG rating - so actually, it would be way more impressive if he was "idling" a lot throughout the day. I seriously doubt that is the case here though.
I don't think it would make much difference in the MPG (other than possibly some draw down of the battery) because the hybrid doesn't idle in the traditional sense. The ICE engine turns off. It's one of the reasons hybrids are more efficient (no wasted fuel idling), and why I can't wait for mine to get delivered since I have to wait in a car queue for 10-15 minutes every morning to drop my 5yo at Pre-K.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hybrids still do quite good at highway speeds. The high efficiency Atkinson and infinite gear ratio of the CVT helps. It's not uncommon for my instant MPG cruising at 60 to be 40 MPG+ when the HVB charge is >85% so it's not loading the engine as much to generate. Also, unless the highway is glass flat it'll still be able to run on electric on downhill stretches up to 85mph.
Same for me. I've often got 50 mpg driving on long highway trips between states.

Sponsored

Wasatch-Man

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As a hybrid owner/driver, I’d normally say yes BUT........ the hybrid option is typically more money than a base ICE on most model lineups; usually at the top of line. Yet that is not the case with the Mav since the hybrid option costs $0 so you’d end up spending more money to get the turbo and get even lower highway numbers. You’d lose on both ends.

Driving my c-max hard (80+mph interstates, loaded on family trip, a/c blasting, etc) I still get 33mpg all day long (37 rated).

FWIW.
Excellent points! I forgot to factor in that this Hybrid option is $0! I believe I've heard hybrids can require less maintenance also.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I guess that's true... If you are born at the top of the hill.;)

Anyone have a good source/data on how much the ICE is generally used directly to charge the battery? I know it's dependent on the driving conditions, but I've just assumed it's pretty minimal in city driving.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm guessing you mean this quote to support your position that the regenerative braking in a hybrid is something separate from using one of the motor-generators as a generator. It doesn't, and here's why...

You may have noticed that the definition you quoted doesn't say how the energy is recaptured.

In most (probably all) hybrids regenerative braking is done by putting one or more of the electric motor-generators into generator mode and using the kinetic energy of the vehicle to turn that generator. The generator's resistance to being turned (it takes energy to generate electricity) is what causes the reduction in vehicle speed -- the regenerative braking.

KeinoDoggy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
brnpttmn

You are correct. There seems to be a lot of misunderstandings here on how a modern hybrid works. I've been driving one for 10 years so I feel I have a grasp of how hybrids function. There is no gas usage at stops or idling. If you idle long enough, and the battery's charge drops low enough, the computer will start the engine to charge the traction battery. That time The ICE only runs when the computer tells it to. Other than the aerodynamic differences between a Prius and a Maverick, the difference between each vehicles city mileage and highway mileage should not differ greatly. The biggest factor to the mpg on a hybrid is the driver.
Sponsored