Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford C Max SE, 2022 Maverick First Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have a 2015 Ford C max that had a 42/37/40 combined mpg with 166000 miles on it now and have an average of 41.6 mpg since new. This was the vehicle that Ford had rated at 48 mpg orginally and had to pay buyers almost $ 1000 for bad advertising.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
On a route with rolling hills this is easily reproducible.
Wait are you saying it's more efficient to use gas to go up a hill, shut off the engine, use regen braking to charge the battery going down hill, and drive in electric only going up the hill with the engine turning on towards the end (not all energy was captured); compared to driving with gas engine at constant RPM on a flat surface?

Not necessarily disagreeing, it's an interesting situation.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wait are you saying it's more efficient to use gas to go up a hill, shut off the engine, use regen braking to charge the battery going down hill, and drive in electric only going up the hill with the engine turning on towards the end (not all energy was captured); compared to driving with gas engine at constant RPM on a flat surface?
Interesting thought experiment.

In a perfectly efficient world all the energy used to increase your altitude on the hills (but not the energy used to move you forward) could be recaptured by the regeneration system and stored in the battery. (Ignoring friction, etc., that will affect both ICE and hybrid)

But none of this perfection exists. The motor, the recapture system, and the battery all waste some of the energy that is provided to them.

Given that all the energy available originally comes from chemical bonds in the gasoline, and that moving that energy through the electrical system creates losses at each step, I would lean toward ICE-at-best-RPM-on-flat-surface being most efficient. But who knows?

(BTW, ICE at constant RPM appears to be what the system tries to do at constant speed on highways -- if it can manage it. Coincidence? I don't think so...:alien:)

Sponsored

fbov

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape Hybrid
drove 50 miles in Nashville and got 50mpg
... at 30 mph. I get more like 60 mpg at that speed.

This would be city mileage, no electric when cruising at freeway speed.
False, in part. No EV above 85 mph, it's true. Below, there's no difference.
I read it was the 2013 model?
The original 47/47/47 ratings were changed in summer, 2013 (Ford used Fusion aero load on the taller C-Max) and again a year later (Ford had an error across the platform). My lifetime was 42 mpg. but that included winters.
Wait are you saying ....
Close. It's called "pulse and glide."

Pulse: use the ICE under high load (eg. uphill) at low RPM to maximize efficiency.
Glide: use EV under low load, to maximize the miles before the next ICE burn.

ICE burn uphill, EV glide down. It becomes second nature. No idea what you mean by that last part...

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Without the hybrid you'll be lucky to even get 30 on the hwy. I average 35 + in the city alone in my 100% petrol Honda. I do run premium but only to get the range, under a 11 gallon tank I'm cruising over 424 miles.

Sadly the Honda is a dog, but what utility. With the blessings (of you know who) I'm looking towards the Maverick in 2025. Hybrid of course, it would be my last vehicle. I'm building a camper and hitting the road, hope to die somewhere quiet alone and not in a old folks home being abused, humiliated and robbed by low-lives at minimum wage.
Who?

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Joe, forum rules.
No politics, religion, racism or mental health intervention allowed. And believe me when I say this forum has attracted some real whack-a-moles. Complete with persecution complex's.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Not necessarily disagreeing, it's an interesting situation.
You use the EV up the hill and regen down it. I’ve done this over a 15 mile stretch a few times in the misses’ Tucson and yielded 50-55mpg for the entire trip. The Tuscan Is rated @ 38mpg.
Obviously this won’t work on steeper hills, but on low rolling hills these systems thrive.

pnorwood54

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ALTO BLUE XTL AWD-4K-FX4-360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
when i fill up my Niro and then drive 3 miles downhill it shows 190 mpg

Sponsored

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You use the EV up the hill and regen down it. I’ve done this over a 15 mile stretch a few times in the misses’ Tucson and yielded 50-55mpg for the entire trip.
Have you checked the battery level before and after doing this?

I'm wondering if you are drawing down the battery over this 15 mile stretch, then having to recharge it in later driving.

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dang, for a minute my bubble was flying high and the you burst it. This hybrid was doing a slow speed pass around downtown Nashville at an average of about 14mph (100 minutes of driving to cover 50 miles)
Your math skills are very suspect.

100 minutes at 14 MPH travels 23.3 miles not 50 miles.

1h 41m 57s is 101.95 minutes or 1.7 hours

50.8 miles in 1.7 hours is 29.9 MPH average

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your math skills are very suspect.

100 minutes at 14 MPH travels 23.3 miles not 50 miles.

1h 41m 57s is 101.95 minutes or 1.7 hours

50.8 miles in 1.7 hours is 29.9 MPH average
*Insert clapping gif*

I don’t know how to insert a gif.

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Have you checked the battery level before and after doing this?

I'm wondering if you are drawing down the battery over this 15 mile stretch, then having to recharge it in later driving.
The SOC gauge never goes below 1/2 charged during that run.
Sponsored