First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Finally had a chance to take a decent drive today by myself. It was a beautiful day for a drive in the MIssouri River bottom on State Hwy 210 east of Kansas City Metro. This is a very flat road for about 35 mi with a 60 mph speed limit. There was the usual 20-30 mph Spring wind hitting me at about 4 o'clock. With the CC set at 62mph the Instant MPG meter was showing between 35-40 MPG for this 15 mile segment of the drive. Next section was a rural lettered state road for 10 miles. Lots of 45-55 mph smooth blacktop with a few nice sweepers for the 1st half of this section. The MPG with a tailwind on this section showed a lot of Electric only use, probably about half. The 2nd half of this 10 mile section of rural road is up down and all around. The third leg of the trip back home was a few miles of 60mph driving into the headwind. It was showing 33-40 mpg depending of angle into the wind and my speed. The last 13 miles back to home was divided into a 6 mile 35 mph slog through small bergs. The last few miles were again a state lettered route with a 55 mph with lots of hills and curves (fun curves) This section of my drive probably averaged 50+Mpg.

Driving dynamics were better than expected. On long constant radius curves it takes a nice set and needs little correction to maintain it path. If you give it some throttle in the curve it understeers somewhere between lightly and moderately. The Maverick tracks well. Seems less affected by grooves in the pavement than the Venza. The biggest surprise is when I had a steep climb at about 35 mph, on a somewhat washboarded road. I have driven this hills on this stretch of road for 26 yrs in various vehicles and this went through the ripples as smooth as the best in the past. It will corner aggressively if you desire but than brings on some moderate body lean. A sports car it is not but drives nice. At 80% it is fun, past that and it is work.

The later half of the drive it got hot on the dark blue dash when driving into the sun. The A/C worked very well when set at 65F. Just used the simple ECON mode today and it chilled off quickly. In comparison to the Venza it runs more in EV mode probably 25% more.

The power 8-way drivers seats is easy to get comfortable in. The controls work well and make fine adjustments easily if you want. The cushion is just a touch short, but the Venza was about the same. In 2 days I am more comfortable with the Ford tech than the Toyota Tech in 6 months. It is just more Logical 🖖 I would have no qualms about long tripping in the Maverick

Some eye candy from after the drive, for the frugal folks on BITOG where it is also posted yesterday.
Ford Maverick 50 Mile Maverick Hybrid Trip today. {filename}
Sponsored

Last edited:

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well done, congratulations, and welcome to the driving "club" ........ agree wholeheartedly that the Maverick is very enjoyable to drive.

Researched the powertrain some months ago: The new engine/eMotor/MotorRegen setup is very different in the Maverick than what is in the industry today.
> The eMotor is a newly designed configuration like that of the Performance/Long Range rear eMotors on the Tesla Model S and Model 3.
> The MotorRegen (regenerative motor) activates as soon as you let off the accelerator, just like the Prius Prime or any PHEV, thus creating a PHEV but without the plug (while driving).
> This is why it is different from the Venza, or my Prius non-Prime vehicles.

Just my 2 cents ...... Have continued fun :)

robb01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Great report! Some of my favorite country down in the Mo Ozarks region
Sponsored