First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All right, forgive the poor pics and formatting -- I'm not an expert at posting to any forum . . . but I do feel for everyone waiting on their hybrids and other Mavericks and felt like I should give you a bit of a "long-term" review since I've had my Maverick since October 11. I've included the obligatory photos (including a shout-out to my local dealer -- honest, upfront, very helpful), along with horrible pics of payload, towing capacity, etc.

My Maverick is a 2.0, of course, outfitted with the AWD, XLT package, FX4, sunroof, sliding back window, hard tonneau, copilot-360, and the black rims + all-terrain pirellis. I think that covers all the packaging folks would be curious about. From here, I'll just try to comment on things I've seen posted frequently and/or my overall impressions.

* I've driven it almost 1700 miles, almost an exact split between highway and city miles (very little interstate). I figure my MPGs the old-fashioned way, and I've gotten 28, 27.5, 27, and 26 on the four tanks so far (not in that order -- obviously, the more highway miles, the better the mileage). The FORD trip computer has been about 1.0 to 1.5 mpgs high in its estimate each time. Always 87 octane, and the oil monitor still shows almost 90% oil life.

* I've never owned a Ford, but I'm completely happy with the fit and ride of this little truck to this point. It's not designed to be a luxury vehicle, but nothing rattles, and I haven't noticed any surfaces that seem overly prone to wear and tear. I like the orange accents, and I feel like the cloth seats are very comfortable (I didn't like the Lariat interior and remain really happy with my choice).

* Seat adjustments are easy, as are radio, A/C controls -- everything is simple and intuitive. I'll get used to the turn dial rather than a shifter. Sunroof works great with no leaks, to this point.

* I do find the bluetooth and Apple Carplay a bit clunky. It takes it a bit to recognize the presence of my phone each time, and the music quality is far superior via the Carplay link vs. bluetooth (to be expected, but still a notable difference in quality). FM radio does seem to have a weak signal, but I prefer listening to my own music, so not a big concern for me. Sounds system seems good to me, but I'm 50+, so take that under advisement if you have young ears.

* I don't typically tow anything sizeable, thus the reason I didn't get the tow package. For what I need, this truck is the perfect size. I've carried a few bikes around, as well as kayaks and a few other loads for yard work, etc., and I love the easy bed access, the height, and the multiple spots for straps, etc. Just well-designed and functional.

* I haven't done any significant off-roading (nor will I -- not the right vehicle for too much of that) but it handles Arkansas dirt roads fine and I'm confident the AWD will be perfect for the ice we get in the winter. I've never had a Ford with sport mode, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I've found that actually stepping on the throttle makes it more sporty . . . my version of Eco Mode is just driving like a granny. It seems to do either fine.

* I have not noticed any hood flutter (as some have seen), nor have I had any issues with my paint job or fit and finish items (window seals, etc). Everything is good and holding up well. Back sliding window is small, but opens/closes easily and doesn't obstruct visibility.

* In terms of overall impressions, I'm really, sincerely happy. I most recently drove a Honda Ridgeline and was getting 16 MPG in the city, which is where most of my driving occurs. I infrequently need a large truck bed, but like having that access when necessary. I never tow. So stepping down to a smaller truck really appealed to me (the Honda was a 2007 with 235,000 miles too, so it was time). Considering the chip crisis, I feel like MSRP for this Maverick was good value, I love the increase in MPGs, and I'm really happy with something that zips into city parking spots but can also handle a dirt road or carry my golf clubs, bikes, and kayaks (I do have an extender kayak rack which works perfectly in the Maverick hitch). It definitely drives more like a small SUV than a truck, so if you like that "big truck impervious" feeling . . . you won't have it in the Maverick. But it also doesn't feel small (the interior is really spacious in design, in my opinion), it sits up better than a sedan, and the sight lines are good. All in all, I feel like it's great value and a return to the good old days of small, workhorse trucks (I owned an old Mazda B-series back in the 80s, and this reminds me of that -- albeit it drives a bit better and has more interior room).

* I suspect all of you Hybrid folks are going to be really, really happy -- personally, I'd encourage you to hang on and wait it out, as frustrating as it has been. The truck is as promised, and there's just not a real competitor on the market right now. I researched like crazy, and while the Santa Cruz does offer many of the same features, I definitely feel like its less a truck and more of a small SUV with a bed (and a much higher price tag with worse MPGS, in general). If you like luxury and have the money, I do suspect the Santa Crux is a better vehicle at the top end, but there's no competition in the middle to lower end. The Maverick is the real deal and I'm very satisfied after a month and a half of ownership. I don't post this to start a fight, challenge anyone else's opinion, or to stir up any controversy . . . just one middle-aged man's Maverick opinion 45-days in. Happy Thanksgiving!
IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG
Nice write up , Thank uou
Your Mav looks sharp!!
Sponsored

WJOHNM

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Equinox, redline. XLT,AWD,4KTOW,FX4 ,CO PILOT360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

All right, forgive the poor pics and formatting -- I'm not an expert at posting to any forum . . . but I do feel for everyone waiting on their hybrids and other Mavericks and felt like I should give you a bit of a "long-term" review since I've had my Maverick since October 11. I've included the obligatory photos (including a shout-out to my local dealer -- honest, upfront, very helpful), along with horrible pics of payload, towing capacity, etc.

My Maverick is a 2.0, of course, outfitted with the AWD, XLT package, FX4, sunroof, sliding back window, hard tonneau, copilot-360, and the black rims + all-terrain pirellis. I think that covers all the packaging folks would be curious about. From here, I'll just try to comment on things I've seen posted frequently and/or my overall impressions.

* I've driven it almost 1700 miles, almost an exact split between highway and city miles (very little interstate). I figure my MPGs the old-fashioned way, and I've gotten 28, 27.5, 27, and 26 on the four tanks so far (not in that order -- obviously, the more highway miles, the better the mileage). The FORD trip computer has been about 1.0 to 1.5 mpgs high in its estimate each time. Always 87 octane, and the oil monitor still shows almost 90% oil life.

* I've never owned a Ford, but I'm completely happy with the fit and ride of this little truck to this point. It's not designed to be a luxury vehicle, but nothing rattles, and I haven't noticed any surfaces that seem overly prone to wear and tear. I like the orange accents, and I feel like the cloth seats are very comfortable (I didn't like the Lariat interior and remain really happy with my choice).

* Seat adjustments are easy, as are radio, A/C controls -- everything is simple and intuitive. I'll get used to the turn dial rather than a shifter. Sunroof works great with no leaks, to this point.

* I do find the bluetooth and Apple Carplay a bit clunky. It takes it a bit to recognize the presence of my phone each time, and the music quality is far superior via the Carplay link vs. bluetooth (to be expected, but still a notable difference in quality). FM radio does seem to have a weak signal, but I prefer listening to my own music, so not a big concern for me. Sounds system seems good to me, but I'm 50+, so take that under advisement if you have young ears.

* I don't typically tow anything sizeable, thus the reason I didn't get the tow package. For what I need, this truck is the perfect size. I've carried a few bikes around, as well as kayaks and a few other loads for yard work, etc., and I love the easy bed access, the height, and the multiple spots for straps, etc. Just well-designed and functional.

* I haven't done any significant off-roading (nor will I -- not the right vehicle for too much of that) but it handles Arkansas dirt roads fine and I'm confident the AWD will be perfect for the ice we get in the winter. I've never had a Ford with sport mode, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I've found that actually stepping on the throttle makes it more sporty . . . my version of Eco Mode is just driving like a granny. It seems to do either fine.

* I have not noticed any hood flutter (as some have seen), nor have I had any issues with my paint job or fit and finish items (window seals, etc). Everything is good and holding up well. Back sliding window is small, but opens/closes easily and doesn't obstruct visibility.

* In terms of overall impressions, I'm really, sincerely happy. I most recently drove a Honda Ridgeline and was getting 16 MPG in the city, which is where most of my driving occurs. I infrequently need a large truck bed, but like having that access when necessary. I never tow. So stepping down to a smaller truck really appealed to me (the Honda was a 2007 with 235,000 miles too, so it was time). Considering the chip crisis, I feel like MSRP for this Maverick was good value, I love the increase in MPGs, and I'm really happy with something that zips into city parking spots but can also handle a dirt road or carry my golf clubs, bikes, and kayaks (I do have an extender kayak rack which works perfectly in the Maverick hitch). It definitely drives more like a small SUV than a truck, so if you like that "big truck impervious" feeling . . . you won't have it in the Maverick. But it also doesn't feel small (the interior is really spacious in design, in my opinion), it sits up better than a sedan, and the sight lines are good. All in all, I feel like it's great value and a return to the good old days of small, workhorse trucks (I owned an old Mazda B-series back in the 80s, and this reminds me of that -- albeit it drives a bit better and has more interior room).

* I suspect all of you Hybrid folks are going to be really, really happy -- personally, I'd encourage you to hang on and wait it out, as frustrating as it has been. The truck is as promised, and there's just not a real competitor on the market right now. I researched like crazy, and while the Santa Cruz does offer many of the same features, I definitely feel like its less a truck and more of a small SUV with a bed (and a much higher price tag with worse MPGS, in general). If you like luxury and have the money, I do suspect the Santa Crux is a better vehicle at the top end, but there's no competition in the middle to lower end. The Maverick is the real deal and I'm very satisfied after a month and a half of ownership. I don't post this to start a fight, challenge anyone else's opinion, or to stir up any controversy . . . just one middle-aged man's Maverick opinion 45-days in. Happy Thanksgiving!
IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG
Great review covered everything, am a little older than you but relate better with you than all the younger guys that can't wait to take their NEW truck apart when the get it, reminds me of my younger days and all the cars I ruined and would be rich now if I still had them and left them stock.
Maybe you can answer a question for me I also ordered the rear window in my XLT,lux,4k,FX4, for my dog so I don't freeze my ass off in the winter because she has to have the rear door window open so she can hang out, does the center head rest come out looks like part of the seat, it could be in her way looking out the window.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Nice review! Your truck is specced almost the same as the one I ordered with exception of the towing package and it's nice to hear you aren't having any issues.

I definitely prefer simpler accommodations in a car rather than lots of complicated luxury stuff and that was one of the things I liked about the maverick - no lux pack for me, either.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great job. Thanks for taking the time to post your review.

Baztek1

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GMC Terrain SLT AWD
Thanks for this well done review of your very sweet new Mav!

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

Sponsored

IslaDelDan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 & 2019 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ditto on the excellent real world review. I have a question. Many are updating tires. I'm on the fence. Don't drive off road much, and don't need an aggressive tire as most of my driving will be highway. What is your opinion of the Pirelli Scorpions? Happy Thanksgiving!

_zzz_

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Thanks. Can you share some pictures how does the truck look with the kayaks loaded?

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG
Thanks Greg, excellent review!
I have only had mine for a week but I echo your thoughts. Similarly equipped and the interior is far better than I anticipated as far as comfort and convenience. The driving experience is fun, smooth with plenty of power, I have a blast driving it. I put 245’s on mine and my mpg dropped by about 2 mpg but the Falkens will pay off when the winter weather hits. I am enjoying my Maverick very much and I am getting a ton of attention everywhere that I go. My opinion, it’s a great buy for the price.

Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT 7F392A02-EA47-457E-A32E-994A4839CA4B

Jimpac

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review!

I got my Velocity Blue XLT AWD w/Co-pilot 360 on 10/8 with 2200 miles currently after a 1400 mile round trip to visit my father. Sounds like your experiences are similar to mine. I traded in a 2006 Chevy Colorado 2WD crew cab, and am very happy with the Maverick so far. No tow, FX4, or lux package on mine. Spray-in bed liner added after purchase. Am debating adding heated seats (was quoted cost of $400 to do this at the dealership). I did have to take it into the dealer earlier this week after getting a warning light (and notification on the Fordpass app) noting an issue with the restraint system which turned out to be a loose connector to the driver's side airbag. I like to hold onto my vehicles for a long time, and am confident that I'll get well over a decade of use out of the Maverick.

OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Thanks for the morale boost. Hybrid order holder here. Glad to hear someone's truly enjoying their truck.

Do you miss your side opening tailgate? How about the under bed compartment? How about the power? Does it feel equally capable than your previous one?
I never really utilized the side-opening tailgate, so I guess I don't miss it. I know the shorter stature of the Maverick makes it really handy to utilize the bed, so I think that makes it even with the Honda. As for the under-bed compartment, I will miss that -- a very handy feature. Most of what I kept in there (tie-downs, ratchets, etc.) fits under the Maverick's seat, but not everything. And I used that spot for things that were wet/spill hazards, etc., which I'll miss. I do like the Maverick's bedliner, and I know I can wash it out easily enough, but the Honda compartment was a huge plus. And, finally, the Honda power would be more missed if I hauled much, I suspect. Now, don't misunderstand -- you can definitely feel the downgrade from the Honda to the Maverick . . . but the Maverick has enough "pep" through the Ecoboost that you aren't constantly thinking about the missing power. Again, I suspect it would be more obvious if I was hauling/towing, but I do that so irregularly that I don't figure it will matter overall. I'm more than happy with the increase in MPGs, and I really like how responsive the Maverick is when I have to "step on it" for a little more power or to merge, climb a hill, etc. All in all, I definitely think I can do everything in the Maverick that I could do in the Honda -- so it's good for me. But I'd never want to be quoted as saying that it is just as capable as the Honda. The Ridgeline was a great unibody truck -- plenty of power, nice ride, dependable . . . just maybe more truck than I needed or wanted to pay for going forward.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Great review!

I got my Velocity Blue XLT AWD w/Co-pilot 360 on 10/8 with 2200 miles currently after a 1400 mile round trip to visit my father. Sounds like your experiences are similar to mine. I traded in a 2006 Chevy Colorado 2WD crew cab, and am very happy with the Maverick so far. No tow, FX4, or lux package on mine. Spray-in bed liner added after purchase. Am debating adding heated seats (was quoted cost of $400 to do this at the dealership). I did have to take it into the dealer earlier this week after getting a warning light (and notification on the Fordpass app) noting an issue with the restraint system which turned out to be a loose connector to the driver's side airbag. I like to hold onto my vehicles for a long time, and am confident that I'll get well over a decade of use out of the Maverick.
I forgot to mention how much I like the heated seats and the heated steering wheel on the Maverick! I definitely don't regret those two upgrades.

OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Great review covered everything, am a little older than you but relate better with you than all the younger guys that can't wait to take their NEW truck apart when the get it, reminds me of my younger days and all the cars I ruined and would be rich now if I still had them and left them stock.
Maybe you can answer a question for me I also ordered the rear window in my XLT,lux,4k,FX4, for my dog so I don't freeze my ass off in the winter because she has to have the rear door window open so she can hang out, does the center head rest come out looks like part of the seat, it could be in her way looking out the window.
I just fiddled with that little center head rest -- I couldn't find a quick/easy way to remove it, but I'm not very mechanically inclined. It felt like one piece, but I could be wrong. It probably matters as to the size of your dog how it will impact things. It really doesn't protrude above the sliding rear window, and I have the center cup-holder console . . . which a smaller dog could easily stand on and increase their ability to look out the window. Hope this helps a bit!

OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Awesome real world review!
Envious of your Maverick, golfing, kayaking, biking, dirt road lifestyle! Sounds like heaven
Arkansas deserves much of its reputation -- but it gets a bad rap, too. I live in the northwest/north central part of the state and can drive to multiple state parks, lakes, small mountains in 15 minutes or less. It's a beautiful slice of the country and the cost of living isn't too bad, either.

OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Ditto on the excellent real world review. I have a question. Many are updating tires. I'm on the fence. Don't drive off road much, and don't need an aggressive tire as most of my driving will be highway. What is your opinion of the Pirelli Scorpions? Happy Thanksgiving!
I'm not a tire guru, but they don't have very much road noise, I haven't noticed any slippage in the rain, and they've been fine the few times I've been on a dirt road. Honestly, I don't see any compelling reason why I'd swap them out at this point. I'd probably feel different if I lived further north and was facing more snow and ice (in my opinion, they don't really look or feel like true bad weather tires), and I'd probably feel different if I regularly drove in mud/muck (again, they don't really look or feel like true off-road tires). They look sportier than a regular tire, but they aren't really a noticeable upgrade . . . but that's fine for my usage.
Sponsored