Sponsored

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
All right, forgive the poor pics and formatting -- I'm not an expert at posting to any forum . . . but I do feel for everyone waiting on their hybrids and other Mavericks and felt like I should give you a bit of a "long-term" review since I've had my Maverick since October 11. I've included the obligatory photos (including a shout-out to my local dealer -- honest, upfront, very helpful), along with horrible pics of payload, towing capacity, etc.

My Maverick is a 2.0, of course, outfitted with the AWD, XLT Lux package, FX4, sunroof, sliding back window, hard tonneau, copilot-360, and the black rims + all-terrain pirellis. I think that covers all the packaging folks would be curious about. From here, I'll just try to comment on things I've seen posted frequently and/or my overall impressions.

* I've driven it almost 1700 miles, almost an exact split between highway and city miles (very little interstate). I figure my MPGs the old-fashioned way, and I've gotten 28, 27.5, 27, and 26 on the four tanks so far (not in that order -- obviously, the more highway miles, the better the mileage). The FORD trip computer has been about 1.0 to 1.5 mpgs high in its estimate each time. Always 87 octane, and the oil monitor still shows almost 90% oil life.

* I've never owned a Ford, but I'm completely happy with the fit and ride of this little truck to this point. It's not designed to be a luxury vehicle, but nothing rattles, and I haven't noticed any surfaces that seem overly prone to wear and tear. I like the orange accents, and I feel like the cloth seats are very comfortable (I didn't like the Lariat interior and remain really happy with my choice).

* Seat adjustments are easy, as are radio, A/C controls -- everything is simple and intuitive. I'll get used to the turn dial rather than a shifter. Sunroof works great with no leaks, to this point.

* I do find the bluetooth and Apple Carplay a bit clunky. It takes it a bit to recognize the presence of my phone each time, and the music quality is far superior via the Carplay link vs. bluetooth (to be expected, but still a notable difference in quality). FM radio does seem to have a weak signal, but I prefer listening to my own music, so not a big concern for me. Sounds system seems good to me, but I'm 50+, so take that under advisement if you have young ears.

* I don't typically tow anything sizeable, thus the reason I didn't get the tow package. For what I need, this truck is the perfect size. I've carried a few bikes around, as well as kayaks and a few other loads for yard work, etc., and I love the easy bed access, the height, and the multiple spots for straps, etc. Just well-designed and functional.

* I haven't done any significant off-roading (nor will I -- not the right vehicle for too much of that) but it handles Arkansas dirt roads fine and I'm confident the AWD will be perfect for the ice we get in the winter. I've never had a Ford with sport mode, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I've found that actually stepping on the throttle makes it more sporty . . . my version of Eco Mode is just driving like a granny. It seems to do either fine.

* I have not noticed any hood flutter (as some have seen), nor have I had any issues with my paint job or fit and finish items (window seals, etc). Everything is good and holding up well. Back sliding window is small, but opens/closes easily and doesn't obstruct visibility.

* In terms of overall impressions, I'm really, sincerely happy. I most recently drove a Honda Ridgeline and was getting 16 MPG in the city, which is where most of my driving occurs. I infrequently need a large truck bed, but like having that access when necessary. I never tow. So stepping down to a smaller truck really appealed to me (the Honda was a 2007 with 235,000 miles too, so it was time). Considering the chip crisis, I feel like MSRP for this Maverick was good value, I love the increase in MPGs, and I'm really happy with something that zips into city parking spots but can also handle a dirt road or carry my golf clubs, bikes, and kayaks (I do have an extender kayak rack which works perfectly in the Maverick hitch). It definitely drives more like a small SUV than a truck, so if you like that "big truck impervious" feeling . . . you won't have it in the Maverick. But it also doesn't feel small (the interior is really spacious in design, in my opinion), it sits up better than a sedan, and the sight lines are good. All in all, I feel like it's great value and a return to the good old days of small, workhorse trucks (I owned an old Mazda B-series back in the 80s, and this reminds me of that -- albeit it drives a bit better and has more interior room).

* I suspect all of you Hybrid folks are going to be really, really happy -- personally, I'd encourage you to hang on and wait it out, as frustrating as it has been. The truck is as promised, and there's just not a real competitor on the market right now. I researched like crazy, and while the Santa Cruz does offer many of the same features, I definitely feel like its less a truck and more of a small SUV with a bed (and a much higher price tag with worse MPGS, in general). If you like luxury and have the money, I do suspect the Santa Crux is a better vehicle at the top end, but there's no competition in the middle to lower end. The Maverick is the real deal and I'm very satisfied after a month and a half of ownership. I don't post this to start a fight, challenge anyone else's opinion, or to stir up any controversy . . . just one middle-aged man's Maverick opinion 45-days in. Happy Thanksgiving!
Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT IMG_5621 (1).JPG
Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT cogswell
Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT IMG_5619 (2).JPG
Ford Maverick 45 Day Owner Review of Maverick XLT load.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Midwest Jim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the review. In 6? Months, I too will be replacing my gen 1 Ridgeline with an EB Maverick. I'm looking forward to the significant MPG improvement. How is cabin noise compared to the RL? Did you struggle with parting with a reliable truck for a new model?

Meintc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lynette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All right, forgive the poor pics and formatting -- I'm not an expert at posting to any forum . . . but I do feel for everyone waiting on their hybrids and other Mavericks and felt like I should give you a bit of a "long-term" review since I've had my Maverick since October 11. I've included the obligatory photos (including a shout-out to my local dealer -- honest, upfront, very helpful), along with horrible pics of payload, towing capacity, etc.

My Maverick is a 2.0, of course, outfitted with the AWD, XLT package, FX4, sunroof, sliding back window, hard tonneau, copilot-360, and the black rims + all-terrain pirellis. I think that covers all the packaging folks would be curious about. From here, I'll just try to comment on things I've seen posted frequently and/or my overall impressions.

* I've driven it almost 1700 miles, almost an exact split between highway and city miles (very little interstate). I figure my MPGs the old-fashioned way, and I've gotten 28, 27.5, 27, and 26 on the four tanks so far (not in that order -- obviously, the more highway miles, the better the mileage). The FORD trip computer has been about 1.0 to 1.5 mpgs high in its estimate each time. Always 87 octane, and the oil monitor still shows almost 90% oil life.

* I've never owned a Ford, but I'm completely happy with the fit and ride of this little truck to this point. It's not designed to be a luxury vehicle, but nothing rattles, and I haven't noticed any surfaces that seem overly prone to wear and tear. I like the orange accents, and I feel like the cloth seats are very comfortable (I didn't like the Lariat interior and remain really happy with my choice).

* Seat adjustments are easy, as are radio, A/C controls -- everything is simple and intuitive. I'll get used to the turn dial rather than a shifter. Sunroof works great with no leaks, to this point.

* I do find the bluetooth and Apple Carplay a bit clunky. It takes it a bit to recognize the presence of my phone each time, and the music quality is far superior via the Carplay link vs. bluetooth (to be expected, but still a notable difference in quality). FM radio does seem to have a weak signal, but I prefer listening to my own music, so not a big concern for me. Sounds system seems good to me, but I'm 50+, so take that under advisement if you have young ears.

* I don't typically tow anything sizeable, thus the reason I didn't get the tow package. For what I need, this truck is the perfect size. I've carried a few bikes around, as well as kayaks and a few other loads for yard work, etc., and I love the easy bed access, the height, and the multiple spots for straps, etc. Just well-designed and functional.

* I haven't done any significant off-roading (nor will I -- not the right vehicle for too much of that) but it handles Arkansas dirt roads fine and I'm confident the AWD will be perfect for the ice we get in the winter. I've never had a Ford with sport mode, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing. I've found that actually stepping on the throttle makes it more sporty . . . my version of Eco Mode is just driving like a granny. It seems to do either fine.

* I have not noticed any hood flutter (as some have seen), nor have I had any issues with my paint job or fit and finish items (window seals, etc). Everything is good and holding up well. Back sliding window is small, but opens/closes easily and doesn't obstruct visibility.

* In terms of overall impressions, I'm really, sincerely happy. I most recently drove a Honda Ridgeline and was getting 16 MPG in the city, which is where most of my driving occurs. I infrequently need a large truck bed, but like having that access when necessary. I never tow. So stepping down to a smaller truck really appealed to me (the Honda was a 2007 with 235,000 miles too, so it was time). Considering the chip crisis, I feel like MSRP for this Maverick was good value, I love the increase in MPGs, and I'm really happy with something that zips into city parking spots but can also handle a dirt road or carry my golf clubs, bikes, and kayaks (I do have an extender kayak rack which works perfectly in the Maverick hitch). It definitely drives more like a small SUV than a truck, so if you like that "big truck impervious" feeling . . . you won't have it in the Maverick. But it also doesn't feel small (the interior is really spacious in design, in my opinion), it sits up better than a sedan, and the sight lines are good. All in all, I feel like it's great value and a return to the good old days of small, workhorse trucks (I owned an old Mazda B-series back in the 80s, and this reminds me of that -- albeit it drives a bit better and has more interior room).

* I suspect all of you Hybrid folks are going to be really, really happy -- personally, I'd encourage you to hang on and wait it out, as frustrating as it has been. The truck is as promised, and there's just not a real competitor on the market right now. I researched like crazy, and while the Santa Cruz does offer many of the same features, I definitely feel like its less a truck and more of a small SUV with a bed (and a much higher price tag with worse MPGS, in general). If you like luxury and have the money, I do suspect the Santa Crux is a better vehicle at the top end, but there's no competition in the middle to lower end. The Maverick is the real deal and I'm very satisfied after a month and a half of ownership. I don't post this to start a fight, challenge anyone else's opinion, or to stir up any controversy . . . just one middle-aged man's Maverick opinion 45-days in. Happy Thanksgiving!
IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG
Thank you for your very informative review. I too am looking forward to getting my truck.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really good review. Appreciate hearing it from someone who's been driving their Mav around a little while! Happy Turkey Day!

Reactions: bgn

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank your sharing your experiences with us. I am really glad and excited to hear all this. Mine is still in transit and hoping it shows up any day now. I think you are right about those getting the Hybrid. I think Ford put together a standard setup that will please a lot of folks. I kinda wish I had stayed the course on the Hybrid rather than switching to the Ecoboost. But I needed a vehicle sooner, so I switched. Nothing says next year I can upgrade to a 2023 Hybrid. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great write-up. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP

GregS

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline
Thanks for the review. In 6? Months, I too will be replacing my gen 1 Ridgeline with an EB Maverick. I'm looking forward to the significant MPG improvement. How is cabin noise compared to the RL? Did you struggle with parting with a reliable truck for a new model?
I definitely believe the Ridgeline was quieter, but cabin noise has never been something I'm too picky about. Of course, I also play music virtually every moment I'm in the vehicle, so I rarely notice the cabin noise! I've owned several Hondas and like you, I know they are reliable. But I figured I was pushing my luck with a 14-year-old model -- sooner or later, I was going to have to sink deep money into repairs. Now I have a 3-year, 36,000 bumper to bumper warranty; if I don't like the reliability I see in that window of time, I'll probably trade it . . . if all goes well, I'll keep it for a good, long while. But I've certainly given some thought to buying a first-year model of a new launch. If the Ecoboost engine and platform hadn't been used in multiple models, I doubt I would have purchased one this quickly. We'll see how things go -- so far, so good!

Brewmstr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thank you so much for this awesome review. Safe travels.

2517X

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review! I sold my Ridgeline in August thinking the price had about peaked. So driving a Chevy Spark now that we usually tow behind the motor home. The Maverick should seem spacious compared to the Spark. The Spark gets 37.4 MPG average, so I'm getting used to the mileage and looking forward the having a truck again.

nunucello

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Marcello
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My Maverick is a 2.0, of course, outfitted with the AWD, XLT package, FX4, sunroof, sliding back window, hard tonneau, copilot-360, and the black rims + all-terrain pirellis. I think that covers all the packaging folks would be curious about. From here, I'll just try to comment on things I've seen posted frequently and/or my overall impressions.

IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG
Great review

Sponsored

Hot pepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG
Great review, enjoyed reading it. Still waiting for my Hot Pepper Red Maverick, have not received my VIN number from Ford yet, which is fine since I am not in a hurry to get it. Wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving!

djw479

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Mav Lariat Lux / '90 ZR-1 / '03 Yamaha V-Max
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

GregS, thanks for taking time to provide a lengthy review.

I'm patiently (NOT) waiting for my Hybrid, but enjoy reading about all drivetrain configs to get a feel for the overall vehicle.

Hope you give us another update when you get a few more months into ownership...as I imagine I will still be awaiting my new ride.

Happy T-Day everyone!

HybridOnOrder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to be: Maverick XLT, Lux PKG, Moonroof, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

IMG_5621 (1).JPG
cogswell.png
IMG_5619 (2).JPG
load.JPG

HybridOnOrder

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to be: Maverick XLT, Lux PKG, Moonroof, 360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Awesome real world review!
Envious of your Maverick, golfing, kayaking, biking, dirt road lifestyle! Sounds like heaven

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the morale boost. Hybrid order holder here. Glad to hear someone's truly enjoying their truck.

Do you miss your side opening tailgate? How about the under bed compartment? How about the power? Does it feel equally capable than your previous one?
Sponsored