First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Escape; 2006 Pontiac Grand Prix
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Vehicle: 2022 Maverick, 2.0, Lariat, 360, 4k tow, with a Truxedo soft roll up bed cover.

Disclaimer: I am not a technician, car aficionado, or an expert on all the nuances of a driving machine. I'm just a driver who enjoys driving, and a nice vehicle.

That aside, my wife and I recently completed a 4000+ mile road trip from Phoenix, AZ to mid Michigan in our new Maverick. It was not a "pleasure" ride, but to attend a memorial service or a relative who had passed away. So it was an "out and back" with no side trips or excursions. It was mostly on Interstate highways or 4-lane highways. On the freeways the adaptive cruise was usually set at a constant 73 MPH. The trip covered all sorts of terrain and weather conditions, up the mountains out of Phoenix, through quite a bit of rain, some quite heavy, and some strong cross winds.

I liked the Maverick before we left, and I love it now. What a smooth comfortable ride! I have a fair amount of back and hip pain and normally require my wife to drive a significant portion on trips to give me a break. But on this trip I drove the entire 4226 miles with none of the discomfort I expected, without any medication, and without needing to stop every couple of hours. I was completely and pleasantly surprised by this.

The Mav handled the road conditions, traffic, and weather like a champ. Held steady in the very strong cross winds. The only thing that made it shudder a little was a wicked little dust devil that snuck out from an overpass in New Mexico. And completely unaffected when passing or being passed by tractor-trailers.

I love the surprising amount of "juice" it has when needed to make some passes on a few two lane roads.

I ran it almost exclusively in ECO mode and I tend to be a conservative driver so I am generally going to get a little better gas mileage than the average. I had hoped to average better than 30 MPG, and after getting out of the AZ mountains it was in the 26 range, but gradually improved to average over 32 for the entire trip.

Images are outgoing, return and overall.

As an added bonus, the Truxedo tonneau cover performed perfectly...not a drop of water in the bed despite some pretty heavy downpours.

Ford Maverick 4000+ mile cross country road trip Outgoin

Ford Maverick 4000+ mile cross country road trip Return

Ford Maverick 4000+ mile cross country road trip Complete
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

LeersMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Maximus GP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PriusV, Sonata PHEV, F-50 Mavrick Lariat Hybrid FE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great story, especially about the hip and back issues. Surprisingly comfy seats.

Akuma72387

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ya I have 14k on my ecoboost maverick and usually get between 29-31 but I live in Maine which I'd pretty hill laden and haven't had any problems even in the winter storms the truck stayed completely stable like they weren't there

Imlooney

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks for the review. I live in Kearny AZ and have yet to even see a Maverick so this is the kind of review that is very informative. Especially that it was comfortable for those of us who have back pain. I'm 75 and this is my last truck and I made the decision to order one. Thanks again for the review.

BlacKawh

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Great review! I'd love to hear about what you thought of the 360 system. Did the features cause you less stress than if you didn't have I?

Sponsored

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Vehicle: 2022 Maverick, 2.0, Lariat, 360, 4k tow, with a Truxedo soft roll up bed cover.

Disclaimer: I am not a technician, car aficionado, or an expert on all the nuances of a driving machine. I'm just a driver who enjoys driving, and a nice vehicle.

That aside, my wife and I recently completed a 4000+ mile road trip from Phoenix, AZ to mid Michigan in our new Maverick. It was not a "pleasure" ride, but to attend a memorial service or a relative who had passed away. So it was an "out and back" with no side trips or excursions. It was mostly on Interstate highways or 4-lane highways. On the freeways the adaptive cruise was usually set at a constant 73 MPH. The trip covered all sorts of terrain and weather conditions, up the mountains out of Phoenix, through quite a bit of rain, some quite heavy, and some strong cross winds.

I liked the Maverick before we left, and I love it now. What a smooth comfortable ride! I have a fair amount of back and hip pain and normally require my wife to drive a significant portion on trips to give me a break. But on this trip I drove the entire 4226 miles with none of the discomfort I expected, without any medication, and without needing to stop every couple of hours. I was completely and pleasantly surprised by this.

The Mav handled the road conditions, traffic, and weather like a champ. Held steady in the very strong cross winds. The only thing that made it shudder a little was a wicked little dust devil that snuck out from an overpass in New Mexico. And completely unaffected when passing or being passed by tractor-trailers.

I love the surprising amount of "juice" it has when needed to make some passes on a few two lane roads.

I ran it almost exclusively in ECO mode and I tend to be a conservative driver so I am generally going to get a little better gas mileage than the average. I had hoped to average better than 30 MPG, and after getting out of the AZ mountains it was in the 26 range, but gradually improved to average over 32 for the entire trip.

Images are outgoing, return and overall.

As an added bonus, the Truxedo tonneau cover performed perfectly...not a drop of water in the bed despite some pretty heavy downpours.

Outgoing.jpg

Return.jpg

Complete.jpg
Which Truxedo did you buy? The Truxport has had some bad reviews so I’m curious 🤨

OP
OP
Skeeziks

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Which Truxedo did you buy? The Truxport has had some bad reviews so I’m curious 🤨
I ordered the Truxport despite some concern about the reviews but it has turned out great. As has been reported it could stand to be about an inch longer. I took some time installing it, making adjustments along the way. The main thing I think was getting the weather striping as close to the edge of the bulkhead as possible but still with a good seal. It took a couple of tries, but worth it. Honestly, I was surprised when I dropped the tailgate after driving through a downpour and didn't see a drop of water anywhere on the bed.

OP
OP
Skeeziks

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review! I'd love to hear about what you thought of the 360 system. Did the features cause you less stress than if you didn't have I?
The only thing I don't use is Lane Keeping Assist...It's too much of an annoyance for me. I love, love, love freeway driving with the Adaptive Cruise Control, only rarely using either the brake or accelerator. I also think that contributes to the physical comfort level with the ability to position and reposition my feet however it's most comfortable. I was able to drive for hours without feeling the need to stop.
I also really like both the Auto Start/Stop and Stop and Go brake assist. I know not everyone likes the start/stop feature but once you adapt to it, it's hardly noticeable, and certainly contributes to gas savings when sitting at a long stop light. The brake assist is another thing you have to get used to but I really like not having to keep my foot on the brake pedal, and is particularly useful when stopped on a hill. The cross traffic alert is great also especially when backing out of a parking spot.

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I ordered the Truxport despite some concern about the reviews but it has turned out great. As has been reported it could stand to be about an inch longer. I took some time installing it, making adjustments along the way. The main thing I think was getting the weather striping as close to the edge of the bulkhead as possible but still with a good seal. It took a couple of tries, but worth it. Honestly, I was surprised when I dropped the tailgate after driving through a downpour and didn't see a drop of water anywhere on the bed.
Thanks for the info. I was concerned as well after reading the reviews. Also surprised because I’ve owned 2 of them in the past and had no issues. In fact I would always drive through car wash and rarely if ever get water in the bed. I might have had to double up the weather stripping but don’t remember.

Question about fitment of weather stripping..when you say close to edge do you mean inside edge of bed or closer to the cab?

OP
OP
Skeeziks

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for the info. I was concerned as well after reading the reviews. Also surprised because I’ve owned 2 of them in the past and had no issues. In fact I would always drive through car wash and rarely if ever get water in the bed. I might have had to double up the weather stripping but don’t remember.

Question about fitment of weather stripping..when you say close to edge do you mean inside edge of bed or closer to the cab?
Close to the bed edge of the cab...if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Close the the bed edge of the cab...if that makes sense.
Not really. Did you square the frame in the hole or did you have to move it more towards the cab or more towards the tailgate?

OP
OP
Skeeziks

Skeeziks

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not really. Did you square the frame in the hole or did you have to move it more towards the cab or more towards the tailgate?
Moved it as far towards the tailgate as possible while still making good contact.

mistere213

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Great review and great to hear. My Hybrid Mav should be delivered in a couple of weeks and I'm planning an out and back trip to southern Utah from Michigan in October. Looks like I should be in good shape!

Mav_27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great review and great to hear. My Hybrid Mav should be delivered in a couple of weeks and I'm planning an out and back trip to southern Utah from Michigan in October. Looks like I should be in good shape!
I’ll be in front of you..going to Montana and Wyoming in late September! Going through the UP so I’m hoping for some colors left
Sponsored