Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Carb Grey, EB, Lariat Lux, 360, FX4, 4K

So I'm 6'6" about 235lbs athletic build and have owned F350s, 150s, and most recently had a 17' Outback limited. Obviously the big trucks have the most space and there's no denying that but as life went on I found that I can comfortably fit in bigger cars without much, if any discomfort. As a person who rides Mountain bikes and dirtbikes and travel often 2-10 hours for races and riding trips so comfort and hauling some payload is important to me and why the Lux and 4k packages was a must for my needs. The Maverick fits my frame well, I can relax while driving, my knee doesn't hit the dash(Looking at you Ranger), and the low center console offers a lot of available room so you don't feel constricted.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) 20220602_152516

Left foot resting on center console, crocs off, Lane centering and ACC doing the heavy lifting=pretty comfy ride.

While driving around town the Maverick is fine and thankfully I got to sit in one at a dealer before I ordered, the true test would be a road trip and so enters a excuse to drive home to Cleveland Ohio from San Antonio, TX. My girlfriends friend was getting married and given our experience flying this past holidays, and having a dog, driving was the only option and for me it was preferred. Google maps shows the trip as 1,444 miles and given the trip details from Trip 1 that i reset right before we headed out and then grabbed the picture as soon as i parked at my GFs moms so its pretty accurate after accounting for some detours to get chic fila breakfast lol

Traveling load:
myself (240)
GF(120)
Leia(Mini GoldenDoodle)
Mountain Bike
Hitch Rack
A couple Suit cases and other MISC items.
Estimated payload approx 650-750lbs

First trip leg mileage is below, biggest effect on MPG would probably be the wind from the MTB on the hitch rack. Whole drive was at 75-80mph when permissible outside of the hour and 45 minutes of traffic before and after Austin and construction zones and such.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) 1st le

1st Leg was 1460 miles at 26.8mpg. Average speed was about 57-60mph based off trip timer.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) 20220531_085120

So after arrival into Cleveland I spent the next 8 days or so commuting around town doing what not. a Few trips to some local mountain bike trails, A 240 mile round trip to Erie, PA for some dirt biking and just general day to day stuff. On the trip to Erie i got about 31mpg hauling the Dirtbike, loading ramp and riding gear. mainly highway at 70 mph.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) 20220603_131613

Fox factory Tailgate pad worked out fantastic.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) 20220604_134507

Leia Helping load up.

It was in the first few days at home that i finally saw another maverick, Carb grey as well and we exchanged enthusiastic waves while they passed me on the highway. I also was able to see a Santa Cruz and parked next to them. Respect Brah.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) 20220605_122201

So after a nice week or so home we headed back, this time a little lighter without the MTB and hitch rack. Drive down was a straight straight shot leaving at roughly 7am and parking the Mav at the apartment at 6am the next day. Drove mainly at 75mph the whole way and managed 33mpg the first 2/3rds of the trip but ended up netting the below average. Texas Roads are louder than any other state i drove through and just seem like they drag, no clue what they make them out of but the Gf and I both noticed it.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) 2nd le

At the end the trip totaled from leaving our apartment to parking it the day of return 3,571.8 miles and averaged 28.5mpg running 87 the whole trip and ECO mode(Forscan Enabled).

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) total

Final thoughts:
The Maverick is a winner for me. Comfortable for my size. And while the hybrid bros may scoff at my mileage, my old outback barely scratched 27mpg on the same trip, when hauling a dirtbike 24mpg, and don't get me started on the full-size trucks. So relatively speaking the EB does great, no need for drop shifting on hills, turbo just starts to spool and you feel the power start laying in much like my F350 did and I honestly missed that sensation. I have no quarrels with the interior and plastics, banged my Garmin fenix on them several times and nothing I couldn't wipe away, dog was all over the back seat and again, nothing of note. Being tall I always scuff the bottom of the door kickers and the maverick is holding up like any other vehicle I have owned. No issues with Sync 3 and the head unit, one small rock chip in the lower plastic bumper but hood, windshield, and all metal surfaces are scratch free. B&O was more than fine, ACC and Lane Centering were amazing and really takes a chunk of the load off long drive fatigue and using hearted seats helped with some mild lower backpain, My GF now regrets not getting Lane Centering and ACC it on her BS Badlands. I have driven from Cali to Ohio 6 times before, straight shot from New Orleans to Cleveland while towing, many 6-10 drives for races and riding and nothing has ever been as easy on my body as the Maverick has been. Value for what i paid is absolutely unmatched in this market today and even so when things were normal.

At this point I'm drawing a blank, any questions please ask. hopefully i didn't miss anything important.

Ford Maverick 3500+ Mile Trip in a Maverick (Tall Person Edition) total

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Note* I cant remove the last repeat picture.🤷‍♂️

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write up- Love the two wheel action- I know my KTM 690 would fit in the bed but too scary without 2 guys and a legit ramp for me to skip taking the trailer :)

What octane fuel were you running ?

OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great write up- Love the two wheel action- I know my KTM 690 would fit in the bed but too scary without 2 guys and a legit ramp for me to skip taking the trailer :)

What octane fuel were you running ?
I have a moto trailer for longer multi bike trips where i need to put gear in the bed. I have a 1190 adventure R which I realllllly don't want to load solo so if need be the trailer will be utilized.

I ran 87 the whole time. Was tempted to run ethanol free at one station but saw it was almost a dollar more than 87 and passed on it.

mistere213

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Love to hear it. I'll be taking a 4,000 mile trip with my Hybrid in late October with a bed full of camping gear. I'm sure I'll be just as thankful for the lane centering and ACC. Great write up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love to hear it. I'll be taking a 4,000 mile trip with my Hybrid in late October with a bed full of camping gear. I'm sure I'll be just as thankful for the lane centering and ACC. Great write up.
It's really a great combo and after one long haul the lariat Lux will feel absolutely worth it.

MikeyCNY

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat TREMOR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for sharing! I'm (only) 6'3" and was wondering how the fit was - I haven't been able to sit in a Mav yet but apparently mine is being built this week....

OP
OP
Jmav2152

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for sharing! I'm (only) 6'3" and was wondering how the fit was - I haven't been able to sit in a Mav yet but apparently mine is being built this week....
Congrats! With three inches less it should give you flexibility with rear passengers. I was able to drive around town a bit fine with my GF behind me who's 5'3". I wouldn't mind that fitment for maybe a hour but longer than that I'd get a little tired. In your case it should be a bit better

NJBob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2003 MR2, 2019 Forrester, 1969 Z/28
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love acc to bad you need the top trim Maverick to get it. Sant Cruz also requires the top trim. While many sedans offer it standard or maybe the middle trim.

CenTexMav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: Subaru WRX, Challanger RT, RAM 1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

With my XLT EB FWD I have no problem getting 29 mpg on the road without trying, I'm in the Austin area and have seen very few Mavericks so far. For the price, this truck is hard to beat with the room it has, flexibility and solid ride. Love this little truck.
Sponsored