Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Via Motortrend

An Electric Ford Maverick Lightning Could—and Probably Should—Happen
This is the Maverick Lightning we think could hit the streets in the near future.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-maverick-lightning-ev-truck/

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Lightning Electric Truck speculated & imagined (rendering) ford maverick lightning bev electric pickup truck 1

With both the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning (all-electric) and 2022 Maverick compact pickup (with its efficient hybrid powertrain option) already loose in our consciousnesses, the mind quickly turns to the white space in between. Ford is literally invested in electrifying its fleet, and the Maverick is launching with an electrified base powertrain. It's not too much of a leap to imagine a fully electric Ford Maverick truck—whether Ford called it the Maverick Lightning, or something else.

And this isn't a line of thought that Ford appears to be trying to quash. Instead, it's feeding the rumor, with Ford CEO Jim Farley telling The New York Times in an interview that the company is considering an electric version of the little pickup, while one of the company's PR representatives is tweeting wire-frame images of an electric pickup silhouette to some who've doubted the viability of a compact EV truck.

It seems, barring some unlikely series of events, that an electric Maverick will happen. It also seems that, judging by the little truck's front end styling, it may be a natural fit for the standard smooth-grille EV look, as seen on the F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E, and others. Filling in the upper portion—whether, as we imagine, smoothly in base models (as seen above) or with a stylish texture in higher trims (as seen below)—doesn't jar the eye thanks to the stylish bar linking the headlights and a bit of texture. And the smaller proportions of the Maverick's front end help; by comparison, the F-150 Lightning's filled-in grille looks overly wide between its small, wide-set headlights.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Lightning Electric Truck speculated & imagined (rendering) ford maverick lightning bev electric pickup truck 1

The wheels seen here are pulled straight from the F-150 Lightning's selection; they may not be representative of a design a Maverick EV would actually wear, but they follow the contemporary EV wheel styling tropes. Other changes are mostly minor: a charging door on the front fender, the bedside "LIGHTNING" badge, a partially-filled-in lower air intake.

Around back, however, the F-150 Lightning's taillight connection strip looks right at home adapted to the Maverick's rear proportions. Beyond that, the Maverick doesn't need much to visually communicate that it'd be right at home as an EV—something that would have been baked in, stylistically, right from the start of development.

Ford Maverick Ford Maverick Lightning Electric Truck speculated & imagined (rendering) ford maverick lightning bev electric pickup truck 2

The F-150 Lightning will, if all goes to plan, hit dealers in May 2022. We haven't had an official confirmation of an electric Maverick yet, although Ford seems to be spelling out that it's coming, so assume that a Ford Maverick Lightning would be announced in the next few months, with production trailing by roughly the same timeframe as its larger stablemate.
Sponsored

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
As I mentioned in the other thread that suggested an electric version of the Maverick - if it has dual (f/r) motors I'd buy it. Looking at the above photo, it does appear to have the AWD IRS, so it is possible that there will be an AWD electric Maverick.

zackmd1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429BB / 2019 Tesla Model 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Same as long as it’s AWD. Might end up trading my current 2.0 AWD (order) in for it when/if it arrives.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As I mentioned in the other thread that suggested an electric version of the Maverick - if it has dual (f/r) motors I'd buy it. Looking at the above photo, it does appear to have the AWD IRS, so it is possible that there will be an AWD electric Maverick.
It’s not a photo, it’s a rendering. An artist’s interpretation. The photo they based in on was an AWD model.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think the artist missed with not having the LED light bar above the grille like the F150 Lightening.

Gary in NJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
It’s not a photo, it’s a rendering. An artist’s interpretation. The photo they based in on was an AWD model.
I knew it was a rendering, but for some reason I thought it was a Ford rendering. If it’s not, then yeah, it’s a useless image.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I knew it was a rendering, but for some reason I thought it was a Ford rendering. If it’s not, then yeah, it’s a useless image.
The article came from Motor Trend. You’ve probably seen the white rear view Maverick rendering that they posted a few months ago.

Clyde Fromona

First Name
Clyde
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S10
Via Motortrend

An Electric Ford Maverick Lightning Could—and Probably Should—Happen
This is the Maverick Lightning we think could hit the streets in the near future.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-maverick-lightning-ev-truck/

ford maverick lightning bev electric pickup truck 1.jpg

With both the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning (all-electric) and 2022 Maverick compact pickup (with its efficient hybrid powertrain option) already loose in our consciousnesses, the mind quickly turns to the white space in between. Ford is literally invested in electrifying its fleet, and the Maverick is launching with an electrified base powertrain. It's not too much of a leap to imagine a fully electric Ford Maverick truck—whether Ford called it the Maverick Lightning, or something else.

And this isn't a line of thought that Ford appears to be trying to quash. Instead, it's feeding the rumor, with Ford CEO Jim Farley telling The New York Times in an interview that the company is considering an electric version of the little pickup, while one of the company's PR representatives is tweeting wire-frame images of an electric pickup silhouette to some who've doubted the viability of a compact EV truck.

It seems, barring some unlikely series of events, that an electric Maverick will happen. It also seems that, judging by the little truck's front end styling, it may be a natural fit for the standard smooth-grille EV look, as seen on the F-150 Lightning, Mustang Mach-E, and others. Filling in the upper portion—whether, as we imagine, smoothly in base models (as seen above) or with a stylish texture in higher trims (as seen below)—doesn't jar the eye thanks to the stylish bar linking the headlights and a bit of texture. And the smaller proportions of the Maverick's front end help; by comparison, the F-150 Lightning's filled-in grille looks overly wide between its small, wide-set headlights.

ford maverick lightning bev electric pickup truck 1.jpg

The wheels seen here are pulled straight from the F-150 Lightning's selection; they may not be representative of a design a Maverick EV would actually wear, but they follow the contemporary EV wheel styling tropes. Other changes are mostly minor: a charging door on the front fender, the bedside "LIGHTNING" badge, a partially-filled-in lower air intake.

Around back, however, the F-150 Lightning's taillight connection strip looks right at home adapted to the Maverick's rear proportions. Beyond that, the Maverick doesn't need much to visually communicate that it'd be right at home as an EV—something that would have been baked in, stylistically, right from the start of development.

ford maverick lightning bev electric pickup truck 2.jpg

The F-150 Lightning will, if all goes to plan, hit dealers in May 2022. We haven't had an official confirmation of an electric Maverick yet, although Ford seems to be spelling out that it's coming, so assume that a Ford Maverick Lightning would be announced in the next few months, with production trailing by roughly the same timeframe as its larger stablemate.
The article came from Motor Trend. You’ve probably seen the white rear view Maverick rendering that they posted a few months ago.
Up here in the Winter Frozen Tundra and Simmering Swamping Summers:
All electric vehicles range most likely could be equaled by a luxury golf cart.
How do all electrics warm the cabin when it's 10 below zero and cool the cabin when 100 degrees above during a 50 mile commute?
That charging outlet is directly hooked up to a coal fired generator.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
Up here in the Winter Frozen Tundra and Simmering Swamping Summers:
All electric vehicles range most likely could be equaled by a luxury golf cart.
How do all electrics warm the cabin when it's 10 below zero and cool the cabin when 100 degrees above during a 50 mile commute?
That charging outlet is directly hooked up to a coal fired generator.
new EVs have a water coolant system. Keeps the battery between 40-80f. And it only knocks the range down (including keeping the cabin between 60-75f) roughly 20% so a Maverick with an EPA range of 300 miles would still get close to 250. More than enough for most Americans for the week

Sponsored

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
I'd rather have a PHEV drivetrain like the rav4 prime, where the hybrid is more powerful *and* more efficient than the gas only version.

A 300hp maverick that could do 40 miles electric only (what is that, maybe a 15kwh pack?) and the pro power thing from the F150....ooooie thats a nice one.

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I can't set up a charging station in my rental home's garage, so this would be useless for me. A plug-in hybrid would be kinda neat though, so plugging it in wouldn't be necessary, but I could take advantage of the free charging stations around town occasionally too.

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Yeah, I can't set up a charging station in my rental home's garage, so this would be useless for me. A plug-in hybrid would be kinda neat though, so plugging it in wouldn't be necessary, but I could take advantage of the free charging stations around town occasionally too.
Even with a 20 amp 110 circuit you can fill up most PHEV's overnight, no need for any install, just a cord to the outlet that already exists.

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Even with a 20 amp 110 circuit you can fill up most PHEV's overnight, no need for any install, just a cord to the outlet that already exists.
That’s my plan if we do the F-150 Lightning. Plus, you’re technically supposed to charge until 80% and don’t let it fall under 20%, so it would take less time. Just plug it up when you get home and unplug when you go to work.

spacemancraig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
That’s my plan if we do the F-150 Lightning. Plus, you’re technically supposed to charge until 80% and don’t let it fall under 20%, so it would take less time. Just plug it up when you get home and unplug when you go to work.
"technically" but you know the people who design the charging circuits know that too, I think its safe to say that the battery will (should) last at least the warranty period with 100-0-100 charge cycles. I doubt they take the cells higher than 4.2 on a full charge or far enough on the low end to risk damage.

i've never done the math on this but i'm about to...so a 110/20amp circuit is 2400watts, say you get 2000 of that into the battery, that means 24kwh/day if you charge 12h/day which is 1/6th...lets call it 1/7th the estimated battery pack in the lightning, so if you dont drive more than 300 miles/week you can get away with a single 110/20amp circuit as your charger...thats...super reasonable actually. I cant remember the last week I drove more than 300 miles.
Sponsored