3 cyl Ecoboost current specs?

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
I have seen posts and videos elsewhere that show the 1.5 with a timing chain. I have also seen conflicting information that the engine still uses a belt bathed in oil. Does anyone know which configuration Ford is using currently? A belt is a no go for me, I’ve been through all the expensive belt replacements on my 232k mile Subaru and I won’t do it again. I’m hoping that the superior timing chain is what Ford is using in all current models like Bronco Sport and Escape.

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-...family/ford-1-5-liter-ecoboost-dragon-engine/

Theres some specs of it. Its utilized in the new Fiesta and the Bronco/Escapes.

It does having a timing belt, which is usually a perfectly fine way to time an engine. I don't understand the whole superiority of chain fanatics. A belt is still sturdy and effective while being a cheaper option. The only concern is the use life is shorter and they require changes at time/mile intervals. The big issue with the 1.5 is that it is the internal wet belt design. I have no idea what replacing that belt would consist of work wise.

Reliability wise the chain is a better option at the start but if anything goes wrong its a lot more work and money to get that stuff replaced versus a simple belt and a bit of time. The holy grail of simplicity and reliability for me in the past was having a belt AND a non interference engine. I wish engines were still that simple. I snapped a belt once in my life and had it fixed and running on the roadside in about 2 hours.

The big issue with the engine choice in these is if they go the route of the Bronco Sport and only offer the 2.0 in the highest trim model. That absolutely killed my interested in that thing. After they did such a good job letting you option basically whatever you wanted drivetrain wise on the new Bronco to be railroaded into certain trims on the Bronco Sport was unfortunate. On the Maverick I hope its more open. Id be doing a base front wheel drive 2.0 all day long.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I have seen posts and videos elsewhere that show the 1.5 with a timing chain. I have also seen conflicting information that the engine still uses a belt bathed in oil. Does anyone know which configuration Ford is using currently? A belt is a no go for me, I’ve been through all the expensive belt replacements on my 232k mile Subaru and I won’t do it again. I’m hoping that the superior timing chain is what Ford is using in all current models like Bronco Sport and Escape.
I am with you a 110%: why Ford would mount a rubber belt internally boggles the mind; changing the belt must be a labor intensive nightmare. If anything, the arrangement makes me think that the 1.5 is a disposable engine.

Now...if they do bolt a manual transmission to the Maverick, I will overlook the internally mounted belt.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
This isn't good; according to one poster:

"Hope the engine belt in oil will be reliable this time - Hope Ford learned enough from the 1.8L Lynx TDCi engines which had belts snapped even before 50K miles. There are a lot of Ford Transits in Uk which suffered from premature timing belt snap for similar "Belt in Oil". Ford seems to have put belt in oil in engines from 2007 onwards. The thing with Transit is you have to take out the engine from engine bay to replace the belt! The suggested belt life is 125K miles in UK conditions - Worried how it will hold in the stop-go and high temperature Indian situation.

I think the Ecoboost engine is also having the belt in oil technology."

#19 down the thread:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tech...w-1-5l-3-cylinder-dragon-petrol-engine-2.html

I am going to look into this further.

Reactions: Doc

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Found the Bronco Sport owner’s manual online.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False
There is nothing in scheduled maintenance for timing belt replacement. Since it’s an interference engine, wouldn’t they have scheduled replacement if it was a belt?
Yours is not the first mention of this oddity.

Another poster had this to say:

"Changing the wetbelts on a 1.0 ECOboost is a major job. It will take an experienced mechanic approximately 12 to 16 Hours to perform this job the 1st time."

2nd post down:

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/118176-10-ecoboost-timing-belt-replacement/

As a rule, I do not like basing judgements on here say, but there's seemingly little concrete information available on what *I* consider to be an undesirable design.

Why didn't Ford use a damned chain on an interference engine? Better NVH? I'd MUCH prefer longevity/ longterm reliability over a slight NVH advantage.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Last post on Bronco Sport maintenance was severe service. This link is normal maintenance and no mention of timing belt replacement there either
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...&userMarket=USA&div=f&vFilteringEnabled=False
This is concerning, to be honest.

Is the whole prospect of changing the timing belt so laborious, so expensive, that they assume that most will not endeavor to replace the belt - so they're simply quiet about it?

Is this a disposable engine?

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Here is a link to a video on the 3 cylinder engine. It specifically shows a timing chain and states it in the text. But is this the version in the Maverick?

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
As a rule, I do not like basing judgements on here say, but there's seemingly little concrete information available on what *I* consider to be an undesirable design.

Why didn't Ford use a damned chain on an interference engine? Better NVH? I'd MUCH prefer longevity/ longterm reliability over a slight NVH advantage.
I read on a Fiesta ST forum that when put into the 3 pot engine the timing belt offers a much smoother and less noticeably noisy running engine (even more so when you put this thing soaked in oil). So while it does effect NVH that's not the only benefit. It also makes it a smoother driving engine when in that particular performance application. I have no issues with a timing belt honestly. On newer engines my anger is directed towards my seething hatred of direct inject systems and their inherent downfall of carbon buildup(unless you're smart like Toyota and make it a dual injection system).

The only concern I have with the 1.5 is it isn't proven yet. Only two model years. Not enough time to judge it longterm. The 2.0 ecoboost has been used since 2015 I believe in its current configuration so thats generally been proven as a good mill thus far.

This is all why I was incredibly sad when they butchered the optionability of the Bronco Sport so bad when compared to the Bronco. A base Bronco Sport optioned with the 2.0 would have been perfect but nooooo, they relegate that to only the Badlands trim. Then next door on the Bronco line its like "build it however you want, we dont care". You want the V6 across all trims? Done. Want it sasquatched across all trims? Yea whatever, we'll do it.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
The Bronco is a premium Halo vehicle whereas the Maverick is a budget truck. It makes sense to allow configurability where customers will pay for the privilege. On a vehicle such as the Maverick, a homogeneous product is the only way to make it profitable. Therefore we will see limited trim lines, each shooting for the magical 80th percentile.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Here is a link to a video on the 3 cylinder engine. It specifically shows a timing chain and states it in the text. But is this the version in the Maverick?
It's not a timing chain unfortunately; it's an internally mounted belt, yet because the belt's mounted internally, it gives the engine the appearance of an internally mounted chain.

NDL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I read on a Fiesta ST forum that when put into the 3 pot engine the timing belt offers a much smoother and less noticeably noisy running engine (even more so when you put this thing soaked in oil). So while it does effect NVH that's not the only benefit. It also makes it a smoother driving engine when in that particular performance application. I have no issues with a timing belt honestly. On newer engines my anger is directed towards my seething hatred of direct inject systems and their inherent downfall of carbon buildup(unless you're smart like Toyota and make it a dual injection system).

The only concern I have with the 1.5 is it isn't proven yet. Only two model years. Not enough time to judge it longterm. The 2.0 ecoboost has been used since 2015 I believe in its current configuration so thats generally been proven as a good mill thus far.

This is all why I was incredibly sad when they butchered the optionability of the Bronco Sport so bad when compared to the Bronco. A base Bronco Sport optioned with the 2.0 would have been perfect but nooooo, they relegate that to only the Badlands trim. Then next door on the Bronco line its like "build it however you want, we dont care". You want the V6 across all trims? Done. Want it sasquatched across all trims? Yea whatever, we'll do it.
While I admit my bias against timing belts, I will tolerate the arrangement, as will the vast majority of consumers, provided that the belt is mounted outside of the engine.

I currently have 207k on my Ranger, whose four cylinder engine features a timing belt. But when I go to change it in another 15k, it will be a simple and reasonably priced job.

I find interesting Ford's silence on this issue, which makes me think that replacing the belt is as much a cluster as some have purported it to be.

oljackfrost

First Name
Mark
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
It's not a timing chain unfortunately; it's an internally mounted belt, yet because the belt's mounted internally, it gives the engine the appearance of an internally mounted chain.
Look more carefully at the text within the video. It specifically says timing chain so there must be more than one version of the engine out there.

ghost1986

First Name
Rob
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
I think theres just some weird misinformation out there. I see no real frame of reference for any vehicle that uses a chain version. All the 1.5 Dragon Ecoboost 3 cylinder in the Escape/Bronco Sport use a belt.