Sponsored

2nd major issue with the Maverick hybrid, owned less than a week. 12v Dead as a doornail

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New dead batteries happen more often than you would think. In my life I’ve had 3 brand new batteries that died in the first month. On the flip side my 2011 Prius has the original 12V and hybrid battery running strong.
Sponsored

Doug Wildman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
New dead batteries happen more often than you would think. In my life I’ve had 3 brand new batteries that died in the first month. On the flip side my 2011 Prius has the original 12V and hybrid battery running strong.
I’ve replaced the 12V in my 2013 Prius twice(the second time was a free one under warranty from the auto parts store). That is the only mechanical issue in 9 years.

kuma

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-30
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So in addition to the weird remote start issues, I went to head to work this morning and the 12v was dead as a doornail. No I did not leave anything on. Dont know why, I had just drove it last night. It was 32*F this morning, so a bit cold, but nothing really that bad frankly.(If this truck cant handle 32*F then wtf do you northerners do?)I had to jump it, so thanks to the guy who explained that to me in the last post about remote start. I drove it to work, lets see if the battery is dead again when I go to leave.

Im going to take it back to the dealer this week and see what the hell is going on. Between this and the weird remote start stuff I am a bit concerned. Ive only had the truck like a week.
I bought a MAZDA CX 30 about 6 months ago (NEW). I had the same issue with battery low or almost dead. I keep it parked in the garage and leave it unlocked with key inside. I called my daughter in-law who works at MAZDA HQ in Hiroshima JP and ran the issue by her. She advised me to turn off the WiFi and don't leave the key inside. It worked and haven't had the low battery light come on since. Maybe the key and the car were chatting all night, I don't know for sure. The car was also built in MEX and probably didn't have a fully charged battery when I picked it up, who knows. I told her I ordered a MAVERICK and she told me she worked on the design of the truck many years ago when MAZDA and FORD were joined in partnership. I'd run this issue by her but I don't need her pocking her nose somewhere it don't belong.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Only thing that bothers me is they tested it and said it was fine, so what more can I do at this point? I could out of my own pocket go buy a new battery, but I shouldnt have to do that on a brand new vehicle.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Only thing that bothers me is they tested it and said it was fine, so what more can I do at this point? I could out of my own pocket go buy a new battery, but I shouldnt have to do that on a brand new vehicle.
Get a second opinion. Autozone and other auto parts places have battery testers. Take it there and they can load test it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Oddzball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 XL
Update for all, Ford Corporate offered for me to take my vehicle to another service department and have them work directly with Ford to look at the issue. unfortunately, this is kind of an issue for me as there isnt another Ford service department in over 60 miles for me so thats not really doable for me as this is the only vehicle I have.

taralon

First Name
Jeb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Fusion Hybrid
Engine
Undecided
Most autoparts stores will do a test on a 12 volt battery for free. Additionally with the key off, you could use a dc voltage multitester, and if you see anything under 12.5 that battery needs to be replaced.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

7Litre

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sonata Hybrid, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was wondering can u jump start the ice ? Probably not possible since it's not controlled buy turning the key. Is the 12 volt battery easily accessible to hook up a charger? Can u limp home on electric if it is a short distance?All new to me.
Just read about this in the owner's manual. No truck yet, just getting prepared...
Ford Maverick 2nd major issue with the Maverick hybrid, owned less than a week. 12v Dead as a doornail 1642857784934

Sponsored

Webbee

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No alternator with the hybrid.
I worked the assembly lines for GM and there is a possibility you got a battery that was discharged because the truck was left on during a shutdown or weekend. This happened all the time because in the day we would have the radios running. No this isn't right but it happened! We later on had someone walk the line and shut the ignition off so this didn't happen. I would suggest to have the battery tested properly(not with a volt meter). Good luck!

abjbrtd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Kona, Thor Citation
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I worked the assembly lines for GM and there is a possibility you got a battery that was discharged because the truck was left on during a shutdown or weekend. This happened all the time because in the day we would have the radios running. No this isn't right but it happened! We later on had someone walk the line and shut the ignition off so this didn't happen. I would suggest to have the battery tested properly(not with a volt meter). Good luck!
aha
A long lost friends entry level job at the Arlington plant was to change the dead batteries, he had a awning in the parking lot where the wreckers would drag the ones that wouldn't start.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2012 Focus was built in March 2012, picked up in April 2012 (so it didn't sit long at the dealer), and had its 12V drop too low to start the engine within 6 months. Parked it for the weekend and on Monday, I unlocked it and put the window down, turned the key, and... no juice. These cars are generally programmed to be too smart for their own good - you can't leave the radio, lights, etc. on if the ignition is off, but some sort of bug must've caused it to drain.

Ford's roadside assistance vendor came out and jumped the battery. The dealer wouldn't replace it under warranty because it tested fine. The same battery went on to last about 100k mi and 7 years. The car just ran the voltage too low, but not low enough long enough to cause damage.

Point being, if the battery tests fine after it's jumped, I wouldn't worry about it.

Flomounier1

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I’m wondering if my Hybrid is doing the same thing. I keep getting notifications saying my car is entering “deep sleep mode” because the battery charge level is low. The door chime is now playing through a speaker in the dash instead of through the speakers.

Ford Maverick 2nd major issue with the Maverick hybrid, owned less than a week. 12v Dead as a doornail 9F7505CF-D5C7-4209-AE3B-8ABA6C13564A

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So in addition to the weird remote start issues, I went to head to work this morning and the 12v was dead as a doornail. No I did not leave anything on. Dont know why, I had just drove it last night. It was 32*F this morning, so a bit cold, but nothing really that bad frankly.(If this truck cant handle 32*F then wtf do you northerners do?)I had to jump it, so thanks to the guy who explained that to me in the last post about remote start. I drove it to work, lets see if the battery is dead again when I go to leave.

Im going to take it back to the dealer this week and see what the hell is going on. Between this and the weird remote start stuff I am a bit concerned. Ive only had the truck like a week.
This used to happen to me with my EV frequently. I used to leave my headlight switch on auto and after the 12v accessory battery died a few times I started turning the lights off completely.
Sponsored