2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My insurance will be going up by $120 a year...I drive a 20 year old Accord and don't even have comprehensive. Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised.
Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
2400 a year?? That is eye watering. Might want to shop around. Granted I drive a 9 year old honda fit but im only at 550 a year. I'm expecting my mav to be double that but whatever
Car insurance varies significantly due to a number of factors (where you live, age, driving record...), but yeah, that is insane for a tiny little pickup truck. We're currently paying $510/yr for a '17 VW jetta, two drivers.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a gas Toyota Sequoia that only gets about 16-18mpg HWY. other than that it has been a great vehicle but it is time to change.
Maintenance costs are getting to be a lot. Just one tire for the truck is over $275 and an oil change is $140 (7.3L diesel uses 4 gallons of oil - 16 quarts - for each oil change), there are two heavy duty batteries and the glow plugs are going to need replacing in the not to distant future (probably before it gets really cold - engine block heater is only good if you can plug it in). Filling up one 40 gallon tank with diesel costs almost $150, the windows seals on the cap are starting to leak. The truck is 24 feet long from the front of the brush guard to the end of the trailer hitch - makes parking in a parking lot require two spots front to rear. I love my truck, but for me, it's getting to be time to downsize.

olie64

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Order maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like and understand what you ae saying but how many people really understand what '"opportunity cost" is unless they took economics or marketing an enjoyed the subject?

I teach it... but my would be having to buy another bigger truck to tow a smaller camper.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
The 2022 Maverick Hybrid is also a Truck and it will get great gas mileage especially when compared to the 2022 Maverick Ecoboost.

You have presented a random old vehicle with poor gas mileage I present my 2015 Honda Fit Ex that gets 34 MPG combined, 32 MPG city and 37 MPG highway.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Honda_Fit.shtml

Yes your example from 21 years ago makes the Ecoboost look much better. My example from 6 years ago makes the Ecoboost look worse.
Not really. You can barely fit two adults in a Honda Fit. Those things are like rolling beer cans they’re such pieces of garbage.

What can a Honda Fit tow? How much can you haul in the back? 🤦🏼‍♂️ Your comparison is vacuous at best.

Besides, every time I see one of those tiny clown cars on the road, it’s all I can do to reduce my desire to rear-end the thing! 😆

Sponsored

Tourguide

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OMG after reading 😃 just about all the blog's and the + and - for each engine, my head is about to explode. Just remember one thing, opinions are like a## holes, everyone has their own.

CoryDallas8123

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A4, Chevy Chevelle SS, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
People also forget to calculate the opportunity cost in the cost of ownership. The $4500 cost of AWD @ 6% annual return could be turned into more than $8000 over 10 years of Maverick ownership.
Glad someone finally brought some real financial advice into this. I am constantly bringing up opportunity cost as a major factor. Why yes I’d rather have the extra $50/month and store that in the S&P500 Index, 9% average return or go speculating and the returns are boundless. Hahaha. We’re probably boring everyone!

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Glad someone finally brought some real financial advice into this. I am constantly bringing up opportunity cost as a major factor. Why yes I’d rather have the extra $50/month and store that in the S&P500 Index, 9% average return or go speculating and the returns are boundless. Hahaha. We’re probably boring everyone!
I get what you guys are saying, but at this rate you may as well tell people to buy $2000 Civics from 20 years ago so they can put all their money in the market. We're all making what is an objectively foolish financial decision to buy new anyway.

Delzona

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Breakout, 21 Road King Special, 22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I get what you guys are saying, but at this rate you may as well tell people to buy $2000 Civics from 20 years ago so they can put all their money in the market. We're all making what is an objectively foolish financial decision to buy new anyway.
I've looked at buying a new or used car like this. Can I afford the monthly payment, how's mpg compared to what I'm trying to replace, what the insurance, less/more. Is the replacement vehicle better than what I'm currently driving or better fits my needs now and the for seeable future. After I figure those questions out and I'm good with the results then yes I'm buying the new (or used) vehicle.
Trying to figure out long term gas cost, maintenance cost, depreciation are to me ether math. To me the real cost of a vehicle comes on the day I have to repair it. Then I'll have a real idea if I've made a good "investment". Yes, I know this is a flyby your pants way to buy vehicles and maybe the good Lord does really look out for fools, but it's worked really well for me for the last 42 years of driving and buying vehicles.

Reactions: bgn

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
LMAO! You did all that math instead of just clicking on the link, that's why you're so oblivious to the point made. Oof... 🤣

The link shows the "true cost of ownership calculation" and the reason the number is so high is because it included the cost of depreciation, financing, taxes, insurance, repairs, and maintenance, NOT just the MSRP.

So the point I was trying to make that is completely lost on you if you didn't even click the link is that the difference in fuel cost becomes quite low in comparison to that actual true costs of owning the vehicle. For example, it was well known that a Honda Civic Type R had a virtually identical true cost of ownership to a cheaper Veloster N, despite the fact that the MSRP of the Civic was so much higher. Why? You have to add up all the costs, and depreciation is usually the highest cost you'll pay in owning a vehicle, not fuel usage. The best example of that would be a BMW i3 that uses no fuel, and yet had a really high cost of ownership because it was the highest 5-year depreciation vehicle that BMW sold at 69% depreciation. In the same period of time, a Jeep Wrangler depreciated only 30.9%, meaning that its total cost of ownership despite using so much more fuel than the BMW electric car was much lower.
Capture.JPG
BEV depreciation always tends to look high because at the very least most of them lose $7500 in value because of the federal tax credit on them. Also some manufacturers build in a high MSRP and sell them for cheap. For example, my 2019 Chevy Bolt LT retailed for just under $40k but I bought it for $27,125 and qualified for the $7500 federal rebate on it. The numbers tend to lie on EV depreciation.

At the same time, look at a 2018 Tesla Model 3. Look for used listings today for a Standard Range Plus, Black Paint, Black interior, Autopilot. The original owners on those collected a $7500 federal rebate on them, bought them for $39,990, and even before the pandemic drove the used market crazy, they barely depreciated.

The i3 is a bad example because it had polarizing looks, bad poor weather performance on those pizza cutter tires, was a compromised design because it was built to have a plug in hybrid and EV version and lost out on features like a frunk, had weird electrical glitches, and BMW regularly fire sold them or did mega lease specials on them to get their carbon credits.

You also brought up the Nissan Leaf. The leaf never had a proper thermal management system for the battery because it was designed to be the cheapest EV and long term ownership was a bad idea because the battery degraded too heavily over use. However, people who leased them for $99 or less a month got a great deal, and those leaf batteries are recycled and reused pretty heavily. It was an early entry into the EV world and long term owners paid the early adopter tax on it. I remember Slickdeals threads on leasing them where you would essentially make money after federal and state tax credits leasing them.

Now that the early EVs are behind us, the depreciation curve should be quite a bit less. The ID.4, Ioniq 5, any Tesla, Mustang Mach E, and Lightning depreciation curves will probably be minimal, and if tax credits get raised to a potential max of $12,500, those EVs are going to offer a lot more value per dollar spent

And they're better to daily drive. Instant power, one pedal driving. In 29k miles on the Bolt, my only maintenance was a flat tire repair and tire rotations every 7500 miles. It saved me more than that because at the time I was commuting to Miami and the express lanes were $8-11 each way normally, but free in an EV. And the cost to drive 60 miles a day was under a dollar in electricity.

Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What trailer are you considering? I am looking at a Shasta Oasis 21CK. It is about 3950 dry.
Not looking at travel trailers but smaller open trailer.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you gone to www.towcalculator.com . It can tell you exactly if you are within the limits. You also want to have a buffer.
I know the tow limits but have never seen nor driven a Maverick so there is more to this story that I will find out when I actually get and use the truck.

RBElectrical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
I see this window sticker has the FX4 Offroad package which comes with A/T tires. Is it safe to assume that a model with A/S would have better gas mileage? What about the Tow Package with A/S? Higher gear ratio will offset the A/S tires I would think (if you opt to not get the FX4)

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
BEV depreciation always tends to look high because at the very least most of them lose $7500 in value because of the federal tax credit on them. Also some manufacturers build in a high MSRP and sell them for cheap. For example, my 2019 Chevy Bolt LT retailed for just under $40k but I bought it for $27,125 and qualified for the $7500 federal rebate on it. The numbers tend to lie on EV depreciation.

At the same time, look at a 2018 Tesla Model 3. Look for used listings today for a Standard Range Plus, Black Paint, Black interior, Autopilot. The original owners on those collected a $7500 federal rebate on them, bought them for $39,990, and even before the pandemic drove the used market crazy, they barely depreciated.

The i3 is a bad example because it had polarizing looks, bad poor weather performance on those pizza cutter tires, was a compromised design because it was built to have a plug in hybrid and EV version and lost out on features like a frunk, had weird electrical glitches, and BMW regularly fire sold them or did mega lease specials on them to get their carbon credits.

You also brought up the Nissan Leaf. The leaf never had a proper thermal management system for the battery because it was designed to be the cheapest EV and long term ownership was a bad idea because the battery degraded too heavily over use. However, people who leased them for $99 or less a month got a great deal, and those leaf batteries are recycled and reused pretty heavily. It was an early entry into the EV world and long term owners paid the early adopter tax on it. I remember Slickdeals threads on leasing them where you would essentially make money after federal and state tax credits leasing them.

Now that the early EVs are behind us, the depreciation curve should be quite a bit less. The ID.4, Ioniq 5, any Tesla, Mustang Mach E, and Lightning depreciation curves will probably be minimal, and if tax credits get raised to a potential max of $12,500, those EVs are going to offer a lot more value per dollar spent

And they're better to daily drive. Instant power, one pedal driving. In 29k miles on the Bolt, my only maintenance was a flat tire repair and tire rotations every 7500 miles. It saved me more than that because at the time I was commuting to Miami and the express lanes were $8-11 each way normally, but free in an EV. And the cost to drive 60 miles a day was under a dollar in electricity.
An ID4 at $40k with a $12.5k tax credit may have ME even looking to pick one up!

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
An ID4 at $40k with a $12.5k tax credit may have ME even looking to pick one up!
In the bill's current iteration, the ID4 would not qualify for the full $12.5k tax credit, only vehicles from domestic manufacturers that are manufactured in the U.S. with an MSRP <$40k. Also, individuals with >$100 AGI will not qualify for the credit; in other words, pretty nobody is actually getting the full credit.

If it was as simple as buy any EV and get the $12.5 credit, I and everybody else would be lining up. It isn't and I hope the bill does not pass (although I have no intentions of ever buying another ICE vehicle). We are for sure looking at an EV econobox (ie. leaf or bolt) to replace our jetta in a few years, with the Maverick used as our family adventure vehicle.
Sponsored