First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your example is using a much more expensive model that costs $50,892. The Maverick at $21,490 gets much bigger percent reductions because of the $29,402 lower base cost.
LMAO! You did all that math instead of just clicking on the link, that's why you're so oblivious to the point made. Oof... 🤣

The link shows the "true cost of ownership calculation" and the reason the number is so high is because it included the cost of depreciation, financing, taxes, insurance, repairs, and maintenance, NOT just the MSRP.

So the point I was trying to make that is completely lost on you if you didn't even click the link is that the difference in fuel cost becomes quite low in comparison to that actual true costs of owning the vehicle. For example, it was well known that a Honda Civic Type R had a virtually identical true cost of ownership to a cheaper Veloster N, despite the fact that the MSRP of the Civic was so much higher. Why? You have to add up all the costs, and depreciation is usually the highest cost you'll pay in owning a vehicle, not fuel usage. The best example of that would be a BMW i3 that uses no fuel, and yet had a really high cost of ownership because it was the highest 5-year depreciation vehicle that BMW sold at 69% depreciation. In the same period of time, a Jeep Wrangler depreciated only 30.9%, meaning that its total cost of ownership despite using so much more fuel than the BMW electric car was much lower.
Ford Maverick 25 MPG for Maverick EcoBoost 2.0L AWD, 1 MPG Less Than FWD Capture.JPG
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Get an EV if all your driving is in the city and you care about cost per mile. Far cheaper per mile than even the hybrid, even before you factor in less maintenance.
Remember that true cost per mile is not just about cost of a gallon of fuel at the pump vs the equiv eMPG charge rate at home. The Nissan Leaf for example experienced one of the highest 5-year depreciation costs of all vehicles on the market, mostly due to the rapid changing pace of EV development and an out of warranty battery replacement can total many EVs, with depreciation costs almost always drastically overshoot fuel usage costs.

For example, I was considering picking up a BMW i3 recently just before car prices shot up, and you could find really low mileage ones selling for about $15K on average when they were $50K new. Like most EVs, even though lithium prices are falling really fast, they use proprietary battery designs so you can't just buy a random new battery you have to buy one specifically made for the i3 and find someone certified to install it since its a very dangerous high voltage system and the old battery has to be recycled properly. BMW charges $16K for parts and labor for the battery swap, more than the price of the entire vehicle meaning its usually cheaper to sell it for parts and buy a replacement low mile one.

https://enrg.io/how-much-does-a-bmw-i3-battery-replacement-cost/

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it dumb to expect a nice smooth drive experience from the hybrid as a benefit? I mostly drive like a grandpa, I try to keep things smooth, so I’ve been looking forward to eCVT style.

Gotta be honest the math linked here about total ownership cost of mpg difference over the life of the vehicle is compelling. However, since I’m not towing and I’m 80% slow city miles, I guess I’m still in the best use case zone for hybrid.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
Currently getting 13.5mpg.....22mpg would be fantastic and 40mpg would be like the heavens opened up and shown the light on me...
Savings for me
Based on a 2 week period and 140 miles
Current Truck use 10.3 gals @ 3.89gal $40.35
XL AWD 6.36gal (all city 22mpg) @ $3.89 $24.75
Lariat Hybrid 3.5gals(all city 40mpg) @ $3.89= $13.61

I would be happy with the XL but Super grinning with the Lariat...

dceggert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion, 2019 Ranger, 2024 Maverick ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My FWD Fusion 2.0L had a combined 26 rating when I bought it. That is for a 2WD sedan. This rating is for a truck which has aero qualities not as good, has extra weight and driveline drag of AWD, and also spins the engine at a higher RPM due to the higher gear ratio of the 4K tow package. That is pretty good FE for a pickup truck with those features.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ColoradoShooter

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma/Fusion
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It’s a good thing you aren’t buying a 2.0EB then, right? BTW, Tesla says your 40mpg sucks and you shouldn’t buy it either.

Whitenight

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Another cost that you aren't factoring in is the cost to replace the batteries when they start to or actually fail - which can go easily into five figures. It's all a matter of when - not if.

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
"Ford Maverick Hybrid 'Truck-Shaped Object' has Dismal Tow Rating and No AWD or Off-Road Capability"

There....I fixed the title of this thread.... 🙄

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Nissan Leaf for example experienced one of the highest 5-year depreciation costs of all vehicles on the market, mostly due to the rapid changing pace of EV development and an out of warranty battery replacement can total many EVs, with depreciation costs almost always drastically overshoot fuel usage costs.
EVs also take a big depreciation hit on the first year because of the tax credit if the manufacturer is still eligible for them. It doesn't make sense to buy a used one for, say, $25k when a new one is $30k and you can end up lower with the potential credits.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Another cost that you aren't factoring in is the cost to replace the batteries when they start to or actually fail - which can go easily into five figures. It's all a matter of when - not if.
The Maverick battery is warrantied for 8 years/100K miles, and it will cost nothing close to "5 figures." Newer hybrid batteries are much smaller capacity and much cheaper. I'd say if you have to replace the battery on your own dime after 8 years it will be $3-4K through ford with likely some aftermarket options for much less. By then, you'll have saved at least double that in gas.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Likewise the other side of that coin is less standard maintenance year over year on the hybrid (based on what others have said, no experience myself).

5 figures? wat?

Anyway, I hope we can all appreciate the benefits of either choice, both have their merits.

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
EVs also take a big depreciation hit on the first year because of the tax credit if the manufacturer is still eligible for them. It doesn't make sense to buy a used one for, say, $25k when a new one is $30k and you can end up lower with the potential credits.
You don’t get a tax credit for the hybrid, just all electric, and then maybe.

TerryE

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My bad, just saw you were discussing EV’s

ralatalo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Actually, you all comparing the total cost of ownership left out the initial price difference which pretty much doubles your calculated difference between hybrid and AWD 2.0.

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
And also plugin gets full credits, given the maker hasn't run out of their federal allotments.
Sponsored