pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If most of your driving is city miles then yes it is bad. 22 MPG bad.

We already have seen that the Hyundai Santa Cruz sucks in fuel economy (23 overall, 26 highway, 21 city) the Maverick EcoBoost only having one more MPG (22 vs 21) in city driving is nothing to write home about.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/43982.shtml

I have seen people switch from Hybrid to EcoBoost to get their Maverick built faster. Just remember what you are giving up in doing so. Paying $1085 more for the EcoBoost Engine and getting 45% worse city MPG resulting in higher fuel costs.
Never gave up anything over here. I used to hypermile in a toyota yaris, 5spd manual, 45mpg average per tank. That wasn't that fun. The Hybrid will be great, and I'm sure it will be an awesome city truck. If there were an AWD version, I would have ordered and waited for it. When I have to go to the office however, I walk 8 minutes to the bus stop for an hour long bus ride, so I don't drive that much to begin with. I am perfectly happy with 25mpg average and a truck that will be a blast to drive.

I don't think you really need to come in and tell people to remember what they are giving up...we are all big kids and can make our own decisions!
Sponsored

Ajm

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
My 2003 Celica GT is a 1.8 liter, 2500 lbs, 140 hp 5 speed and gets about 32 mpg highway. Maverick Ecoboost 2.0 liter is 1000 lbs heavier, produces over 100 more hp, and is said to get around 30 mpg highway.

Pretty efficient, in my opinion.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a great tool to put fuel costs into perspective of total costs using a Ford Escape:
https://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2020/cost-to-own/

If you were reduce the fuel cost to 67% of the total listed there to account for the hybrid's improved combined fuel economy, your total 5yr cost for a Escape SEL 2.0T Ecoboost AWD would drop from $50,892 to $47,889, or about $3K difference for a hybrid.

So while there's a large percentage difference in fuel cost, your total cost is only reduced by about 6%.

Something to keep in mind.

OP
OP
huunvubu

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a great tool to put fuel costs into perspective of total costs using a Ford Escape:
https://www.edmunds.com/ford/escape/2020/cost-to-own/

If you were reduce the fuel cost to 67% of the total listed there to account for the hybrid's improved combined fuel economy, your total 5yr cost for a Escape SEL 2.0T Ecoboost AWD would drop from $50,892 to $47,889, or about $3K difference for a hybrid.

So while there's a large percentage difference in fuel cost, your total cost is only reduced by about 6%.

Something to keep in mind.
With the Maverick you save an instant $1085 (+ sales tax) by getting the Hybrid vs the EcoBoost along with the fuel cost savings.

I drive about 5000 city miles yearly.

This "Fuel cost comparison calculator" shows I will save $281.25 annually in gas cost ($2.75 per gallon) or $1,968.75 in seven years.

http://calcnexus.com/fuel-cost-calc...rice1=2.75&price2=2.75&mpg1=22&mpg2=40&calc=1

So in those 7 years I will save $1152.81 + $1968.75 or $3121.56

The 2022 Maverick XL Hybrid has a MSRP of $21,490 so that $3121.56 is 14.5% higher.

Your example is using a much more expensive model that costs $50,892. The Maverick at $21,490 gets much bigger percent reductions because of the $29,402 lower base cost.

Also above the cost savings my example will save 102.3 gallons of gas yearly or 715.91 gallons over the seven years.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
huunvubu

huunvubu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a truck. Trucks aren't known for good gas mileage.

My 90 Silverado gets 13 MPG. It also produces about 70 HP less.
The 2022 Maverick Hybrid is also a Truck and it will get great gas mileage especially when compared to the 2022 Maverick Ecoboost.

You have presented a random old vehicle with poor gas mileage I present my 2015 Honda Fit Ex that gets 34 MPG combined, 32 MPG city and 37 MPG highway.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Honda_Fit.shtml

Yes your example from 21 years ago makes the Ecoboost look much better. My example from 6 years ago makes the Ecoboost look worse.

Last edited:

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 2022 Maverick Hybrid is also a Truck and it will get great gas mileage especially when compared to the 2022 Maverick Ecoboost.

You have presented a random old vehicle with poor gas mileage I present my 2015 Honda Fit Ex that gets 34 MPG combined, 32 MPG city and 37 MPG highway.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Honda_Fit.shtml

Yes your example from 21 years ago makes the Ecoboost look much better. My example from 6 years ago makes the Ecoboost look worse.
You're really comparing the maverick to a Honda fit? Come on. And I mean wow that fit gets terrible gas mileage. I got 45mpg in my Toyota Yaris 10 years ago. See what I did there? My comparison sounds kinda dumb...

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
I present my 2015 Honda Fit Ex that gets 34 MPG combined, 32 MPG city and 37 MPG highway.

I present my 2019 Honda Fit of which I average close to 50 on the hwy. and 35 + in the city. (full disclosure here I burn only premium to get range) The CVT isn't that great but it enables that kind of mileage. It's only rated for 40 and 33. The EPA always low balls it to play it safe from the years the manufactures were lying through their teeth. That's how and why the EPA got involved.

But given the opportunity in the future I'll be jumping on that Maverick like a dog on a bone. If the dealerships don't ruin it with price gouging it will perhaps go down as the greatest thing since slice bread.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What you're comparing it to makes all the difference.

Compared....
....to a full size or mid size truck, "it's great!"
.... To a small SUV "meh."
... To a Honda civic (something Ford did) "Yikes!"
...To the hybrid "that's terrible"

🤷‍♂️

To each their own. For my use case, the hybrid is worth waiting for. In going to save $1000 up front.

I'm hoping to save thousands over the life of the car in gas, but also in maintenance costs. I am not saying you should switch your Ecoboost order or that if you need towing you're not smart for ordering an Ecoboost, I'm just saying for my use case, hybrid FTW.

Deleted member 3640

Many of us are choosing the Ecoboost 2.0 for reasons other than mpg:

1) Towing - I plan to tow a trailer that is close to 2,000 lbs. (the Hybrid Maverick cannot safely or sensibly do that)

2) AWD - I live in CO and desire the benefit of an AWD vehicle in the winter (the Hybrid Maverick of at least this first model year cannot do that)

In a perfect world it would be nice to ALSO have the approaching 40 mpg highway that the Hybrid gets, but for me the other 2 considerations are MUCH more important. Of course, others' requirements are different, making the decision of which model truck to get come out differently than what I have decided to get.

In my case I will be getting rid of a Crosstrek that has been a wonderful vehicle for me and that gets ~34 mpg highway mileage, but I now need something that can tow, so the ECO 2.0 liter AWD Maverick is a solution. Personally, getting 4,000 towing AND almost 30 mpg is a real win - I have seen nothing else out there at any price point that can tow that much and match that mpg.

ML

Sponsored

teebandit2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick fx4 xlt 4k tow 360 copilot
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never gave up anything over here. I used to hypermile in a toyota yaris, 5spd manual, 45mpg average per tank. That wasn't that fun. The Hybrid will be great, and I'm sure it will be an awesome city truck. If there were an AWD version, I would have ordered and waited for it. When I have to go to the office however, I walk 8 minutes to the bus stop for an hour long bus ride, so I don't drive that much to begin with. I am perfectly happy with 25mpg average and a truck that will be a blast to drive.

I don't think you really need to come in and tell people to remember what they are giving up...we are all big kids and can make our own decisions!
[/QUOTE

still about twice what my 2005 f150 5.4l gets!

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Glad that I am holding out for my Hybrid Maverick and the 40 MPG city rating (hopefully)

90% of my miles driven are city, stop and go, short trips.
Glad you're holding out for what you want,. good for you. I'm glad I ordered the 2.0. I've said it a millions times. No free lunch either way you go. You will give up something. Whether it's MPG or performance... pick your poison.

Last edited:

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Get an EV if all your driving is in the city and you care about cost per mile. Far cheaper per mile than even the hybrid, even before you factor in less maintenance.

After owning 3 EVs, my desire for a slow hybrid is gone. My night 1 reservation for a Lightning is through Chapman and I hope to get it next year.

ledger9427

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corolla, 2022 Maverick XLT EB
I will GLADLY pay your estimated ~$3100 over the next SEVEN FREAKING YEARS to have a more pleasurable and exciting driving experience.

You could save a bunch of money getting an XL instead of an XLT, why don't you do that as well if that's all you're worried about is saving money. LOL
Sponsored