Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did a lot of research before settling on which tires to purchase. I sure had a lot of time to contemplate! Was split between BFG KO2's, Toyo OC A/T III's, Nitto Terra Grappler G2's, Falken Wildpeak A/T3W's for the longest time. And then a few weeks ago I found MAXXIS RAZR AT's. I love the look. It's a relatively new tire, not been on the market long. Found lots of reviews. All very positive. Quite popular on the Ute scene in Australia and New Zealand. And it's 3-Peak Snow Rated.

I wrestled back and forth with a decision. Probably due to my strong desire to be unique, I settled on the RAZR. And I resolved to get them in the 235's, and ordered them last week. Although I struggled to choose between 235's and 245's, too. Before and after selection. The 235 pricing was $70 less for all four. However, fate had another plan. I had to wait a week for my tires to come in, but my dealer called me early and said they had 245's come in for another customer and they ended up going with another tire. They said if I came down right away they would waive the $70 price difference, because they can cancel my previous order from the warehouse.

So, because I wanted my tires now, and I love the idea of a bargain, I ran down and scooped up the 245's. I was on the road in an hour. Left the store and went for a 150 mile drive and put them through the paces. It was dry over approximately 20 miles, wet road with on and off drizzle for 50 miles, moderate rain for 50 miles, 30 miles of torrential rain, and approximately 3-5 miles of slushy snow.

They performed flawlessly. Granted this is a pretty short duration evaluation. But straight out of the shoot, I would say these were the best performing AT's I have ever driven. UPDATE: Still true after 1,000 miles. UPDATE: Still true after 3,000 miles. UPDATE: Still true after 3,000 miles. UPDATE: Still true after 12,000 miles.

Dry Pavement

Dry pavement traction, cornering, stopping, accelerating is good. It's very grippy. Slightly better than the FX4 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's that were on there from the factory. There is an audible A/T hum over the Pirellis. But I find it very satisfying and trucky. Braking felt better than the Scorpions too. They feel like heavier tires. It seems there is a slight acceleration reduction; and though it's hard to say for certain this early, I think I am losing about 1-2 MPG on the highway.

I was concerned the larger 245 tires was going to screw up my speedo. One of the reasons I was considering the 235's. If Waze is accurate, my speedometer was reading accurate to 50-55 MPH, when it got to be off about 1 MPH (reading slower than it actually was). At 80 MPH it was still only off about 1 MPH. Definitely can live with that. I AM SO GLAD I WENT WITH THE 245's. Highly recommend.

Wet/Slickened Roads
Oh my gosh! The difference from the Pirellis is night and day. These things shed water amazingly well, and plies right through puddles with less pull at highway speed. Also, making right turns at stop lights at pretty high speeds/accelerating where the back end would normally want to break loose, these things were planted. Never once did it break loose or even felt like it wanted to give up grip.

The RAZR AT's are better than the Falken ZIEX ZE950's my wife has on her minivan. Which was the best wet road tires I had ever driven before these. I know the excellent AWD system is contributing, but I did put the Scorpions through the rigmarole too the past week. I cannot emphasize how much more traction in wet conditions I had over the Pirelli. This is the typical road condition we have in Western Washington, so this is an important metric.

Torrential Rain
Superb. It just cuts though the water and grips the road underneath. It pulls less in high speed driving through puddling/ponding than the Pirellis. I thought it might be worse for the RAZR's because it's a wider tire. I thought it would have more of a tendency to want to sit on top of the water instead of cutting through it. But between the super aggressive tread design (and factory siping) and tire compound make up, it feels like it wants to evacuate the water quickly and make contact with the road. Also, I gotta say I just love the AWD system. It's uber responsive and just wants to keep contact. It's so sure footed.

I had one instance at 80 MPH on the freeway when I hit standing water that covered the whole inside lane where I did sit on top of the water for a quick moment, but I let off the throttle and it sunk right in and gripped. The big thing is that the tire design did not contribute to pulling the wheel out of my hand and it certainly did way better than the Scorpions which reacted worse with similar puddles at 55 MPH.

Snow Covered Roads
I did not have much driving in the snow. I had to drive a good distance to get to snow level. As it's been unseasonably warm this week. It was getting late when I got there and it was very water logged and slushy. Which is more characteristic of the snow we get here in Western Washington. About 3-4" on the paved Forest Road. I drove up a 10-15% grade from a stop and it just crawled right up. No slipping. Found a place to attempt a few doughnuts. Couldn't get it to slip or break. Got up to 45 MPH, felt great. Some ruts pulls on the wheel when moving at good speed. That's to be expected. But felt really connected.

Emergency stops were very controlled. It just throws the snow out of the treads and wants to connect. We have a much colder snow storm expected for Christmas, with temp dropping to the upper teens at sea level. I should be able to get more snow testing done. (Update with detailed snow evaluation below the photos below)

Muddy Dirt Roads
I live in a rural area down a dirt road and dirt trail, deep in a rain forest about 10' above sea level. Although I have not done much forest road and trail driving yet. I did play in the mud a little this morning. And the RAZR AT's are fun in the mud and dirt. Grip is super good. I crawled up the beach embankment near my home which is a mix of sand, natural gravel, mud, roots and rocks. Something I cannot drive up in my wife's van. They gripped on to everything solid, throwing everything that was loose clear. Climbed right up like nothing.

Special Note
The Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Centering Auto Steering were completely unaffected. With the nose pointed up a little more, I was concerned it might throw off the calibrations of the advanced systems. If anything, it actually seems a little better. Maybe seeing a little further up the road? Whew!

Summary
This tire seems to be designed for Western Washington living. Rain covered freeways, torrential rain and ponding, slushy snow, forest trails and sandy beaches. Can't wait to live life in my Maverick the next few years enjoying the Pacific Northwest. And putting the MAXXIS RAZR AT's through all the paces of life here in The Evergreen State! And the upgrade from the stock FX4 Pirelli Scorpion ATR's is more than significant. It's life changing. Did I mention I love the AWD system???

2456517RR.jpg

2456517FR.jpg

2456517FL.jpg

2456517RL.jpg

2456517FLzoom.jpg

UPDATE: December 29, 2021 - More Snow Testing

It's been unseasonably cold here in Western Washington. We have been in the teens and low 20's and had snow 4 out of the past 5 days. Approximately 8-12" of snow to go play in (20-30cm).

The MAXXIS RAZR AT's are definitely an amazing all terrain tire in the snow. The aggressive tread design grips amazingly well on dry powder. The wide grooves just eject the snow out of the tread very well. Dry and wet snow just fling right out. Snow with mid levels of moisture will pack the treads a little bit at really slow speeds. But the tread pads still sit good and proud to keep gripping. And with a little throttle they fly out too.

I could play in 6-8" of fresh snow really well. Even hitting the bottom of the undercarriage. The RAZR's just blast out the snow and want to find something to connect to. The rubber is very grippy when it connects to packed snow, asphalt or ice (read ice limitations below).

It was a little less confident in deeper snow, like 9-12". Struggled more. But that is more of a clearance issue. The tires can only do so much when getting lifted off the ground by the truck. I was amazed that on one snow covered road with 11-12" of undisturbed snow, I could keep moving forward. The snow hitting the skid plates underneath pretty hard at times, and I certainly wasn't getting to the road underneath.

Even in the deep stuff, with the RAZR's and Slippery mode, it kept working its way through. A few times I lost momentum and started to get concerned I'd get stuck, but it made it. I don't think I could have made it through that 1/2 mile section with the base Continentals or FX4 Pirellis. I believe it was the RAZR tires and the extra little clearance with the 245's that made it possible. A inch lift in the front would really help. But the clearance on the Maverick may be an issue for some of you who need to travel through deep powder consistently in Winter.

Naranjita found her thrills on Blackberry Hill

The most impressive thing was climbing Blackberry Hill. It's a 25-30% grade in its steepest section. It was covered in packed snow/ice (picture below) with cars parked at the bottom. The MAXXIS RAZR AT's and the Slippery Mode made pretty easy work of the climb. It was a little nerve wracking, but not difficult. I took pictures of my Mav and the treads at the top.

The hard part was actually going down the hill. I put it in Low, Hill Descent and Slippery Mode. I am glad you can use together. I did slide a little in the iciest sections, but fortunately it was straight down sliding, and never really went sideways or toward the edge. When I got to the final section with the stop sign, I slid out a little in the road.

Black ice is the great equalizer for all All Terrain Tires

Last night I hit a patch of black ice on my way home from work. The RAZR's did lose traction a bit. I was being a little aggressive, and a probably a little too confident. The RAZR's have been so amazing, that I was pushing them further and further. Well, just like all tires that are not studded, they are not perfect on super slick/smooth ice. I was able to recover by letting off the throttle and steering into the skid. Regained traction and I could finish slowing down for a corner. Two others beefed it and were in the ditch just around the bend.

I stopped and checked on the two cars. One had called her husband and he was on his way with his lifted F250 to pull her out. The other was a Jeep Compass, and the guy had already called a tow truck. He said that they told him it would be several hours. He mentioned he had a come along in his hatch, so I offered to try to pull him out.

I pulled up as close as I could, hooked to both our tow hooks, ratcheted it up tight. Put it in reverse and tried to pull. It really didn't budge it. It was up to its axles in snow, sideways down a bank and my tires were on solid ice. No way it was going. The Maverick just did not have enough weight for this scenario. Wheels just wanted to spin, couldn't grip and pull. I didn't try too hard, as I didn't want to damage my transmission or my new tires. So the RAZR's can't do everything.

Snow Update Summary

So it was a very successful 5 day run in snow conditions. Some playing in the snow, some doing errands, some commuting. MAXXIS RAZR AT's performed very well. A very solid snow performer. In fact, the best all terrain I've ever driven in the snow.

Just don't get too confident. Because these do extremely well, up to the point they don't. All the way until you get to the point you lose traction, you have amazing grip. I do want to emphasize where I lost grip, it was totally avoidable. Had I been driving the way I normally would in that location on an icy evening, I am certain I wouldn't have had an issue. I was literally pushing the tires to the wintery limits for days.

There is only so much an all terrain tire can do on ice. If you do a lot of solid ice driving, get a studded winter tire. But for all other winter conditions, these are fantastic tires!

Looking up ominous Blackberry Hill. Because of the approach angle on the road I am on, it doesn't look as steep as it actually is in person. You can't really tell in the photo, but it was straight up packed snow and ice.
SunriseRidgeUp.jpg

The cars at the bottom of Blackberry Hill. This was after morning commute. There were a lot more vehicles parked down here earlier. Even the 4WD vehicles didn't attempt it. How do people live up there in winter?
SunriseRidgeDown.jpg

Example of treads after driving through 6" of undisturbed snow. It just loves to connect and the grooves just don't pack like other tires
NaranjitaSnow2.jpg

Naranjita idling in the sun after Blackberry Hill challenge
NaranjitaSnow1.jpg
Now take it out to the Dunes, Reiter pits, Evans creek and report back -
Sponsored

Zac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Yes, definitely. Dirt trails, gravel roads, wet rocks, roots, etc. Does well. Very grippy. It's the best 'all around' tires. I'm now up to 13,000 miles.

It does everything I throw at it well, or extremely well. I'm still amazed for an off-road tire how well it does on highways at speed. I'd say the weakest thing it handles is sand. It's not bad, but it doesn't do anything amazing with fine beach sand. But of all the things I drive on, that's the condition that I do the least. I could air down on the sand too, if needed. These are the all around best tires I have used in Cascadia/PNW.

And they look fantastic, to boot! I get remarks on them several times a week by strangers.
Thanks for this. Funny right after my post my dealer called and said my Mav is arriving and scheduled to take delivery on Tuesday. Super excited and I am leaning on going with these for the fall.

Can you speak at all to how it's affected mileage in city and highway with these tires?

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks for this. Funny right after my post my dealer called and said my Mav is arriving and scheduled to take delivery on Tuesday. Super excited and I am leaning on going with these for the fall.

Can you speak at all to how it's affected mileage in city and highway with these tires?
It seemed like it took about 1-2 MPG hit when first installed during winter. But now after I got over 10,000 miles and warmer temps, my mileage has improved and I have gotten those 1-2 MPG back and then some. I now am getting 30+ MPG on road trips when my average speed is around 60-65 MPH. I didn't notice a drop when I changed in my city driving.

Zac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
It seemed like it took about 1-2 MPG hit when first installed during winter. But now after I got over 10,000 miles and warmer temps, my mileage has improved and I have gotten those 1-2 MPG back and then some. I now am getting 30+ MPG on road trips when my average speed is around 60-65 MPH. I didn't notice a drop when I changed in my city driving.
That's quite amazing.

Zac

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla
Picked up the Maverick today and drove straight to the tire shop.

Went with the Maxxis Razr AR 235/65/17 (245's not available in Canada- thanks again to the @Naranjita for the thorough review).

It downpoor rained and hailed on my way home and these things were glued to the pavement- zero issues and really like them at first glance. Makes the small truck feel more like you're driving a truck and I also really liked that.

Only other thing I've done so far is remove the FX4 stock stickers (and dealer tags/stickers) to be replaced (new FX4 stickers on order):

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick 20220628-132359

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick 20220628-133547

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick 20220628-135014

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick 20220628-140446

Sponsored

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Picked up the Maverick today and drove straight to the tire shop.

Went with the Maxxis Razr AR 235/65/17 (245's not available in Canada- thanks again to the @Naranjita for the thorough review).

It downpoor rained and hailed on my way home and these things were glued to the pavement- zero issues and really like them at first glance. Makes the small truck feel more like you're driving a truck and I also really liked that.

Only other thing I've done so far is remove the FX4 stock stickers (and dealer tags/stickers) to be replaced (new FX4 stickers on order):

20220628-132359.jpg

20220628-133547.jpg

20220628-135014.jpg

20220628-140446.jpg
They look fantastic in 235's too! Looks sharp with your Maverick color too. Be sure to post photos with your new FX4 emblems!

🤩

Takk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, HP Red
Any report on summer driving? There was previous discussion about excessive wear predictions. Would you drive these in a hard-freeze environment?

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Any report on summer driving? There was previous discussion about excessive wear predictions. Would you drive these in a hard-freeze environment?
Summer driving has been great. At 20,000 miles and no excessive wear issues. Hardly any wear at all. I cannot tell you how much I love these tires.

As for hard freeze, I cannot say. Coldest I have had them is about 18-20°F. They did very well. But it was only for a few hours. I live at sea level, and though we can get a lot of snow, we just do not get extreme cold here on the Washington Coast.

Takk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, HP Red
Thanks for getting back to me. These'll definitely be a contender for next year.

TripDub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick Lariat - FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not questioning accuracy or anyone here just sharing my experience that 245/65/17 Toyo open country at3 did not fit on my brand new lariat without rubbing. Currently have tires and having to get a level kit installed so they will fit.

Sponsored

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Been awhile since I've driven on ice, but putting it into Neutral at sketchy stops helps just a little bit because the transmission is not pushing the wheels still.

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not questioning accuracy or anyone here just sharing my experience that 245/65/17 Toyo open country at3 did not fit on my brand new lariat without rubbing. Currently have tires and having to get a level kit installed so they will fit.
The total pressure of the tire, as well as the corner edge shape/profile can make a difference as to rubbing. Also, some tires that are the same size can vary a 1/2" or so in total diameter. This is the first I have seen where someone said they encountered rubbing with 245/65R17 size before. This must be the very maximum to where that threshold must be.

Does the AT3 have a very angular edge/corner shape that kinda sticks out there instead of tapered?

I was going to go with 235 initially, because I was so concerned about rubbing. I am glad I have not any issue with the 245. It's been the perfect tire size for me. I hope lifting helps your situation!

OP
OP
Naranjita

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
**WEAR UPDATE**

I am now just over half life of my tread. Around 30% of the tread used in over 31,000 Miles. And I would say I am pretty hard on my tires.

Still does very well in the snow and the rain. I don't notice any degradation in performance so far. I am just about to rotate tires. I recently made a trip from Washington State to Colorado, driving over the Continental Divide and many mountain passes. The Maverick did great and these tires were wonderful in the snow and ice.

I am at 11/32 tread in front and 12/32 in back. Started at ~15/32.

If it continues to wear at the same rate, I should be at 50%-60% tread used at the 50,000 mile warranty expiration. And I will likely replace them before the following winter after I hit that point.

I love these tires. Best ATs I've ever owned. Not sure if I will go with these again or try the Nitto Ridge Grapplers ATs.

Or maybe I will order a 2024 Ranger. :)

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick PXL_20230120_163841957.MP

Ford Maverick 245/65-17 MAXXIS RAZR AT's on my Cyber Orange Lariat Maverick PXL_20230120_163916666

Last edited:
Reactions: bgn

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Are they the LT version? There are many of us who are running the non-LT version of that tire in that size with absolutely zero rubbing. There's something very wrong here.

TripDub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick Lariat - FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Are they the LT version? There are many of us who are running the non-LT version of that tire in that size with absolutely zero rubbing. There's something very wrong here.
I’m going to have to call them back when they open next week. They didn’t offer me different versions of that size, only with or without the white lettering. It only rubbed when the wheel was fully turned and ever so slightly, but it still rubbed. They brought me back to make the decision if I wanted them on and I’m deciding to wait until leveling kit is put on. I was bummed because I saw a bunch of people saying they are running this size with no issues. I will say that size and tire looks awesome though on it.

Will update again in a few weeks once complete if it was just the style of 245/65/17. Next week getting wrap and a bunch of mods put on then leveling kit and getting tires at beginning of February. Thanks for the heads up it might just be based on LT version.
Sponsored