First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick FX4, Harley Road King Classic
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, Toyo has both the 225 and 235 for the Open Country AT3. I've pretty much decided to ditch the Pirelli ATRs immediately and have about decided on the TOC AT3 so I'm wondering if the 225 will be plenty good as well. Maybe go up to 235, but really weighing the pros/cons of staying with the stock sizing. Seen some great pics of some 245's but they stick out just a little much for my liking (maybe the FX4 Wheel Offset?). Seems 225 may be the right place to stay for now....maybe 235 when those get replaced.

Ford Maverick 225/65R17 Toyo Open Country AT3? 1634176884200

Seems not worth recalibrating between the two if you do change but definitely would make the "full" size spare difference a bit more (215/60R17).
Sponsored

CLH917

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Get five 235’s, it will fit as your spare. Lots of tire shops will buy back new “take off” tires, that can help recoup some of your expense. Discount Tire gave me $400 for the Pirelli’s.

VRausch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT EB 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
226/65 will be a fair bit smaller than the 225/70s you'd get if you didn't opt for the Falkens. The 235/65/17s are smaller than the base tire size, and going to a 225/65 from a 225/70 is a bit more than a 3% drop in diameter. You'd rack up miles 3% faster without a calibration, just FYI.

I'm in the same boat with wanting to swap tires as soon as I take delivery, too.

Last edited:

Alloymaker

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xlt maverick VB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, Toyo has both the 225 and 235 for the Open Country AT3. I've pretty much decided to ditch the Pirelli ATRs immediately and have about decided on the TOC AT3 so I'm wondering if the 225 will be plenty good as well. Maybe go up to 235, but really weighing the pros/cons of staying with the stock sizing. Seen some great pics of some 245's but they stick out just a little much for my liking (maybe the FX4 Wheel Offset?). Seems 225 may be the right place to stay for now....maybe 235 when those get replaced.

1634176884200.png

Ive got the toyo 235s ordered for when mine gets here next month
Seems not worth recalibrating between the two if you do change but definitely would make the "full" size spare difference a bit more (215/60R17).

Sponsored

OP
OP
ReddWulf

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
226/65 will be a fair bit smaller than the 225/70s you'd get if you didn't opt for the Falkens. The 235/65/17s are smaller than the base tire size, and going to a 225/65 from a 225/70 is a bit more than a 3% drop in diameter. You'd rack up miles 3% faster without a calibration, just FYI.

I'm in the same boat with wanting to swap tires as soon as I take delivery, too.
I'm not sure what size the stock non-FX4 Conti is, but 225/65R17 is the stock size for the Pirelli Scorpion ATR that comes factory stock with the FX4 package/rim. Couldn't option the 235 Wildpeaks without opting for yet another $800 wheel "upgrade" and then lose the black FX4 wheels.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Really stupid move on Ford product planning to not allow the 235 tire upgrade with the FX4 black wheel. They could've put an option upcharge on it, and capitalized even more. I would fire who made that decision! 👹

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm not sure what size the stock non-FX4 Conti is, but 225/65R17 is the stock size for the Pirelli Scorpion ATR that comes factory stock with the FX4 package/rim. Couldn't option the 235 Wildpeaks without opting for yet another $800 wheel "upgrade" and then lose the black FX4 wheels.
Yeah that was really stupid to have to lose the black wheels to option the 235s. Plus after hearing that the 235 Wildpeak doesn't share the same style as the other sizes, I opted for the 235 Toyos. Am swapping the Pirellis onto my wife's Rogue since it needs new tires and they will be fine for her. Discount let me put warranty coverage on them too which was nice.

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, because of this, I'm torn between a cactus FX4, and upgrading tires on my own, or hot pepper red with the "upgrade" wheels. I don't like the upgrade wheels with cactus, but they look good on the fire pepper, IMO....

OP
OP
ReddWulf

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah that was really stupid to have to lose the black wheels to option the 235s. Plus after hearing that the 235 Wildpeak doesn't share the same style as the other sizes, I opted for the 235 Toyos. Am swapping the Pirellis onto my wife's Rogue since it needs new tires and they will be fine for her. Discount let me put warranty coverage on them too which was nice.
Congrats! Can't wait to see how they look....I'll be living vicariously. Hey, maybe I better go check the tires on my Wife's RAV4!! 🙄

EDIT: Well, I'll be.....her stock tires are 225/65R17's. May be worth saving the take offs after all instead of Discount Tire takeoff haggle. They'd definitely be better than her stock RAV4 tires!! Thanks for the tip @mdl20813 !!

Last edited:
Sponsored

mdl20813

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Gray Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Congrats! Can't wait to see how they look....I'll be living vicariously. Hey, maybe I better go check the tires on my Wife's RAV4!! 🙄
Do it! As soon as I saw the Rogue was the same size, it was a done deal :LOL:

OP
OP
ReddWulf

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, because of this, I'm torn between a cactus FX4, and upgrading tires on my own, or hot pepper red with the "upgrade" wheels. I don't like the upgrade wheels with cactus, but they look good on the fire pepper, IMO....
I think the FX4 package is some great bang for your buck in terms of upgrades (display/cooling/etc) and styling (wheels/tow hooks/etc) - unless you already optioned the 4k tow which causes a lot of overlap. I do think they should have came up with a different logo, it's definitely just a straight up "Soft-Roader". Should have been like an "FX3.14" or something (I'm really hoping aftermarket comes up with something good). The black wheels look really great with Cactus IMHO. Tires are an easy change.

VRausch

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT EB 4K Tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I have no idea how, but this whole time I had in my head that the base tire was 225/70/17 and the option tire was 235/65/17. Explains why I though it was strange that the option tire was smaller than the base...That was all my mistake!

Oddly enough, I did the same this with my order- didn't want to lose the black wheels for the 235s and figured I'd just swap the stock FX4 tires when it gets delivered.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I am putting 235/65/17 Falken Wildpeak Trail AT within 3 days of getting myMaverick. Local tire shop said they can have them in a day. Hoping to get a few bucks for the non winter worthy Scorpions

OP
OP
ReddWulf

ReddWulf

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ive got the toyo 235s ordered for when mine gets here next month
Nice! Hopefully mine will be here next month also....was supposed to be built this week. Pushed to next week. Edit: Now pushed to the next week.

I'm really starting to lean toward the 235s now (and using one of my wife's tires as a 225/65R17 spare when she inherits the Scorpion ATR takeoffs (at least they'll be much closer in size)
Sponsored

Last edited: