Sponsored

22 vs 23 dilemma

aswistak

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XLT | '06 F150 Lariat-taking offers;)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Starting a thread for those that have (or will be getting) their 22 Maverick but put in orders for 23 that's on it's way

This is a good problem to have but I'm guessing many ordered 23s thinking you would have a long wait (and who knows... it's possible we still do even with production dates)

Interested to hear thoughts and wondering if it's not so cut and dry (do you keep 22 with low finance rate ~0% and wait and sell the 23 vs striking while the iron is hot on selling the 22 for significant profit and happily getting a new truck when the 23 comes in?).
Sponsored

Last edited:

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Buy 22 when it arrives towards the end of December (or January with my current luck). Finance at the low incentive based rates from back when I ordered it.

When 23 comes in (who knows when), trade in the 22 as part of 23 purchase.

If used Maverick values hold long enough, will most likely be me either doing a straight across trade, or maybe even come out ahead on the trade. My state allows for 100% of the trade in value to be deducted from the sales tax charged on the new vehicle. Including any amount still financed on the trade-in. So if my 22 trades in for lets say.......29K (MSRP is mid/high 27K with the options I have on it), when you take into account that I will be using a $500 Farm Bureau on BOTH 22 and 23 Mavericks, and that I do have an old Kia Minivan I plan to trade in when I get the 22 (estimating it will trade in for between 2-4k), I should come out ahead and able to basically have driven a 22 for a few months for "free" (or even make some money).

Now.....finance rates on the 23......that is what is gonna suck. I am going to be stuck with a crappy interest rate on the 23. But I will have a 23 XL with cruise control standard as well as a couple other little changes I made to my 23 order that were not on my 22 order.

OP
OP
aswistak

aswistak

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 'good' problem that I just got my 22 over a week ago and still have my F150 and got the production email for my 23 (Dec 12, 22)... If I can get the deal some are getting on the 22 (making $7-10K+!) I'm tempted to sell it and drive my F150 for 3+ months. I doubt I would lose money on the 22 but would hate for the crazy values to dip to the point where I do lose some on the 22.

OP
OP
aswistak

aswistak

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Buy 22 when it arrives towards the end of December (or January with my current luck). Finance at the low incentive based rates from back when I ordered it.

When 23 comes in (who knows when), trade in the 22 as part of 23 purchase.

If used Maverick values hold long enough, will most likely be me either doing a straight across trade, or maybe even come out ahead on the trade. My state allows for 100% of the trade in value to be deducted from the sales tax charged on the new vehicle. Including any amount still financed on the trade-in. So if my 22 trades in for lets say.......29K (MSRP is mid/high 27K with the options I have on it), when you take into account that I will be using a $500 Farm Bureau on BOTH 22 and 23 Mavericks, and that I do have an old Kia Minivan I plan to trade in when I get the 22 (estimating it will trade in for between 2-4k), I should come out ahead and able to basically have driven a 22 for a few months for "free" (or even make some money).

Now.....finance rates on the 23......that is what is gonna suck. I am going to be stuck with a crappy interest rate on the 23. But I will have a 23 XL with cruise control standard as well as a couple other little changes I made to my 23 order that were not on my 22 order.
Good point on trading the 22... it is appealing to save on taxes but I would imagine a dealer isn't going to offer the same crazy over MSRP offers that some are getting. Hate to leave money on the table, especially if it's going to a dealer than never leaves money on the table on our side

paneubert

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL/4K/AWD/CoPilot/CactusG/SlidingRearWindow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Good point on trading the 22... it is appealing to save on taxes but I would imagine a dealer isn't going to offer the same crazy over MSRP offers that some are getting. Hate to leave money on the table, especially if it's going to a dealer than never leaves money on the table on our side
Yep. There is some math that will have to go into my equation where I figure what I could get out of the 22 as a private party sale versus a trade in with the tax break. I THINK I can still claim the tax break if I private sale the 22 within a certain timeframe of buying the 23, but that sounds like paperwork and probably a reimbursement from the state department of revenue/department of licensing. Doesn't sound as fun as having the dealer handle all that as part of the 23 purchase. But if the $$$ difference is enough, my time and hassle is worth that money.

Cobraj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, Jeep Gladiator
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
unless my 22 turns out be problematic with all the issues you see. I intend on keeping the 22. haven't made up my mind if I will buy the 23 and flip on Carvana or something else.
Sponsored