Sponsored

Keikio999

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Here's my YouTube link for the build, about an 11 min video. Sound demo at 1:38.

Car Toys quoted $600 just for a custom box build. I bought all the materials for about $100 to make the box. After the sub, amp, wiring kit, etc I was all in for under $400. Picked a sub to match the air space in the under seat storage. Came out nice! Truck is a musical treat now on the daily commutes.

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Here's my YouTube link for the build, about an 11 min video. Sound demo at 1:38.

Car Toys quoted $600 just for a custom box build. I bought all the materials for about $100 to make the box. After the sub, amp, wiring kit, etc I was all in for under $400. Picked a sub to match the air space in the under seat storage. Came out nice! Truck is a musical treat now on the daily commutes.
Awesome video. I have never worked with fiberglass but I'm not ruling it out now because of the funny shape required for a wood box and the tight clearance on the corner. I'm sure others have also measured, but I'm looking at a wedge 8.5" wide at the bottom, 16" long, 7.25" deep (tall), and 10.25" wide at the top if it's wood. I'm by no means a skilled carpenter so when I saw you pulled out the tub around 6:30 of your video, I found that super helpful whether doing a fiberglass or wood enclosure.

Did you have to remove any of the metal frame on the corner to fit your enclosure? I'm considering something a little taller than what you did, and leaving the top of the corner but undercutting the metal it to give another 1'" - 1.5" clearance. I know Ford formed that metal for a reason, but I am not concerned about the structural integrity based on where the rubber feet go (straight onto metal) and that few people sit behind me... and none of them overly large.

OP
OP

Keikio999

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Awesome video. I have never worked with fiberglass but I'm not ruling it out now because of the funny shape required for a wood box and the tight clearance on the corner. I'm sure others have also measured, but I'm looking at a wedge 8.5" wide at the bottom, 16" long, 7.25" deep (tall), and 10.25" wide at the top if it's wood. I'm by no means a skilled carpenter so when I saw you pulled out the tub around 6:30 of your video, I found that super helpful whether doing a fiberglass or wood enclosure.

Did you have to remove any of the metal frame on the corner to fit your enclosure? I'm considering something a little taller than what you did, and leaving the top of the corner but undercutting the metal it to give another 1'" - 1.5" clearance. I know Ford formed that metal for a reason, but I am not concerned about the structural integrity based on where the rubber feet go (straight onto metal) and that few people sit behind me... and none of them overly large.
There's plenty of clearance for the box to fit in. That metal corner piece is actually what the bench sits on. I wouldn't advise trimming any of that. Crutchfield finished research on non-B&O models. They'll probably have speaker, sub, and wiring options out soon.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

There's plenty of clearance for the box to fit in. That metal corner piece is actually what the bench sits on. I wouldn't advise trimming any of that. Crutchfield finished research on non-B&O models. They'll probably have speaker, sub, and wiring options out soon.
Yeah, I really didn't want to trim it but was worried about fitment because I was hoping for something taller than what you built. I could come into the center over the driveshaft hump and gain a little more volume.

PDM33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks great man! Haven't messed with fiberglass in so long, it would be fun to get into a project like this again. Only issue I would have would be the space is a lot more limited in the Hybrid. You lose half the under seat storage so you would lose ALL of it building a box like this. Even so, it's tempting to give it a try.

Sponsored

Mav2

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All Fords
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for sharing!! Great job!

UberGadgetFreak

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice. Need one for the other side for the Hybrid gang since the 12v battery is in that spot on Hybrids.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I've seen subwoofer boxes that are installed behind the rear seat on Mavericks. Curious to why it was put here? Really, not passing any judgement at all.... sounds like you know sound... and I don't... so interested in the decision to go in the storage bin rather than the behind the seat. Less vibrations, ability to add a different type of subwoofer, etc?

OP
OP

Keikio999

First Name
Kegan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I've seen subwoofer boxes that are installed behind the rear seat on Mavericks. Curious to why it was put here? Really, not passing any judgement at all.... sounds like you know sound... and I don't... so interested in the decision to go in the storage bin rather than the behind the seat. Less vibrations, ability to add a different type of subwoofer, etc?
Good question. Basically came down to air volume. I'm not much of a carpenter. It would have been harder to build an MDF box (for me) and measure out the usable space behind the seatback. Glassing the bin I was able to use allll the space without guess work or tricky measurements. Plus I planned on using the factory mounts on the back wall to mount the amp. I'm assuming those brackets are where the Lariat upgraded B&O amp or sub mounts to.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Depth is minimal behind the seat back. Maybe 3-4 inches max. The under seat area is 8+ inches deep. Subwoofers need air volume.

Sponsored

bwayne

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150, 2008 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I cuss every time some ah pulls up behind or beside me with their damn subwoofer booming.

Ducky2022

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thanks for the inspiration! This might be my next project for my hybrid.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Nice. Need one for the other side for the Hybrid gang since the 12v battery is in that spot on Hybrids.
I have an ecooboost and I'm installing on the driver's side because passengers ride on the passenger side unless there's 4-5 people in the truck. The two sides in an ecoboost are mirror images so I am going to do exactly what the OP did, just in reverse. Same process, box would/could be the same size.

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
WoW 😳 I'm sure you're going to get a lot of this question. When are you going to start selling them LoL.