Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I hear people all the time, I want a manual car/truck. Why won't manufacturers build these!! I feel Porsche will be the last manufacture to offer one, my M5 DSG transmission upshift and downshifts faster than I ever could, and I don't have to take my hands off the wheel to do it.
True, but nothing beats the feeling of downshifting into a corner and gunning it ☺

My Jeep is a manual and I'll be keeping it, so at least when I want to I can row gears.
Sponsored

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
All due respect -- regarding the Maverick, the dealerships didn't have to do much. Most orders were over the internet. Myself, I walked into a dealer and ordered in person. I certainly knew more than the salesman about the Maverick and it Only took about 20 minutes.

They WILL make a profit with next to no expense or effort. Of coarse there's the dealers who reached out to interested folks but that certainly is the exception.
I get where you're coming from and I'm definitely not arguing that it is really hard work to sell a hot ticket item especially when it is just an order that will sit there for months. I was mainly referring to the allocation system getting a lot of people really angry about how "the man" is screwing them over when in reality the allocation system is a necessity to keep dealers happy especially the smaller ones. You need dealers alive to support your service network mainly, ordering a vehicle could be done entirely online but for most people they'd rather have someone guide them through it.

I also knew far more about the vehicle than the dealer did, but they also hadn't received a training unit yet and everyone who came in so far had done everything online already. They don't even have brochures for crying out loud so I can understand why they'd be uneducated about it.

Watchman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V12-XJS Jaguar, S10 LS Stepside
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
in reality the allocation system is a necessity to keep dealers happy especially the smaller ones.

They don't even have brochures for crying out loud so I can understand why they'd be uneducated about it.
First of all, Merry Christmas!

I guess I'm not understanding how allocations are a part in this when all Mavericks were to be "Retail" only? Please help me out here. We basically sold the vehicle to our selves and they just did the paperwork (at least in my case).

Also, we didn't have brochures either and if I was a car salesman, I would know everything I could about every model my dealership was selling. Maybe that's just me.

Turtle

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I guess I'm not understanding how allocations are a part in this when all Mavericks were to be "Retail" only? Please help me out here. We basically sold the vehicle to our selves and they just did the paperwork (at least in my case).

Also, we didn't have brochures either and if I was a car salesman, I would know everything I could about every model my dealership was selling. Maybe that's just me.
Dealers are allocated so many per. Month based on gross sales at the dealership. Sell more cars get more Mavericks allocated. Actually Ford does Regional allocations and then the region allocates to the dealers.

Arukoru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze

I agree, if I were a sales guy I would be way more on top of it. That said my salesman was a retiree who sells cars in his spare time. I try to be more lenient with folks even though I'd act differently myself, I can understand old school guys doing old school stuff.

Sponsored

tomahawk72

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had one dealer try telling me that the pre-rendered photo was the actual truck getting ready loaded into a train car :ROFLMAO:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

True, but nothing beats the feeling of downshifting into a corner and gunning it ☺

My Jeep is a manual and I'll be keeping it, so at least when I want to I can row gears.
Manual transmission left Professional Sports almost two decades ago, I'd rather keep my hands on the steering wheel and keep my eye on the road. I don't miss shift at all

abcinv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Tundra DBL Cab Limited 4WD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been rowing my gears commuting for the last 15 years (75 miles roundtrip). While I enjoy the control I've lost the love for it due to the uptick in congestion over that timespan. ATL traffic and manuals just isn't worth it anymore... I'm looking forward to an automatic thru the rest of my working years.

2cafn8d

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Wrangler, 2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Manual transmission left Professional Sports almost two decades ago, I'd rather keep my hands on the steering wheel and keep my eye on the road. I don't miss shift at all
I know. It's a personal preference. But I ordered a hybrid. It's ok by me. I wonder how it will autocross 🤔

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I get where you're coming from and I'm definitely not arguing that it is really hard work to sell a hot ticket item especially when it is just an order that will sit there for months. I was mainly referring to the allocation system getting a lot of people really angry about how "the man" is screwing them over when in reality the allocation system is a necessity to keep dealers happy especially the smaller ones. You need dealers alive to support your service network mainly, ordering a vehicle could be done entirely online but for most people they'd rather have someone guide them through it.

I also knew far more about the vehicle than the dealer did, but they also hadn't received a training unit yet and everyone who came in so far had done everything online already. They don't even have brochures for crying out loud so I can understand why they'd be uneducated about it.
A dealer, including Tim at LM, should be honest about everything that affects your place in line and disclose that your build depends greatly on a big variable called allocations. Someone who ordered in Oct can jump ahead of someone else who ordered back in August.

Custom builds should be based on date of order and only be held up by constraints, no matter which dealer it comes from.

The allocation system is Ford's attempt to be fair to dealers, but it is very unfair to Ford's real customers when others are able to cut the line in front of them.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

A dealer, including Tim at LM, should be honest about everything that affects your place in line and disclose that your build depends greatly on a big variable called allocations. Someone who ordered in Oct can jump ahead of someone else who ordered back in August.

Custom builds should be based on date of order and only be held up by constraints, no matter which dealer it comes from.

The allocation system is Ford's attempt to be fair to dealers, but it is very unfair to Ford's real customers when others are able to cut the line in front of them.
Define "real customers"! When you have a company with a fleet of trucks that get replaced every two years is that a real customer? Or someone who purchases a new truck every 6-7 years?

James D

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volkswagon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Define "real customers"! When you have a company with a fleet of trucks that get replaced every two years is that a real customer? Or someone who purchases a new truck every 6-7 years?
Anyone who actually buys a vehicle for fleet or personal use.

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My money is on no major product changes until a mid-cycle refresh. Changes like that would increase costs to increase demand, but demand is already higher than they can or want to fulfill so why try to increase demand?

Despite low-production, Ford just had a operating profit of $1.1 Billion, so even though revenue is down so are costs (for example less vehicles sold means less warranty costs) and revenue per vehicle is up $5000, and they supposedly have $31 billion in cash-on-hand which is healthy and gross profit is up over 17% from the year before. Many dealers are requiring customers to finance their vehicles or pay a markup, since financing is very profitable, and Ford Credit profit is at $962 million up from $30 million the year before.

The biggest change they want to make is changing their incentive system. With dealerships raking in stacks of cash from customers and wanting as many vehicles as Ford can sell them, and consumer demand super high, there's no reason for Ford to be paying dealers and customers cashback incentives. So from what I'm reading they want to end the incentive system, and switch to a new on-demand build to order business model, which reduces their costs and increases their profits even further.

tl;dr: I think no changes except to push financing more and a new build-to-order system for all their vehicles until demand and supply reach parity.
XL stays the same XLT'S UP $80.00 And Lariat some options are going up

Mymaverick2021

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steveo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I "may" get my early August truck by August..... , It will be interesting to see if there are any changes for MY23 such as maybe a sync 4 w/ larger screen or different exterior colors , interior options, or a 4wd hybrid or "gasp" an all electric announcement. As far as the questions " is this only for hybrids ", - unless they shut down ALL ordering how could it not be? The only difference for EB trucks would be on August 16th you would get a MY23 instead of a 22.
That's why everybody should just wait and see if there's any changes to styling or technical changes before they go hog wild and try to get ordered before the fact

jhud042002

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hyb XLT, lux (drop in) oxford white
Tim did say last night that of the 5500 Mavs they expect to produce in March, 2000 will be EB and 3500 will be Hybrid! Yea!
Great news, but there's no way Ford can get caught up on all the hybrid orders before they start taking/building MY23. We don't know the exact # of orders Ford has, but at a 60-70% conversion rate from reservations, that's 60-70,000, of which more than 60% are hybrids. It's not mathematically possible with the standing 40% hybrid engine constraint to get all ours built before they switch over to MY23......I'm banking a MY23 at this point, so 1 + for truck.
Sponsored