2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really?

I wonder why they are failing so often???

And even more puzzling, why can't we easily get replacements for such a common axle???
From what I've seen the vast majority of failures have been from people putting larger wheels/tires or adding a lift to it.

I'm not excusing it, just saying that's what I've seen.

No idea about axle availability, is it a standard axle or a Maverick one-off?
Sponsored

Riolynx

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sure appreciate this forum for the info provided. Spent two years searching out my Cactus Grey 2023 Hybrid XLT and was able to purchase mine at a dealership in February of this year. A women had ordered the vehicle in the fall of 2022 and subsequently purchased one at auction. When the vehicle was delivered to the dealership for her to pick up, she declined the purchase and the dealership called me offering it to me after they dealt with the title issues. Window sticker MSRP at $28,000, dealership started at $40,000 asking price. I really wanted this vehicle and was able to drive off the lot having paid $10,000 over the MSRP. Just love this truck! My first Ford vehicle, so my first time dealing with Ford Motor Co. I came to find out that my vehicle that arrived at the dealership with 55 miles on it and sold to me with 55 miles on it was sold to me as a used vehicle. The dealership would not award the new car FordPass Rewards points and I had to argue with the dealership to finally get my used vehicle purchase points. Not a big deal, but it sure left a bad impression.
At the end of May my front tires were bald. I contacted the dealership and went into their FastLane, at which time they reported the tires were defective and replaced the factory Continental tires on the front at no charge. They replaced in June at about 7,000 miles. Quick response, great service.
In August I began having the "Death Wobble" in my front end whenever I accelerated past about 30-40%. This would stop when I backed off or when I reached a level speed. Both of the new front tires were loosing all their tread. At 10,000 miles I had the scheduled service and was told by the FastLane crew that the front end wobbling might be my drivetrain and that I needed to go to the dealership service area to assess. The service manager was unable to get the wobble to occur and we left it that if it reoccured I should bring it to a dealership.
Early September and the front end wobble is worse and my front tires are almost bald again. Called my local dealership to schedule diagnostic appointment and was given an appointment for a month and a half later. Made that appointment this past Monday and was told that the front axle needed replacing and that the dealership had ordered one that would be on back-order at this time. I asked the Service Advisor if both front axles were being addressed and she replied that there was only one front axle on my vehicle. She also reported that my front tires would not be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and gave me a printed estimate on the cost to replace all four tires. I left the dealership service department with my truck exactly as I had driven it in that morning. Same wobble in the front end and both front tires bald (I had to swap out the driver side front tire with the spare because it would not hold air).
Upon returning home I got on this forum and looked at others experience with the exact same issues. I also verified that, as I thought, my front wheel drive truck does indeed have two front axles/CV joints. I recontacted the dealership and spoke with the Service Advisor I had worked with on Monday and asked her to verify that both the right and left front axles were ordered. She stated that the passenger side was the only side affected, but would check with the service manager to clarify. I stated that both axles would need replacement. She called me back shortly and told me that both were ordered, but that the passenger side axle was on back order.
I went ahead and contacted Ford Motor Co in Dearborn about my concern over the defective axles on my 2023 vehicle and issues surrounding replacement of both the axles and my front tires. I now have a case number and was assured a customer service representative would contact me within 24 hours.
Again, I LOVE this truck. I was impressed with the engineering and design, as well as Ford Motor Co's forward thinking in producing a unibody, 4 door, hybrid truck that would be affordable to people unable to normally get into either the truck or hybrid market. As for service and customer care, I am yet to be satisfied with this aspect of Ford Motor Co. (FastLane staff/service excluded).
I will continue to update my journey getting these issues resolved and look for a YouTube post soon.
Quick question, is your Maverick stock in terms of tire size and lifts? I have this exact issue currently with the CV axles, but I have a 2.5in Superlift (body lift) and oversized tires (245/70/R17). The service department at the dealer says they look at each Maverick individually to determine the problem, so they may very well say it's the lift or tires for me. From the looks of it, some stock Mavs have the same issue, making me think it's faulty parts and the lift isn't what's causing it, which would be rather annoying to pay for repair due to them claiming it voids warranty. I'm currently waiting on a response from them to see if my exact setup voids it or not. I just wonder if there will ever be a recall...

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Really?

I wonder why they are failing so often???

And even more puzzling, why can't we easily get replacements for such a common axle???
Because new vehicle production has priority.

I think at this point there are two maverick owners. those with whose axles have failed and those whos axles will fail.

Parts are maybe $400 and not sure how many hours its charged for warranty but I bet this is a $1k warranty claim. With around 180k units sold (all markets) and 10% failure rate (just a guess but in manufacturing that is a pretty bad rate) its $18million. Enough to correct ? who knows.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

0% failure rate (just a guess but in manufacturing that is a pretty bad rate)
there is no way it's even close to a 10% failure rate on unmodified vehicles. I would bet less than 1%.

modified - eh, whatever. if you have a 2" lift you knew the risks, or should. OP has a hybrid and I would be about 99.9% confident it hasn't been lifted, spacers or wide wheels, etc. stock.

jewc75

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Z06 12 Mustang 22 Maverick 93 Lightning 19 GTI
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A new vehicle arrived at the dealership, orderer declined the order and then was sold as used? Kind of weird. Im guessing it was sold, shitty lift installed, no alignment done, and it drove like ass. Original owner put it back to stock and traded it in. Id definitely have the alignment checked.

Sponsored

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
there is no way it's even close to a 10% failure rate on unmodified vehicles. I would bet less than 1%.

modified - eh, whatever. if you have a 2" lift you knew the risks, or should. OP has a hybrid and I would be about 99.9% confident it hasn't been lifted, spacers or wide wheels, etc. stock.
you are probably right, its much lower than 10%, though a CV axle should be one of those items that shouldn't fail especially during the warranty period. It is such a basic part with no "breakthrough" design that it makes you question things.

On a side note, are axles covered by bumper to bumper or powertrain ?

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A bunch of people have paid that much over sticker.

We've seen it so many times on this forum, and then a bunch of people yelling at the person who did it with "Why would you ever pay 10k over sticker!" 😆
It just makes no sense to me!

Tim d

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes "scalpers" dealers are doing the same where I live and people want theses trucks so bad their willing to over pay the ridiculous prices. I wanted a Maverick but I don't want one that bad.
I wanted one also and got it in May.paid sticker price,which was a first for me,I always pay under sticker.

Captain

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Nova Convertible /
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

A bunch of people have paid that much over sticker.

We've seen it so many times on this forum, and then a bunch of people yelling at the person who did it with "Why would you ever pay 10k over sticker!" 😆
The answer to this question is simple. They are paying those prices because they can.

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A new vehicle arrived at the dealership, orderer declined the order and then was sold as used? Kind of weird. Im guessing it was sold, shitty lift installed, no alignment done, and it drove like ass. Original owner put it back to stock and traded it in. Id definitely have the alignment checked.
The OP should have known something was up when the dealer told him they had to deal with a "title issue" before they could sell it to him.

Salvage title?

Sponsored

23grayXLT84

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 hybrid xlt base.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The OP should have known something was up when the dealer told him they had to deal with a "title issue" before they could sell it to him.

Salvage title?
Had to reread. Whoever ordered it refused delivery because they bought one at auction ? So OP bought it after dealer cleared up some title issues...sold as used.

Think of it OP should go get vehicle inspected somewhere trustworthy. Used, title issues, 50 miles.... If I lived close I would offer to take a look with my amateur eyes.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

you are probably right, its much lower than 10%, though a CV axle should be one of those items that shouldn't fail especially during the warranty period. It is such a basic part with no "breakthrough" design that it makes you question things.

On a side note, are axles covered by bumper to bumper or powertrain ?
powertrain

Salvage title?
More likely in my opinion is that they bought it used whether trade in, auction, dealer trade (least likely).

They surely have the legal paperwork in place to get the title, but they might not have it currently.

Mavboy2023

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sure appreciate this forum for the info provided. Spent two years searching out my Cactus Grey 2023 Hybrid XLT and was able to purchase mine at a dealership in February of this year. A women had ordered the vehicle in the fall of 2022 and subsequently purchased one at auction. When the vehicle was delivered to the dealership for her to pick up, she declined the purchase and the dealership called me offering it to me after they dealt with the title issues. Window sticker MSRP at $28,000, dealership started at $40,000 asking price. I really wanted this vehicle and was able to drive off the lot having paid $10,000 over the MSRP. Just love this truck! My first Ford vehicle, so my first time dealing with Ford Motor Co. I came to find out that my vehicle that arrived at the dealership with 55 miles on it and sold to me with 55 miles on it was sold to me as a used vehicle. The dealership would not award the new car FordPass Rewards points and I had to argue with the dealership to finally get my used vehicle purchase points. Not a big deal, but it sure left a bad impression.
At the end of May my front tires were bald. I contacted the dealership and went into their FastLane, at which time they reported the tires were defective and replaced the factory Continental tires on the front at no charge. They replaced in June at about 7,000 miles. Quick response, great service.
In August I began having the "Death Wobble" in my front end whenever I accelerated past about 30-40%. This would stop when I backed off or when I reached a level speed. Both of the new front tires were loosing all their tread. At 10,000 miles I had the scheduled service and was told by the FastLane crew that the front end wobbling might be my drivetrain and that I needed to go to the dealership service area to assess. The service manager was unable to get the wobble to occur and we left it that if it reoccured I should bring it to a dealership.
Early September and the front end wobble is worse and my front tires are almost bald again. Called my local dealership to schedule diagnostic appointment and was given an appointment for a month and a half later. Made that appointment this past Monday and was told that the front axle needed replacing and that the dealership had ordered one that would be on back-order at this time. I asked the Service Advisor if both front axles were being addressed and she replied that there was only one front axle on my vehicle. She also reported that my front tires would not be covered under the bumper to bumper warranty and gave me a printed estimate on the cost to replace all four tires. I left the dealership service department with my truck exactly as I had driven it in that morning. Same wobble in the front end and both front tires bald (I had to swap out the driver side front tire with the spare because it would not hold air).
Upon returning home I got on this forum and looked at others experience with the exact same issues. I also verified that, as I thought, my front wheel drive truck does indeed have two front axles/CV joints. I recontacted the dealership and spoke with the Service Advisor I had worked with on Monday and asked her to verify that both the right and left front axles were ordered. She stated that the passenger side was the only side affected, but would check with the service manager to clarify. I stated that both axles would need replacement. She called me back shortly and told me that both were ordered, but that the passenger side axle was on back order.
I went ahead and contacted Ford Motor Co in Dearborn about my concern over the defective axles on my 2023 vehicle and issues surrounding replacement of both the axles and my front tires. I now have a case number and was assured a customer service representative would contact me within 24 hours.
Again, I LOVE this truck. I was impressed with the engineering and design, as well as Ford Motor Co's forward thinking in producing a unibody, 4 door, hybrid truck that would be affordable to people unable to normally get into either the truck or hybrid market. As for service and customer care, I am yet to be satisfied with this aspect of Ford Motor Co. (FastLane staff/service excluded).
I will continue to update my journey getting these issues resolved and look for a YouTube post soon.
This doesn't pass the smell test. Every car, even with 55 miles on it, is either NEW or USED. If it was untitled, even ordered by another person, it still remains NEW until titled in someone's name. Something here does not add up to me. Plus paying 10k over sticker is insane. I think that you have too much time on your hands to write fiction.

Mavboy2023

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Had to reread. Whoever ordered it refused delivery because they bought one at auction ? So OP bought it after dealer cleared up some title issues...sold as used.

Think of it OP should go get vehicle inspected somewhere trustworthy. Used, title issues, 50 miles.... If I lived close I would offer to take a look with my amateur eyes.
This story is fake.

OP
OP
Phill Botham

Phill Botham

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This doesn't pass the smell test. Every car, even with 55 miles on it, is either NEW or USED. If it was untitled, even ordered by another person, it still remains NEW until titled in someone's name. Something here does not add up to me. Plus paying 10k over sticker is insane. I think that you have too much time on your hands to write fiction.
not making any of this up. i’ll go ahead and take a photo of the window sticker and my sale contract. Keep in mind the 2022 used models of this truck were selling way over original purchase price with 5-10,000 miles on them.
Sponsored