2023 Hybrid or Ecoboost? Pros and Cons?

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
Thinking about ordering a 2023 Maverick but trying to decide on ordering the Hybrid or the Ecoboost? I am attracted to the hybrid for the fuel economy, etc but with the recall and some issues I see folks having I am a little concerned. We have leased (3) vehicles with the 2.0 ecoboost in them (fusion and (2) edges) but we only lease for (2) years. I am going to buy this Maverick though so therefore I need to think about longevity, etc.

How proven is the powertrain and battery system in the hybrid Maverick?
It looks like the warranty is (8) years or 100K miles. What all does that warranty cover?

Looking for some insight from owners of both the hybrid and the ecoboost. Any input would be great.
Sponsored

xlt-doug

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick (soon) Escape (current)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ecoboost offers AWD and higher tow capacity. Hybrid’s offer great gas mileage and fwd which ain’t bad in the snow. So really depends on what your going to do with it

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There's been a lot of discussion of pros and cons in this forum, but I doubt that folks are going to recreate it all here for you. You will probably just have to search through the threads.

But beware, there's a fair amount of unwarranted criticism that goes back and forth between the EcoBoost and Hybrid camps. Take it all with a grain of salt.

Here's some warranty info to start you off.
2022-Ford-Car-Lt-Truck-Hybrid-Warranty-version-2_frdwa_EN-US_12_2020.pdf

Vols44

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Edge
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thinking about ordering a 2023 Maverick but trying to decide on ordering the Hybrid or the Ecoboost? I am attracted to the hybrid for the fuel economy, etc but with the recall and some issues I see folks having I am a little concerned. We have leased (3) vehicles with the 2.0 ecoboost in them (fusion and (2) edges) but we only lease for (2) years. I am going to buy this Maverick though so therefore I need to think about longevity, etc.

It looks like the warranty is (8) years or 100K miles. What all does that warranty cover?

Looking for some insight from owners of both the hybrid and the ecoboost. Any input would be great.

You already have an 2.0L Ecoboost perspective and most average 25mpg. The 8F35 transmission is fairly new.

The 2.5L Aktinson engine has been around for a long time. The eCVT has it's own thread on the MTC: https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...id-transmissions-have-started-production.936/

I could go on, but Dry Heat threw a strike with the comment that all the things your looking for have been covered multiple times and the search feature remains your friend.

TheShark

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Lariat Tremor, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

DryHeat is right, if you do a search you will find many discussions on this topic and as xlt-doug pointed out each has there merits and you need to pick what is best for you. It's kind of like the debate over trim level and colors, all subjective.

Sponsored

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can only speak from my perspective of owning and driving my hybrid XLT with the lux pkg. I love it! Plenty of power! Love the gas mileage! I'm not worried about the battery dying out anytime soon.

The only downfall right now is the recall for possible engine fires with the hybrid. Mine goes in to the Ford dealership Tuesday for the fix. My wife has a '22 hybrid Escape SE with the same recall, which goes in to the Ford dealership on Monday.

MDR

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
MDR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford honda
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Read that ford teamed up with toyota years ago with the hybrid battery so we r getting a hybrid as the Toyota hybrid can last 250, to 300, thousand miles with proper maintenance

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

One you can get; the other, not so much…
Ford Maverick 2023 Hybrid or Ecoboost? Pros and Cons? 72E1263D-4D2E-4C19-8803-EE1D8D1CB917

Last edited:

Greg_in_GA

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
A huge advantage of the Ecoboost is that if you order one you will have a much better chance of actually getting it.

Only 35% of 2023s will be Hybrid and my impression is that a lot of 22 converted carryover orders that should have priority were hybrids. Back in July when the order books were going to open on August 2nd I set up a preorder for a hybrid XL. It turns out that only 15% of 2023s will be XLs so with the large number of orders it is clear that a Hybrid XL is a unicorn that I would likely not get.

I ended up entering a second order for an Ecoboost XLT Lux that I am much more likely to get. I will take whichever comes first and cancel the other order.

The Ecoboost will not get as good gas mileage but we do not drive a lot of miles per year so that is less critical for us and the MPG will still be better than the pickup it is replacing.

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sponsored

Chicolini

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150s, Mustang GT Convertible, Mazda B3000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thinking about ordering a 2023 Maverick but trying to decide on ordering the Hybrid or the Ecoboost?

Today the orders close for Hybrids.

May I ask what you decided?

I have the Ecoboost, that I paid a hefty premium to obtain, and it is an absolute hoot to drive. It feels incredibly fast, rides so nice, is easy to park and has very comfortable seats. For 3,600 miles I have averaged over 32 MPG here on the flat lands of East Virginia.

I have never even seen a Hybrid Maverick. But maybe someday?

Timothyd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Miata, motorcycles
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That same powertrain has been in other Ford vehicles successfully for a dozen years now.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Engine
Undecided
Today the orders close for Hybrids.

May I ask what you decided?

I have the Ecoboost, that I paid a hefty premium to obtain, and it is an absolute hoot to drive. It feels incredibly fast, rides so nice, is easy to park and has very comfortable seats. For 3,600 miles I have averaged over 32 MPG here on the flat lands of East Virginia.

I have never even seen a Hybrid Maverick. But maybe someday?
Glad to hear that you are enjoying your EB. I ended up ordering one hybrid and one EB. Who knows if we'll get both (or even one). One for me and one for the misses.
Sponsored