Sponsored

2023 Hybrid Maverick issues... any advice before I call my local dealer?

jeffml222

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a rant more than anything because I need to vent, but any advice or experience with trying to get these issues fixed are welcome. My truck is a recent 2023 hybrid build, so past recalls and TSB's do not apply according to Ford. Having said that, buyer beware. Just because some of these issues have been recalled or the 2022 issues were to be fixed for future production, they continue to be an issue in 2023 builds. At least for me.

Today I contacted Ford directly to discuss four issues my truck has experienced in the first 2 months of ownership:

1) Grabby brakes
2) Shuddering while driving at low speed/coasting
3) Lurching/Jerking at red lights with my foot on the brake
4) Bluetooth disconnecting and glitchy infotainment/backup camera (I have the latest software update)

I do not have any hope the Bluetooth issues will be fixed, but I still want it documented. It is crazy that my 2013 Ford Fusion with the maligned MyFord Touch worked far better than the Mav's system.

The brakes and shuddering ARE a big issue to me and they have severely lessened my enjoyment of the Maverick. I will go a few days with no issue, start to forget about it, enjoy my drive, then have something happen bringing me back to being paranoid and overly attentive to everything I do in the truck.

My hybrid was built December 17, 2022 and I picked it up January 31, 2023. There are no recalls or Technical Service Bulletins that apply to my truck, according to Ford. If I go to the dealership, I will need to pay the diagnostic fees and hope they find something and waive those fees under the warranty. Even though my truck should have been built with the latest software and parts, it is happening just like the trucks built prior to mine.

Any advice before I give the local dealer a call?
Sponsored

wheremav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have the grabby/jerking/lurching brake issue too in my 2022 hybrid xlt. Have yet to call a dealer about it, but its certainly a nuisance and at times unsafe. Not sure what I should do or if the TSB addresses this issue for my build.

OP
OP
jeffml222

jeffml222

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It seems like the TSB works some of the time, doesn't do much other times. My truck was built AFTER the TSB so it is supposed to have the updated software. So I guess my truck would fall in line with the "didn't work" category. I hope whatever is affecting these trucks is figure out sooner than later. A cheap truck should still brake properly.

Ford Truck Guy

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I go to the dealership, I will need to pay the diagnostic fees and hope they find something and waive those fees under the warranty.
WHAT? What dealership charges diagnostic fees for a new vehicle under warranty?

OP
OP
jeffml222

jeffml222

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
WHAT? What dealership charges diagnostic fees for a new vehicle under warranty?
The Ford customer service rep said that depending on the state the dealer might charge a diagnostic fee for any visit that is not directly related to an open recall or TSB. If they find something that needs to be repaired, then I could request the service manager waive the fee. If a repair is made and later it is linked to a recall I could ask for it to be refunded too. But they were emphatic that it was up to the dealership to determine if they would charge or waive any fees.

I am in Maryland so I'm not sure how this will work for me, but I'd rather get as much info BEFORE I call so I am well prepared for any potential BS. I didn't buy the truck locally either, so the dealers near me won't feel obligated to help me out since I am not their sales customer. Just their service headache.

Sponsored

NewcMaverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cruze
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have the shuddering and grabby brakes at low speed. Also one night when my wife used remote start we came out to the truck sounding like a metal can of nuts-and-bolts. Scared me shit-less so we shut it off. Turned it on with the key and it sounded normal and hasn't done it yet. The injectors were super loud and rattling with remote start. We took it to the dealer, I mentioned the service bulletins that mention these items and the tech goes "no, they just like that". We may try to take it back to the dealer after printing out the service bulletins.

Axlesup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85K10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Both our Mavericks have grabby brakes when they are cold, but we're used to driving high performance cars and high temp brake pads are really grabby when they're cold. If it really bothers you and you just can't get used to it try to find a set of cooler pads and put them on the rear brakes but be aware that you're lowering your payload and towing capacity because they will crystallize at a lower temperature and then you'll have little no brakes at all when that happens. Been there done that race car history etc etc..

When I am in sport mode and idling at a stoplight or if the engine turns on in normal mode to charge the batteries I get a slight bit of surging. It feels to me like a slightly warped flywheel on a car with a manual transmission. Try putting it in neutral and see if that makes it go away. It's not quite the same as putting your manual transmission in neutral and engaging the clutch but maybe it will help. On my race cars/trucks I would resurface or replace the flywheel when this happens.

To gearheads like me and my 67-year-old mother these things are totally normal for cars to do so just keep that in mind.

I would highly recommend not remote starting your cars nothing good ever comes from that.

To each his own and I hope yall find a solution for your issues. The above advice is things I have learned from racing cars and trucks on and off road for most of my life.

I'm sure Ford will say it just needs reprogramming or something like that because that's the easy thing to say and it's likely they can teach the computer to hide the symptoms.

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I had these kind of problem and a fix is not evident soon I would unload the truck.
Life is too short to get ulcers over a new vehicle driving you nuts.

OP
OP
jeffml222

jeffml222

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
We have the shuddering and grabby brakes at low speed. Also one night when my wife used remote start we came out to the truck sounding like a metal can of nuts-and-bolts. Scared me shit-less so we shut it off. Turned it on with the key and it sounded normal and hasn't done it yet. The injectors were super loud and rattling with remote start. We took it to the dealer, I mentioned the service bulletins that mention these items and the tech goes "no, they just like that". We may try to take it back to the dealer after printing out the service bulletins.
Living with these issues wouldn't be a big deal if they were just quirks of the truck.
Both our Mavericks have grabby brakes when they are cold, but we're used to driving high performance cars and high temp brake pads are really grabby when they're cold. If it really bothers you and you just can't get used to it try to find a set of cooler pads and put them on the rear brakes but be aware that you're lowering your payload and towing capacity because they will crystallize at a lower temperature and then you'll have little no brakes at all when that happens. Been there done that race car history etc etc..

When I am in sport mode and idling at a stoplight or if the engine turns on in normal mode to charge the batteries I get a slight bit of surging. It feels to me like a slightly warped flywheel on a car with a manual transmission. Try putting it in neutral and see if that makes it go away. It's not quite the same as putting your manual transmission in neutral and engaging the clutch but maybe it will help. On my race cars/trucks I would resurface or replace the flywheel when this happens.

To gearheads like me and my 67-year-old mother these things are totally normal for cars to do so just keep that in mind.

I would highly recommend not remote starting your cars nothing good ever comes from that.

To each his own and I hope yall find a solution for your issues. The above advice is things I have learned from racing cars and trucks on and off road for most of my life.

I'm sure Ford will say it just needs reprogramming or something like that because that's the easy thing to say and it's likely they can teach the computer to hide the symptoms.
I appreciate your insights. Most of the little quirks seem like they are not a big deal. I guess my biggest issues are both not know what’s normal and acceptable and what is an issue that should be looked into. Like the shudder usually feels insignificant but other times it’s bad. But if it’s not going to hurt the power train I won’t need to keep an eye on it and stop worrying. I’d love to drive another hybrid Maverick for a few days. If it does the same things, I’d have the peace of mind to just get used to it and not worry on the rare occasion things get real wonky. Since I can’t drive one I am hoping the forums can help me get some insights.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Good morning! I'd like to look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jeffml222

jeffml222

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Good morning! I'd like to look into this for you. Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership information at your earliest convenience.
Hi Ford (Milo),

You already have my info via PM. You stated:

“Thanks for the continued transparency regarding your situation. Moving forward, the service manager at your dealership will be the best point of contact for further information. I will update your case notes to reflect that you've reached out. Thank you and have a great day.”

is there anything else you/Ford can do? Would Ford waive the diagnostic charge for me that the dealer will want? Ford customer service states that there are no recalls or repairs listed for my truck so taking it in for service is not covered unless a fix is needed. Even after that I may need to pay the diagnostic fees. All I would like is for a technician to take it for a bit and see if they can offer a fix or piece of mind that it isn’t a problem.

wheremav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Called one of my local ford dealerships and scheduled an appointment about the brakes and noted the TSB. Service guy said yeah don't listen to the TSB, its a brake issue not really software related and i think he mentioned something about the rotors... I'll have more info after I bring in the truck for service April 4th.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
I have the grabby/jerking/lurching brake issue too in my 2022 hybrid xlt. Have yet to call a dealer about it, but its certainly a nuisance and at times unsafe. Not sure what I should do or if the TSB addresses this issue for my build.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Bigbill27

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 focus, 2023 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hey Ford, how about giving us an update on the progress of the deep sleep mode fix. My car has no reason to go into deep sleep but it does every time I turn it off. The battery is fine and the charger is fine but it still goes into deep sleep. I don't have any problems with my accessories or starting and running the truck.

Jonny44

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mav XLT,2013 Ford F150 XLT 4x4, 2015 Kia Soul
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The software update worked for my brakes, but I haven't experienced the other issues you're having. A trip to the dealer should be scheduled for repair.
Sponsored