First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It makes a bit of sense, trucks are pretty lite in the rear, even with a 400 lb tongue weight (assuming 1:10) it might have a higher likelihood of doing bad things under certain circumstances so reduce liability early

/shrug
Its the other way around.

When there is a lot of weight in the rear, like heavy tongue weight, it pushes down on the back of the car which in turn lifts up on the front of the car, making for less forward traction.

Its not really a safety issue, just that RWD or AWD is better for accelerating traction towing than FWD. Probably just not enough 4K kits to go around, and maybe not even enough trucks to go around, so upsell people to the more capable and profitable AWD.
Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
Its the other way around.

When there is a lot of weight in the rear, like heavy tongue weight, it pushes down on the back of the car which in turn lifts up on the front of the car, making for less forward traction.

Its not really a safety issue, just that RWD or AWD is better for accelerating traction towing than FWD.
My days as an engineer dispute your analysis

velvetsMT

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, F250. F350
Any Hybrid - "Until further notice, stock hybrids orders will not be selected for scheduling" ... which implies only "retail" (a.k.a. customer orders) hybrids will be selected for scheduling.

If you are a customer with a Hybrid order that your dealer assigned an "80" (i.e. "stock) to it, get on their case and make sure it gets changed to 10-19 or it may be quite a while before your order gets scheduled.
So when I called my dealer to drop the molded splash guards today I ask about my priority code and they said there is no such thing. On my original paperwork it says type "stock" and priority code 80 but that print out was made before I came in to pay my deposit. Should I be worried? They also claimed Ford is not scheduling builds on any Mavericks yet and I know that's a lie.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My days as an engineer dispute your analysis
You didn't dispute anything, you made an appeal to authority using an anonymous online alias, lol! If you'd like to have a debate about the physics involved, then do so.

Here's an appeal to authority that also offers an explanation that is more or less mirroring what I just said: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-why-you-can-tow-with-a-front-wheel-drive-car/

Ford automotive engineers or lawyers weren't suddenly surprised at the last minute that FWD towing isn't as safe, but they probably were surprised by the amount of orders and of 4K kits in particular and may have supply issues, particularly with COVID surges happening again which was unexpected.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You didn't dispute anything, you made an appeal to authority using an anonymous online alias, lol! If you'd like to have a debate about the physics involved, then do so.

Here's an appeal to authority that also offers an explanation that is more or less mirroring what I just said: https://www.motorbiscuit.com/heres-why-you-can-tow-with-a-front-wheel-drive-car/

Ford automotive engineers or lawyers weren't suddenly surprised at the last minute that FWD towing isn't as safe, but they probably were surprised by the amount of orders and of 4K kits in particular and may have supply issues, particularly with COVID surges happening again which was unexpected.
Anonymous online alias?

it is my first 2 initials and last name. I academically publish with this name depending on the field

/plonk troll

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anonymous online alias?

it is my first 2 initials and last name. I academically publish with this name depending on the field /plonk troll
Again you've just repeated "nuh uh, I'm super duper smart", that's not a retort. I don't know who you are, and most probably don't, so a proper rebuttal involves actually contributing to the discussion. Popular Mechanics is a pretty well known publication, so here is more to elaborate on that, and in their words: https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a28857075/front-wheel-drive-towing/
Popular Mechanics said:
It’s pretty simple: push the rear of the vehicle down and the front goes up. And if your front end is where the propulsion happens, that’s not helpful. With front-wheel-drive, you need to think about weight transfer. You already have the trailer’s tongue weight decreasing the normal force on the front tires, and accelerating does the same thing. So beware of accelerating from a stop on an incline.
Which sounds very similar to what I had said:
JASmith said:

Its not really a safety issue, just that RWD or AWD is better for accelerating traction towing than FWD.
Its really not advanced level physics that the Ford engineers just had a change of heart on, we're just in a market right now where demand is outstripping supply. Its quite likely that when things calm down and get back to normal, you'll be able to order 4K packages for FWD models again. For right this moment, AWD is both more capable and most importantly more profitable, so they push for that knowing they are going to easily sell every Maverick they can make.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Again you've just repeated "nuh uh, I'm super duper smart", that's not a retort. I don't know who you are, and most probably don't, so a proper rebuttal involves actually contributing to the discussion. Popular Mechanics is a pretty well known publication, so here is more to elaborate on that, and in their words: https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a28857075/front-wheel-drive-towing/

Which sounds very similar to what I had said:

Its really not advanced level physics that the Ford engineers just had a change of heart on, we're just in a market right now where demand is outstripping supply. Its quite likely that when things calm down and get back to normal, you'll be able to order 4K packages for FWD models again.
Wouldn't waste my time, this stranger's mythical sense of self is - ummmmm - interesting. I am not the only poster who has called him out for hilariously ridiculous lies about his accomplishments. Don't worry, he'll shortly have this exchange reported and deleted.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So when I called my dealer to drop the molded splash guards today I ask about my priority code and they said there is no such thing. On my original paperwork it says type "stock" and priority code 80 but that print out was made before I came in to pay my deposit. Should I be worried? They also claimed Ford is not scheduling builds on any Mavericks yet and I know that's a lie.
Yes? I thought priority code 80 was for dealer stock. Sounds like they ordered a Maverick for the dealership using you to order it. I don’t know for fact just brainstorming.

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Your dealer is clueless ... there should be a "'priority code" on your DORA (Dealer provided Order Summary).

For that order to be "retail" (i.e. a customer order) the priority code should be anywhere from "10-19". Assigning a "10-19" priority code is a proactive action on the part of the dealer.

The dealer ordering system defaults to priority code "80" (i.e. Dealer Stock)

Sponsored

MAVRICK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Any
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Crazy

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Terrain
Well, well, well, I ordered the FWD and 4 K to tow my trailer (2650 lbs). It is scheduled to be built 9/20. My dealer has not contacted me.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With that priority code ..., I would say highly likely.
dealer can only go from 10-19, if you are a 2 you have been submitted by the region as a build unit for this allocation round. If you do’t go into production then it is a constraint issue or more 1s were submitted than were available (only a 1 or another 2) can push you back outside of constraint issues as I understand it

Scooter66

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford F-150 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If Ford thought it was a problem NO ONE would be able to order a fwd with tow package(Ford wouldn’t want a lawsuit). It’s most likely due to commodity availability of parts for the tow package is being shifted to awd only.
That’s funny. If Ford thought the MIC tops for the Bronco weren’t going to be a problem (they did) they wouldn’t be replacing 8,000 tops (and they are). Do not put it past Ford to do something stupid!

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
dealer can only go from 10-19, if you are a 2 you have been submitted by the region as a build unit for this allocation round. If you do’t go into production then it is a constraint issue or more 1s were submitted than were available (only a 1 or another 2) can push you back outside of constraint issues as I understand it
I called Ford, they don't have an order code or VIN. Where are you getting it from?
Sponsored