Sponsored

2022 Model Year Vehicles Worst Initial Quality/Reliability in 36 years per JD Powers

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What are being dubbed as "pandemic cars" are seeing as an industry the worst overall quality/reliability in JD Powers 36 years of running the numbers.

For 36 years, J.D. Power has conducted its Initial Quality study to gauge customer feedback in the first few months of new-vehicle ownership. And the news for 2022 isn't good – overall initial quality has never been as bad as it is now.

Vehicle owners are asked 223 questions; the results are tabulated and ranked on a scale of problems per 100 vehicles – PP100 for short. As such, a higher number is bad, and for 2022 the overall industry average is up to 180 problems per 100 vehicles (180 PP100). It's an 11 percent increase from 2021, and it's the highest number ever recorded in the study's history.

The consumer insights group blamed the drop in quality on supply chain issues related to the COVID-19 pandemic and record-high prices among other factors.
So if you were ever likely to get a lemon or just have a few niggles not quite worked out by the factory, 2022 was unfortunately peak fail for the industry. 😓

https://www.jdpower.com/business/pr...ial-quality-study-iqs?hss_channel=tw-46775492
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
JASmith

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1st Buick
2nd Dodge
3rd Chevrolet...

:ROFLMAO:
Not surprised, Buick has been improving for a while, according to Consumer Reports as well. Dodge only has three vehicles left in its lineup, the Charger/Challenger which can effectively be considered the same aging car and the Durango, all three of which are ridiculously old now so any bugs have been worked out ages ago.

The key takeaway though is that scores are down for everyone, Honda, Toyota, etc.

I recall reading an article a while back about how even Honda officially changed its quality policy. "Scratch and dent" parts that previously would have been rejected were now officially to be used on the brand new vehicles anyway due to shortages as long as it worked. So even if the box of wire harnesses got kicked down the street by UPS before arriving at the factory, if Honda tested it and it showed no errors, they would duck tape it on anyway.

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not surprised, Buick has been improving for a while, according to Consumer Reports as well. Dodge only has three vehicles left in its lineup, the Charger/Challenger which can effectively be considered the same aging car and the Durango, all three of which are ridiculously old now so any bugs have been worked out ages ago.

The key takeaway though is that scores are down for everyone, Honda, Toyota, etc.

I recall reading an article a while back about how even Honda officially changed its quality policy. "Scratch and dent" parts that previously would have been rejected were now officially to be used on the brand new vehicles anyway due to shortages as long as it worked. So even if the box of wire harnesses got kicked down the street by UPS before arriving at the factory, if Honda tested it and it showed no errors, they would duck tape it on anyway.
Changing industry for sure.

I've always wondered about if the demographic of each brand's customers affected the quality rankings, or they were somehow factored out. My contemporaries (Buick buyers maybe?) may not be as critical as say, a Honda customer. I'm usually thrilled just to be able to swing my legs in the truck, who cares about bluetooth :)?

Cheers.
Sponsored