Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Announced at: https://northamericancaroftheyear.org/2022-nactoy-semifinalists/

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick will battle 5 other semifinalists for North American Truck of the Year {filename}

NACTOY Names 23 Semifinalists for 2022 Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year Awards™

Eight cars, six trucks and nine utility vehicles will vie for awards

PONTIAC
, September 21, 2021 – The North American Car, Truck and Utility Vehicle of the Year™ (NACTOY) Awards organization announced its list of semifinalists today at the inaugural Motor Bella event at M1 Concourse in Pontiac.

This year, 23 new vehicles made the list of semifinalists for the 2022 awards following a vote of the organization’s jurors. The list includes eight cars, six trucks and nine utility vehicles that are all new or substantially new and are or will be on sale in showrooms across North America this year. The semifinalists were voted in from an initial list of 36 eligible cars, trucks and utility vehicles announced earlier this year.

“This year’s group of semifinalists includes some of the most interesting and innovative cars, trucks and utility vehicle candidates in recent memory,” said NACTOY President Gary Witzenburg, “and a larger number of new trucks than we’ve seen in many years. And it features more electric vehicles than we’ve ever seen, all of which our jurors will continue to test and evaluate prior to our next vote.”

NACTOY’s awards are unique because they are not decided by a single publication. Instead, they are evaluated throughout the year by 50 respected jurors from print, online, radio and broadcast media across the U.S. and Canada. Those jurors vote three times during the year to reduce the list of eligible vehicles down to semifinalists, finalists and, finally, winners.

“I would also like to thank Rod Alberts, executive director of the Detroit Auto Dealers Association, for the opportunity to announce our semifinalists here today at Motor Bella,” Witzenburg said. “We traditionally announce our winners at the Detroit auto show in January, and it is thrilling to kick off our core evaluation period here today at this all-new event.”

The next step in the process is an annual comparison drive that will take place Oct. 18-21, where jurors will evaluate the semifinalist vehicles before voting to select the three finalists in each group. The finalists will be announced at the LA Auto Show on November 17, and winners will be announced in January 2022 during an event hosted by the Detroit Auto Dealers Association in Detroit.

Here is the full list of our 2022 Semifinalists:

North American Car of the Year™
Audi A3
Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
Genesis G70
Honda Civic
Lucid Air
Mercedes-Benz EQS
Mercedes-Benz S-Class
Volkswagen Golf Mk VIII (Golf R/Golf GTI)

North American Truck of the Year™
Ford Maverick
GMC HUMMER EV
Hyundai Santa Cruz
Nissan Frontier
Rivian R1T
Toyota Tundra

North American Utility Vehicle of the Year™
Ford Bronco
Genesis GV70
Hyundai IONIQ 5
Hyundai Tucson (HEV/ICE/PHEV)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (ICE, PHEV, L)
Jeep Wagoneer/Grand Wagoneer
Kia Carnival
Nissan Pathfinder
VW ID.4
Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hopefully they can make enough so the testers will have a hybrid. Without the hybrid, the maverick will be good, but not game-changing. (seeing how Santa Cruz is also a semi-finalist.)

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From what I've read, the Rivian should win that category hands down. Apparently it really is fantastic.
Yeah. And the Ioniq 5 in the utility category will be hard to beat.

slashy42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Clearly the Santa Cruz is in the wrong list. Hyundai has said it is a sports adventure vehicle, not a truck.

Sponsored

Bret Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
From what I've read, the Rivian should win that category hands down. Apparently it really is fantastic.
It ought to be starting at over 67K!

BigDinTX

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pilot (ex wife's, not my choice)
They need another category. Why would you lump in the Maverick with the "big boys"... unless it's too good for that "title" of 'trucklette'... let the discussions begin!! :D

North American Trucklette of the Year™

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Rivian R1T" is a pipe dream.
There is no way they are mass producing these E trucks. They were probably entered to erk Tesla.
I sat in one in CES 2020 a beautiful truck. But in no way in the same category as the others its next too.

FortyFiveNorthoods

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on if they consider value as part of the category. You can get 3 Mavericks (or 2 maxed out Lariat) for the price of one decently spec R1T.

Sponsored

V2WIN

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
"Rivian R1T" is a pipe dream.
There is no way they are mass producing these E trucks. They were probably entered to erk Tesla.
I sat in one in CES 2020 a beautiful truck. But in no way in the same category as the others its next too.
I have family working there & the line is running. With 100k amazon orders they don't need to sell tons of them to the public. BTW their test mules all had F150 bodies.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why is the lightning not on this list? It should actually be the first mass produced electric truck....

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Depends on if they consider value as part of the category. You can get 3 Mavericks (or 2 maxed out Lariat) for the price of one decently spec R1T.
From what I saw glancing over previous winners, they seem to favor capability (F-150, RAM trucks) and novel designs (Jeep Gladiator). I think the Rivian has a good mix of both, plus its an EV which is undoubtedly the hot thing now.

BILLNOROVILLE

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prius, Hybrid XLT, Honda 1100Rebel, 2) Hawk 650NT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Ford Lightning is a 2022 year model. None delivered to customers in 2021. Probably be truck of the year next year
Sponsored