Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 4K tow package offers a trans cooler and 7 pin wiring as the only difference from the FX4 package. Ford is double dipping on the option packages. While I’d like to have the 4K rating, I don’t plan to tow that much weight with it unless I part with my Ram at some point. Unless towing extended distances, no reason the FX4 won’t do the job If not heating up the trans.
4k tow package also has brake controller, larger radiator and cooling fan, upgraded drive ratio...
Sponsored

DavidS

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Forte
The 4K tow package offers a trans cooler and 7 pin wiring as the only difference from the FX4 package. Ford is double dipping on the option packages. While I’d like to have the 4K rating, I don’t plan to tow that much weight with it unless I part with my Ram at some point. Unless towing extended distances, no reason the FX4 won’t do the job If not heating up the trans.
No. The 4K towing package includes a 3.81 axle ratio and a built in brake controller. If you're towing more than 1,500 pounds, you'll probably want to spend the extra $745 for that.

douglas685

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick XL ordered, currently Honda Ridgeline
Interesting thought, per the words of Jeremy Clarkson I went on the internet and I found this:

6' X 14' All aluminum Utility Trailer with 3500lb axle - SLE Equipment

Big trailer, but with a very low weight of only 700lbs since it's all aluminum. If you're a fleet operator, you could pick up this trailer, a base hybrid with tow kit for $19,990 +$100 (or whatever it is after destination and whatnot) and still be able to haul around 1,300lbs on the trailer with a very large area to do it. Obviously "frontal area" needs to be figured in, but the big advantage I see vs traditional truck/fleet vehicles could be MPG. Maybe 20-25mpg possible combined WHILE towing. That could be huge savings for companies.

And for average joes, this could also be very useful as it would allow even the base hybrid to pull very large loads like 2-3 ATV's, a couple Harley's, move your buddy out (or yourself), etc.

And obviously, much more capacity with the non-hybrid tow pack.

danielmartinez20

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Is it me or does the 400lb max tongue seem low for a 4klb max tow capacity?

I believe tongue weight of a trailer is usually about 15% of total weight.

spyderman01

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So please excuse my ignorance, but in the above towing guide it says includes 150lb driver and passenger. I've heard that the GVRW/GCWR you do not need to account for the driver, but this is the first time I've seen the passenger included as well. Am I reading that correct?

Sponsored

kes

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick 2022
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Question on GCWR, how close can you get to the limit? Do you need to leave a reasonable % from the max (as is so often that case in most mechanical limits)? Ultimately this will dictate the size of camper trailer I am able to get.

I have reserved the Lariat 2.0L eco boost with the 4K tow package, so I guess that gives me a GCWR of 8145lbs from the table above? Doing some quick math here that would be:

8145 - (people + luggage +truck weight (3731lbs)) = Max trailer weight

=> 4414- (people + luggage) = Max trailer weight

Already we can see we have to sacrifice a lot of max 1500lb luggage space in order to maintain the 4K tow max trailer weight. Lets say for argument that:

luggage + people = 1000lbs

Which leaves:

4414 - 1000 = Max trailer weight = 3414lbs

How close can I realistically get to 3414lbs in trailer weight? I'm assuming I need to give some margin here? So, would it be realistic with all the other numbers above to attempt to pull a trailer that comes in at 3000lbs?

Assuming my values are all correct then this entire post can be simplified to how close to the 8145lb GCWR weight limit can we get?

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want to be sure I have this understood correctly:

GCWR = Vehicle weight + Payload and Cargo Weight + Total Towing Weight + Occupant(s) Weight.

I'm more interested in how many people I can take with me if the bed if fully loaded (1500-lbs payload). So this is what I've calculated:
  • 2.5L Hybrid FWD: 836-lbs available for people
  • 2.0L Ecoboost FWD: 837-lbs available for people
  • 2.0L Ecoboost AWD: 914-lbs available for people
  • 2.0L Ecoboost FWD w/ Tow Package: 2,837 available for people
  • 2.0L Ecoboost AWD w/ Tow Package: 2,914-lbs available for people

the 1500 payload includes passangers.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting thought, per the words of Jeremy Clarkson I went on the internet and I found this:

6' X 14' All aluminum Utility Trailer with 3500lb axle - SLE Equipment

Big trailer, but with a very low weight of only 700lbs since it's all aluminum. If you're a fleet operator, you could pick up this trailer, a base hybrid with tow kit for $19,990 +$100 (or whatever it is after destination and whatnot) and still be able to haul around 1,300lbs on the trailer with a very large area to do it. Obviously "frontal area" needs to be figured in, but the big advantage I see vs traditional truck/fleet vehicles could be MPG. Maybe 20-25mpg possible combined WHILE towing. That could be huge savings for companies.

And for average joes, this could also be very useful as it would allow even the base hybrid to pull very large loads like 2-3 ATV's, a couple Harley's, move your buddy out (or yourself), etc.

And obviously, much more capacity with the non-hybrid tow pack.

not so sure I would trust the longevity of a utility trailer made with aluminum.

Sponsored

Westsidetruck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord Hybrid
the 1500 payload includes passangers.
This is an interesting issue. From what I have heard, the Santa Cruz has a payload capacity of 1750, but no more than 600 in the bed. So that claim of 1750 is misleading. On the other end, the Maverick can take a full 1500 lb load in the bed, or thereabout, but if you do it, it can only be 300lbs in the truck?

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ok, I'm having trouble figuring this out I order a XLT hybrid lux package. I have a 1,450lb(dry weigh) pop-up camper, 4 people(let's say 800lb) going camping, with(let's say 600lb of gear). Will I be ok? Or will I need a AWD Ecoboost. The numbers are making my head go 😵💫

A Dodge that drives Fords

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Taurus Ford Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you'd be over the GCWR by about 550lbs there.
That's what I was afraid of will have to call my dealer and see if I can still switch to the EcoBoost all-wheel drive 😕
Sponsored