mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
1. name a global company that gives real time updates on its manufacturing processes on new products for the general public (does Apple do that for example?).

2. If Ford was truly deficient/negligent in new product launches as you insinuate, how have they led the industry in new truck sales for the last 4+ decades?

reality is *potential* customers are informed on a "need to know" basis, not WANT to know, in situations like this :rolleyes:
I agree with your other points but as for #1, BMW’s system is probably the most sophisticated. It gives updates on every part of the manufacturing process like when it’s being painted, final assembly, etc, and they allow you to pick up from the factory for cars made in Germany (they may have ended this program with COVID). I’ve heard Tesla’s is decent at giving real time updates but their estimates are always way off. Anyway it can be done and I’ve named at least one. As for whether Ford needs to do the same, I guess not but it’d be nice to have for sure.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with your other points but as for #1, BMW’s system is probably the most sophisticated. It gives updates on every part of the manufacturing process like when it’s being painted, final assembly, etc, and they allow you to pick up from the factory for cars made in Germany (they may have ended this program with COVID). I’ve heard Tesla’s is decent at giving real time updates but their estimates are always way off. Anyway it can be done and I’ve named at least one. As for whether Ford needs to do the same, I guess not but it’d be nice to have for sure.
(y) Good info. So, does BMW do this with brand new products that aren't even shipping to customers or dealers yet? That was where the friction was in the original discussion- another poster felt Ford wasn't releasing enough specific information to the general public on what was going on internally with the production process on the Mav and leading to "confusion" among people interested in maybe buying the new truck. That is a little different than updating individuals as their actual vehicle is being built and moving towards delivery.

balucipher

First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 Tesla Model Y
Tesla didn't give me any info

Went from delivery in 4-7 weeks to delivery in 2 weeks to delivery in 4-6 weeks to a text saying "your Vin is ready please buy insurance" to "can you pick up on Friday"

Porsche is cool now because they send you a picture of the car somewhere along the assembly process just after paint

Monte

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKZ
Future pricing/supply strategy from Ford:

Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley said the automaker was intent on shifting away from making vehicles that wind up stockpiled on dealer lots, to building them to customer orders, reducing discounts required to make a sale.

“We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days’ supply,” Farley said.

Sponsored

Timsvtgen1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Future pricing/supply strategy from Ford:

Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley said the automaker was intent on shifting away from making vehicles that wind up stockpiled on dealer lots, to building them to customer orders, reducing discounts required to make a sale.

“We are really committed to going to an order-based system and keeping inventories at 50 to 60 days’ supply,” Farley said.
Great, if they - in a matter of a couple weeks get your vehicle from order to delivery. Also, wouldn't this really depend on what Ford's competitors do? I mean, if Chevy had a lot of well discounted well stocked trucks and Ford had low inventory lot with minimal discounts.... see where I'm going here?

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid