First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
pretty terrible look honestly. 17" is wayyy too small for an aftermarket rim for a wheel well that size.
If you care about ride comfort and performance, generally speaking you are best served by wheels barely big enough to clear the brake system.

The smaller diameter wheels allow more sidewall which acts as a secondary spring to absorb vibrations and road imperfections and protect the wheel. Wheels also represent not only unsprung weight, but rotational unsprung weight, the worst kind you can have. Smaller wheels tend to not only be lighter but they require less energy to spin up and down because the hub is closer to the axis of rotation, so effectively you are giving yourself improved braking performance and free horspower going lighter/smaller.

Especially for people buying a hybrid that doesn't have a massive surplus of power, a small lightweight wheel/tire package can result in a great improvement in overall performance and comfort.

austinzone

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you care about ride comfort and performance, generally speaking you are best served by wheels barely big enough to clear the brake system.

The smaller diameter wheels allow more sidewall which acts as a secondary spring to absorb vibrations and road imperfections and protect the wheel. Wheels also represent not only unsprung weight, but rotational unsprung weight, the worst kind you can have. Smaller wheels tend to not only be lighter but they require less energy to spin up and down because the hub is closer to the axis of rotation, so effectively you are giving yourself improved braking performance and free horspower going lighter/smaller.

Especially for people buying a hybrid that doesn't have a massive surplus of power, a small lightweight wheel/tire package can result in a great improvement in overall performance and comfort.
I know that - which is why many OEM wheels look decent at smaller sizes.

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Fitted With Aftermarket Wheels - 17" Motegi MR144 in Silver 2022-ford-maverick-exterior

AFTERMARKET WHEELS - many are designed to go with a smaller tire to create the look. Those lipped rims are an example of that.

I have a simply philosophy with auto modifications: Better than stock

The end result should be better than it was when you started - not equal to, not less than.

I think the OEM steelies look good - and better than those meshes.

Im really excited to see what people do with the Maverick - and I think we're going to see lots of good looks otw.

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Fitted With Aftermarket Wheels - 17" Motegi MR144 in Silver 2022_Ford_Maverick_ST_2

Not a believer that people post things on the internet to just have everyone agree with them. Its the discourse and opinions that help us tighten up our game.

The transformers movies are terrible - yet some people like them.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

+1 There are so many negative side-effects and little (if any) benefits outside of aesthetics. Big wheels do look nice, but I hate the current trend of throwing huge wheels and rubberband tires on most vehicles, and I'm a millenial.

Just another opinion, but I actually like those Motegi wheels, but not on a truck.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

While I agree with all of the above in context of the trucks we're talking about, the post suggests that there is NO reason for large diameter wheels and low profile tires. Not surprisingly, that's not the case.
The look comes from racing and high performance cars. Presumably if you want to lower your Mav and beef up the high speed handling, there may be good reason for larger wheels.
Large wheels are there largely (see what I did?) to clear the large brake rotors and calipers needed for repeated aggressive braking on the track. At the same time, the low profile tires result in a smaller "slip angle" (the difference between where the wheel is pointing and the angle of the tire contact patch when you're turning. This is because a shorter, stiffer sidewall doesn't distort as much. This reduced slip angle makes for a more predictable transition between understeer and oversteer, in turn making the vehicle easier to balance when drifting through high speed corners.
The reduced squirm from sidewall deflection also reduces heating of the tire, improving high speed durability.

So back to the OP, I think large wheels and low profile tires look silly on a lifted truck (it should have smaller wheels and high profile A/T tires). But it can look fine on a slammed sport truck, even though I'd never do that; I'd get a damned sports car instead.

To me the aesthetics work only if they're consistent with the usage of the vehicle or at least consistent with the overall design and configuration (whether the capabilities are used or not).

Probably nobody will read this entire post 😆

Sponsored

KenC

Banned
Banned
First Name
First
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck.
Umm….. hard pass for me. That doesn’t feel like an upgrade.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
While I agree with all of the above in context of the trucks we're talking about, the post suggests that there is NO reason for large diameter wheels and low profile tires. Not surprisingly, that's not the case.
True, less sidewall flex can improve tread life and turn in feel if the vehicle is capable of and would frequently see very high lateral G-forces, but still only to an extent.

For example, I checked out a Veloster N recently, and you can tell the extent of the rubber band setup they installed seems more oriented to having that racey aesthetic than anything, after all big brake kits don't always have to be bigger diameter, you can go thicker too since the brake is essentially a heat sink. Granted rules come into play, but even an F1 car does fine with their crazy lateral G's and constant extreme performance levels with tires that have quite a bit of sidewall.

Advancements in tire design help too with the better internal reinforcements. Usually the lower power to weight vehicles benefit the most from going with the smallest and lightest wheel possible, which even the Ecoboost would likely apply since its not quite at sports car levels of excessive power for its weight and traction.

One interesting question would be to know how much the stock wheels even weigh though!

Mmorri20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger, Maverick on order

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looking at these a 17x7.5 so they could be used with existing tires, and has a similar offset to stock. I am ordering an AWD model, but am thinking I want to drop it 2" and 2" found em on evilbay. Bolt pattern 5x4.25" is same as 5x108mm. They are available with centers in charcoal, silver, black, gold, and white. A color to match or contrast whatever exterior color you choose. I am going with carbonized grey myself, will likely choose the charcoal grey centers.

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Fitted With Aftermarket Wheels - 17" Motegi MR144 in Silver Screenshot_20211226-113743_eBay

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I decide to embrace the AWD with a 4x4 look, theres these in a 17x8. And they come in 5x108mm circle in the FWD offset. A set of more aggressive AT series 235 tires would look great with these on an AWD or FX4 model. Would prefer em in a gunmetal, or dull silver, but this is the only color you can get in this size and wheel pattern on these

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Fitted With Aftermarket Wheels - 17" Motegi MR144 in Silver Screenshot_20211226-123240_eBay

Last edited:
Sponsored

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also found these speed racer looking ones from MOMO as well if your into that blacked out racer look, and some similar ones from Voxx with a machined lip.

Really lots of wheel options out there, sky is the limit.

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Fitted With Aftermarket Wheels - 17" Motegi MR144 in Silver Screenshot_20211226-102941_eBay

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Fitted With Aftermarket Wheels - 17" Motegi MR144 in Silver Screenshot_20211226-100235_eBay

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
I really like that Momo wheel....if it came in silver.
My Maverick has iconic silver paint, which I think (personal opinion here) looks best with a bright coloured wheel.
I'm a fan of black/charcoal coloured wheels on most paint colours, but not silver.
Here's what I presently thinking of purchasing this Spring when I mount my stock tires (18 x 225) on a new set of rims and keep the snows on the stock rims, which I dislike.
I also think a more substantial looking wheel looks better on a truck.

Ford Maverick 2022 Maverick Fitted With Aftermarket Wheels - 17" Motegi MR144 in Silver Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 4.55.49 PM

LE5CAV

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL: 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Romac

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Also found these speed racer looking ones from MOMO as well if your into that blacked out racer look, and some similar ones from Voxx with a machined lip.

Really lots of wheel options out there, sky is the limit.

Screenshot_20211226-102941_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20211226-100235_eBay.jpg
What would we need to make these fit? Hub rings? What kind?