First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
I've been driving a rental escape for the last few months which has been an amazing experience except for a loud 'clunk' from the rear differential when moving from a stop with the steering wheel turned.

This makes me question Ford's reliability, and a quick search through the internet shows it has been YEARS of AWD escapes experiencing differential clunks.

Does the maverick 2.0 use the same AWD system as the escape? Can anyone comment on similar issues?
Sponsored

alexcrg

First Name
alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
most likely , for the price I doubt theyre making expensive fixes or re engineering for that

Vulcan9988

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I've been driving a rental escape for the last few months which has been an amazing experience except for a loud 'clunk' from the rear differential when moving from a stop with the steering wheel turned.

This makes me question Ford's reliability, and a quick search through the internet shows it has been YEARS of AWD escapes experiencing differential clunks.

Does the maverick 2.0 use the same AWD system as the escape? Can anyone comment on similar issues?
Have the clunks in question caused any issues based on your serches? Is it just showing that they make noise?

deadeye

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Systems of several heavy metal rotating shafts, joints, gears, (and clutches engaging and disengaging secondary drive axles) do make noise. Especially when taking up all the slack in the system, like when you change directions of rotation (ie: shift from forward to reverse, reverse to forward).

Also, rentals get beat on hard, so they would probably have more wear and play in the driveline than any car you will ever own. Noises are not necessarily bad, just tells you how many micrometers of slack are in your system. Slack is required by design for assembly and function. Once all the slack is taken up (once you start moving), there should be no more noises until you stop or change directions to unwind all the slack again.

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

You can worry and I will just enjoy the Maverick. I have friends and co-workers with Escapes, 7 to be exact, and they have no clunks as a matter of fact they love them.Wife has an Edge with 2.0 Eco, runs awesome and has been a champ. Understanding that some vehicles have some less than perfect builds, yes even the high and mighty Toyota, overall the power train and tranny in the Maverick has been performing very well.

Sponsored

RGinFL

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like one or more of the drive axles? I am not sure about the Ford but my Audi made that fatal clunk when turning a corner. The drive axles were beat and had to be replaced. It had a lot of miles (200K) so they were shot. That Audi still runs great with 325K on it - almost time for new drive axles!

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Its the rear posi-unit engaging..... LMFAO :LOL:

We could only wish.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If you're worried, get the hybrid. Its the most bullet proof transmission design there is, and rear AWD differential can't break if it doesn't exist. Alex explains:

The hybrid is also a atkinson engine with port fuel injection so low stressed and will be kept cleaner than the direct injection ecoboost that eventually you'll need to get serviced to remove carbon buildup.
Sponsored