2003 Ranger vs. 2022 Maverick by Truck King

Deacon Blues

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Fit, 1997 F150
I owned a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 super cab, with the 4.0 litre engine, for 13 years.
The truck was very reliable, which probably influenced me when I purchased my Maverick. (we'll see how that pans out).
I liked my 2000 Ranger, but I didn't love it. I'm a 'car guy' but to me the Ranger was an appliance. It did what it was built to do, but no more. It wasn't fun to drive, which was fine for me, because I had other more sporty vehicles (like a V8 powered Mazda Miata) to drive.
The Maverick is completely different.
It has lots of power, handles fairly well, is quiet on the highway, and very comfortable to drive.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can't stand to watch these guys. I'm always like "why is he yelling?"

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I had a 92 Ranger 4.0 5 speed 2wd with 8.8 lsd. It was the last year of the lighter smaller body and the first of the 4.0. That thing could peel rubber in 1st through 3rd at speed. It was short bed, regular cab and yeah it was tight for 300lb 6ft tall guy who lifted alot(back then lol). It was a hell of a truck. Mechanically never gave me an issue aside from wanting to open the heater core valve (not the blower)in traffic on the hottest summer days the last year I had it. In winter time on the back highways I went through 10" of snow on the road, just trucking through the ruts. It hauled atvs, dump runs, scrap metal. It towed my jeeps and a full sized bronco a few times when I broke em wheeling.

I loved that lil ranger. It was so trouble free for 25 years old. The most I ever did was change the plugs once, just because.

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like these Canucks. Never seen them before their Maverick videos. Just your every day guys. You just expect John Candy and Eugene Levy to come around the corner and it turn into some sketch comedy. You know they are off to Mary Brown's Chicken drive thru after each video shoot.

Emmmm, Mary Brown's Chicken. *drool*

Ford Maverick 2003 Ranger vs. 2022 Maverick by Truck King {filename}

Sponsored

Area51BS

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What does comparing them really prove? Not like you can go to the dealer and buy a new old stock Ranger.

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like these Canucks. Never seen them before their Maverick videos. Just your every day guys. You just expect John Candy and Eugene Levy to come around the corner and it turn into some sketch comedy. You know they are off to Mary Brown's Chicken drive thru after each video shoot.

Emmmm, Mary Brown's Chicken. *drool*
You checked off a lot of solid Canadian references in thatā€¦ youā€™re only missing maybe some maple syrup and a Mountie. šŸ˜„

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You checked off a lot of solid Canadian references in thatā€¦ youā€™re only missing maybe some maple syrup and a Mountie. šŸ˜„
And perhaps poutine, Gordie Howe and Timmies?

I live only 35 miles from Canada. I go to BC frequently. We even get Canadian TV channels on our local cable. I love watching Family Feud Canada with Gerry D. Good stuff.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Disagree with the guy saying that the ranger's 40 inch wide six foot bed is more useful than the Maverick's wider 4.5 foot bed. They're basically the same area and I think the extra width is more functional.

Sponsored

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Engine
Undecided
What does comparing them really prove? Not like you can go to the dealer and buy a new old stock Ranger.
They mentioned at the beginning of the video that a lot of their viewers were asking for the comparison. So it might not have been something they were really interested in doing but because so many people were asking for it they decided to do it.

Over all it was a good video. A lot of the differences between the two are just differences of the time when they were built.

olderbudwiser

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lincoln Corsair, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After numerous visits to Yellowknife, NWT and Thompson, Manitoba. He's not wrong ;)

Macjr67

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC40 RDesign,Toyota Tacoma TRD OR, 21 Bronco
Great post! My girlfriend likes the Maverick due to fond memories of her older uncles Ranger, small in stature but a handy reliable little truck.
as for all these Canadian references I love it and miss the ease of hopping over to Canada in a short drive to visit friends there, all of its great people, fun towns/citiesā€¦
They are still in a hybrid lockdown of sorts but fingers crossed šŸ¤žšŸ» Iā€™ll be over there in later February for a few days as I want to show my beautiful gf the great cities of Ottawa and Kingston and then a night in Montebello QCā€¦
- to all our Canadian friends on here if you see either a cactus Grey Mav or a Bronco w ny tags it may be me!!
Iā€™ll be cranking Tragically Hip ā¤, get a double double from Timmies while we look for a good poutine stand off the main road somewhere šŸ¤£

Naranjita

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
NAH-RON-EE-TAH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great post! My girlfriend likes the Maverick due to fond memories of her older uncles Ranger, small in stature but a handy reliable little truck.
as for all these Canadian references I love it and miss the ease of hopping over to Canada in a short drive to visit friends there, all of its great people, fun towns/citiesā€¦
They are still in a hybrid lockdown of sorts but fingers crossed šŸ¤žšŸ» Iā€™ll be over there in later February for a few days as I want to show my beautiful gf the great cities of Ottawa and Kingston and then a night in Montebello QCā€¦
- to all our Canadian friends on here if you see either a cactus Grey Mav or a Bronco w ny tags it may be me!!
Iā€™ll be cranking Tragically Hip ā¤, get a double double from Timmies while we look for a good poutine stand off the main road somewhere šŸ¤£
I miss Canada. Trudeau, please let me come back soon! I sure hope we're near the end of COVID. I really miss the Noodle Shop at the New Westminster SkyTrain station and Presidents Choice Mac N Cheese. I actually miss a lot of Canadian grocery products. I would do about 4-5 grocery runs a year.

Can't wait to bring my Maverick across the border and do a Mary Brown's Chicken run!

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
After numerous visits to Yellowknife, NWT and Thompson, Manitoba. He's not wrong ;)
Ahem.

Well, that's kind of the idea, and it's got a Canadian team but I think that only three of the eight players in the picture are actually from Canada.

Ford Maverick 2003 Ranger vs. 2022 Maverick by Truck King 1644295428103
Sponsored