David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT, 2014 MX5 Club
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Just to show that Ford dealers aren't the only ones screwing customers, the local Honda dealer wanted $2,400 for a spray wax and $200 for a set of locking lug nut for the new Accord for my wife. I said not just no, but hell no. The dealer said if I bought the car now, that they would discount the wax job to $995. I was like WTF? NO. They would not sell me the car unless I bought the $995 spray wax job and the $200 lug nuts with the car. I called their parts department while sitting in the hot seat - they would sell me the lug nuts for $58 + tax. I walked.
Sponsored

JBryant

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks like Honda has been watching the threads on this site, or has friends at Ford. I would have probably told them to was the lug nuts. It would make them easier going down, or up, depending which way I told them to cram them.

New2AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX Hatchback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I walked from one of our local Honda dealers too. Moments after gloating about being the "top Honda dealer in Arizona" and not having to deal with supply issues (or at least not nearly as badly as other dealers) they presented me with a $7000 ADM on a new CRV hybrid. This is on top of the $2000 "desert protection package" that's is mandatory.
I told them, I love the car but your markups are bullshit and straight up greed.
Salesman was good all along but the manager, or whatever he claimed to be, was pure sleaze.

Sponsored

Joseaoe1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT 2.0 4K VB, 2022 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That’s criminal. I would rather dealers be honest up front and just state market adjustment. Maybe this is a game they play to hide adjustments from corporate but it’s a dirty game. I had the dealer add a hundred dollars for some thin clear vinyl door edge protectors but given I was very happy with the overall deal including trade in I just laughed about it and told them they needed to tip the detailing guy.

Tirpitz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid+Lux in Velocity Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sometimes you just have to walk out. Last Honda I bought I gave my local dealer a shot. They sent me a price via email what was close to what I was getting quoted elsewhere. So I went in to do the deal. When I got there they wouldn't honor the price and starting trying to play the four square game with me. I got up, walked out and bought at another dealer who honored their quoted price.

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When we bought my wife's 2018 Fusion, we had previously looked at a 2017 Fusion SE that she liked. When we started to do the purchase paperwork on that one, the sales rep told us he had to add $1K to the deal because our 2011 Fusion SEL trade wasn't one they wanted to keep on their lot.

So we walked and ended up driving 70 miles to a dealer in CT that had the 2018 Titanium with only 10K miles on it. I called ahead on that one and the sales manager told me he'd left it home that day but would go and get it if we were definitely coming to see it. He did, we did, and we ended up with a Fusion that had an original MSRP of $45K for $25K, which was only $3K more than the other dealer had wanted for a 2017 with 19K miles.

There are good dealers out there. The manufacturers should make them a lot less hard to find.

22RolloverClub

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek, 2019 VW Jetta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sometimes you just have to walk out. Last Honda I bought I gave my local dealer a shot. They sent me a price via email what was close to what I was getting quoted elsewhere. So I went in to do the deal. When I got there they wouldn't honor the price and starting trying to play the four square game with me. I got up, walked out and bought at another dealer who honored their quoted price.
The last time I went car shopping the salesman went on the test drive with us. I jokingly told him that if he wants to secretly sell the car to someone else all he has to do is draw a 4-square. He didn't insult us with his little boxes.
Sponsored