2.0 ecoboost traction control/sport mode questions

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 GT 350, 60 VW, 34 pickup and porsches....
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have raced sports cars most of my adult life and am i driving instructor at porsche club high performance driver education events.
with nasty weather in the forecast this weekend i may take my maverick to this weekends event instead of my trusty 66 shelby that i love and track now, mostly because my heater blower motor is broken. (if i do i will try to get video but will definitely run a lap timer for comparison to other vehicles)
my question is this. thinking ahead i played with the traction control button and the sport mode setting for the first time today.
i noticed i cant disable traction control if i select sport mode. it automatically turns off.
i'm not going to test this on public roads so looking for info before i take it on a track.
has anyone fooled with these settings? if sport mode is engaged is traction control automatically disabled?
prior experience with fords in a 2013 boss 302 and a 2016 mustang GT proved the only way you can drive on a racetrack was with all traction control disabled as it is way to intrusive, even in the pouring rain.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have yet to own a car with traction control, hopefully soon, so I cant really help you but I want to urge you to get that Mav on the track. I think these will have a fairly low center on gravity and models with the 4k tow package should have stiff enough springs to keep it flat as can in turns. I would love to see a Maverick vs first gen(or even 2nd) F150 Lighting on lap times. Could be interesting.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have raced sports cars most of my adult life and am i driving instructor at porsche club high performance driver education events.
with nasty weather in the forecast this weekend i may take my maverick to this weekends event instead of my trusty 66 shelby that i love and track now, mostly because my heater blower motor is broken. (if i do i will try to get video but will definitely run a lap timer for comparison to other vehicles)
my question is this. thinking ahead i played with the traction control button and the sport mode setting for the first time today.
i noticed i cant disable traction control if i select sport mode. it automatically turns off.
i'm not going to test this on public roads so looking for info before i take it on a track.
has anyone fooled with these settings? if sport mode is engaged is traction control automatically disabled?
prior experience with fords in a 2013 boss 302 and a 2016 mustang GT proved the only way you can drive on a racetrack was with all traction control disabled as it is way to intrusive, even in the pouring rain.
Planning any prep for the track? Pads and fluid?

OP
OP
catinthebathtub

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Planning any prep for the track? Pads and fluid?
i should but it only has 1k miles on it. except new porsche with pdk i have never tracked an automatic and don’t think i’ll be hard on it, especially with the stock speed limiter i’ll guess i hit twice a lap. msr houston is the track and it’s not a very challenging circuit.

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i should but it only has 1k miles on it. except new porsche with pdk i have never tracked an automatic and don’t think i’ll be hard on it, especially with the stock speed limiter i’ll guess i hit twice a lap. msr houston is the track and it’s not a very challenging circuit.
Haha! Be sure to report back how things hold up! I’d be dropping in some rbf660 at the least lol!

Sponsored

OP
OP
catinthebathtub

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’d be dropping in some rbf660 at the least lol!
I usually would switch to motul (i have plenty on the shelf) if i was taking it serious but i only expect to do a couple of laps and the novelty will quickly subside. mind you i'm going as an instructor so i don't have the out of pocket expense of entry fee and this track is only an hour from home.
if i was going to COTA instead, i wouldn't consider turning a lap in the maverick!

cinquecentonero

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes Sport mode will cancel TC

cinquecentonero

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It sounds funny but I would like to join or start a Maverick Race Club. Go to Lime Rock or Palmer and wring them out. I am looking into lowering the stance and putting sticky rubber on this summer. I know tunes are inbound for the 2.0T soon.

OP
OP
catinthebathtub

catinthebathtub

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
haas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It sounds funny but I would like to join or start a Maverick Race Club. Go to Lime Rock or Palmer and wring them out. I am looking into lowering the stance and putting sticky rubber on this summer. I know tunes are inbound for the 2.0T soon.
i'm a track guy. i have a track car. but my maverick will eventually turn a few track laps.
my only track plans are what i plan for street use as my daily driver.
eibach springs [USER=3750]@MAC_Detail and either direzzas or indy500's. looking at 235/50-18 so far but waiting on the springs first.

Last edited:

Bn1970

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford-2L/250hp, Honda-1.5L/190hp, Mazda-1.6L/270hp.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
-dont think Sport mode turns off T/C.
-T/C can be turned off via central panel button.
-Sport mode has serious shift algorithms, very well suited to a road race circuit.
-I think this truck, in the hands of a competent driver, will shock some of the wine/cheese types on the track. It rotates like an excited puppy following bacon.
-there must be a fuse for ESC disable.
-please update after event. I'm having silly thoughts of tracking the tow vehicle during rain days.
Sponsored