Sponsored

1st oil change, competed at Ford Dealership and I have a question . . .

WNYEscapee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick, 2019 Cherokee
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I follow guy on TikTok who

I follow guy on TikTok he swears by Penn platinum - I was long user of mobil
1. He does all of he testing that proves Penn is one of the best. I switched over to it myself. His test shows amsoil, purple and few others are good as well. Additive packages in them.
I watched YT video where they tested all the major oils, and some minor ones too, like from club stores and the Penn Platinum wasn't the best, but second, and is more easily acquired. Some of the big names were actually quite poor when the results came in. Sure, they did their job, but not equally at both extremes, and the additive packages weren't as good either.
My concern is making sure the standards of the oil I choose meet or exceed that which is required. No manufacturer can blame you if you exceed their standards.
Sponsored

Skeeter163

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Whether a Blend or Full Syn doesn't matter much any more. Not an issue in 2023.

Technically, to preserve warranty:
The only thing that matters on an oil jug or bottle you buy are these WSS numbers printed there:
Ford WSS-M2C962-A1 (0w-20 for the Hybrid only)
Ford WSS-M2C961-A1 (5w-30 for Ecoboost only)
Ford WSS-M2C963-A1 (0w-30, Ecoboost only when you might start it at below -10F)

Or, if it says Ford Motorcraft oil, in the right weight you need, you don't need to think about any WSS spec (usually). That's the house brand after all.
Sure a dealership needs to make sure they don't put in an LSPI-prone oil in an Ecoboost turbo DI engine, but these days that problem doesn't really exist anymore with SN+ or SP ILSAC/API oil, ANY brand.
Does the manual say when to change the first time?Or should you wait for the oil monitor to tell you?someone said it has a break-in oil in it

Last edited:

MaverickTopGun

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Quagmire
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Does the manual say when to change the first time?Or should you wait for the oil monitor to tell you?someone said it has a break-in oil in it
Manual says to change in 1 year or when the Oil Change Reminder warning comes on, whichever occurs first. Actually, the engine's computer "should" keep track of time, so it respects 1 year too.

As for changing the oil early for it's first time, yes, you probably should, but the manual doesn't mention it. I've noticed around 45 ppm iron-dust typical buildup in a new engine vs. the usual 15 ppm in a broken-in engine (oil sample analysis elemental spectrographic results).

They don't use special break-in oil at the factory. Many times they put a leak detection dye in there, but no special amounts of extra ZDDP and/or moly.

BobR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux FWD, Maverick XLT AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Use full synthetic. A synthetic blend only has to have 1% synthetic in it to be called a "blend".
Between both my Mavericks I have about 30k miles. I run Mobil 1 and change at least every 5k and the oil always comes out very dark and dirty when I change it. I think that between the Florida heat, the turbo and the GDI these engines run pretty dirty. I also put the module on both of them to keep the auto shut down from shutting down the engine at stoplights. You don't want to interrupt oil flow to those turbos while hot and coke oil on those bearings.
CRC makes a product called "Intake Valve and Turbo cleaner" that I am using every 10k miles to remove the carbon on the intake valves that is so prevalent on GDI engines.
I usually use it about 100 miles before an oil change that way any carbon that is cleaned gets taken out of the lubrication system with the dirty oil.

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had my first oil change completed at my local Ford dealership in my 2022 2.0l EcoBoost today.

They used Motorcraft CXO5W30BSP oil and Motorcraft FL910S filter, $88.05 out the door.

The oil used is a synthetic blend, recommended by Ford for the 2022 2.0l EcoBoost.
What is the consensus here? Stick with the blend or go full synthetic next time?

Thanks in advance,

Joe
I am a fan on full synthetic for turbo engines and especially with DI. Just as important, if not more so is interval. I think Ford is a little optimistic on their interval and would suggest 5-6K.

Sponsored

James K

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Use full synthetic. A synthetic blend only has to have 1% synthetic in it to be called a "blend".
Between both my Mavericks I have about 30k miles. I run Mobil 1 and change at least every 5k and the oil always comes out very dark and dirty when I change it. I think that between the Florida heat, the turbo and the GDI these engines run pretty dirty. I also put the module on both of them to keep the auto shut down from shutting down the engine at stoplights. You don't want to interrupt oil flow to those turbos while hot and coke oil on those bearings.
CRC makes a product called "Intake Valve and Turbo cleaner" that I am using every 10k miles to remove the carbon on the intake valves that is so prevalent on GDI engines.
I usually use it about 100 miles before an oil change that way any carbon that is cleaned gets taken out of the lubrication system with the dirty oil.
Perfect response. I expect to see you on this site someday talking about your Maverick with 200K miles.

Exranger

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 EB FX4 4K Tow LAR LUX Area 51 RCVD 4/27/23
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

MOBILE ONE is what is put in all Porsches from Stuttgart, for a reason... It Is Free to P-cars, BUT it is great oil, however M! gets to put a sticker on the cars to recommend owners to keep using it. I'm a PCA race tech and many P-Car owners race their cars, a lot switch to Royal Purple or DRIVEN oil. My car has only seen M1 but I drive pace car and am not under so much pressure.
Mercedes too, has a Mobil one sticker under the hood

BobR

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux FWD, Maverick XLT AWD FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Perfect response. I expect to see you on this site someday talking about your Maverick with 200K miles.
That's the plan James. I am just speaking from years of experience. I have been turning wrenches and restoring vehicles for 53 years and have owned 452 (148 were motorcycles). I have my own fully equipped shop here at my house and this formula has always worked for me.
When I was young there was a commercial for Castrol and the mechanic said "you can pay me now or pay me later". Maintenance is always cheaper than repairs.
Ford Maverick 1st oil change, competed at Ford Dealership and I have a question . . . IMG_20150321_132016524_HDR

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out all the oil testing videos for YouTube ford tech fordbossme. He has shown the best oil out there is Pennzoil and he didn’t have good testing for Mobil 1.

Moon

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram. Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did my own change on Saturday.
Always have used Motorcraft on everything I have owned (ALL Fords)
5w30, this time.
I had less the 2000 miles (odometer read: 1933) and plan on changing it at the next 2000.
I will be keeping an eye on the oil's color and texture for the next few changes...

Jerry
This seems like total overkill to me. At this rate the piston rings will never get seated. To each his own.

Moon

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram. Toyota Rav4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Check out all the oil testing videos for YouTube ford tech fordbossme. He has shown the best oil out there is Pennzoil and he didn’t have good testing for Mobil 1.
Pennzoil use to run a commercial that said it was 100 percent natural gas. I thought natural gas was air, how do they convert it to liquid? Just wandering.
Sponsored