Sponsored

19inch Type 71 Rims opinions and what tires?

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have an opportunity to pick up these rims, but I am concerned they are going to be more of an on-road style rim limiting tires. Tire Rack size program says to run 235/55R19, any suggestions on other sizes that would fit?

And what do you think about the look of them on the Maverick?

Ford Maverick 19inch Type 71 Rims opinions and what tires? TYPE 71 19.JPG
Sponsored

Adospeed

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid in Shadow Black
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2 cents: To me it seems to be counterintuitive to be putting 18's or 19's on a FX4 Mav. You'll want more tire sidewall if you are going to actually take it off-road. Also, I think it goes to what type of "look" you want on the Mav, off-road or street. BTW, 19 inch tires are likely gonna be more expensive that 17,18, or 20 diameter tires. It's just not a very common size.
Those wheels are nice. Ultimately, its your truck, make it look good cause you like it. (y)

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You have a valid request about tires and rims. I've had some thoughts about what I might do if I get my Maverick delivered.

I have seen 245x65x17 tires installed on the original suspension with just a quarter inch clearance...probably need a lift kit for them in all honesty for off road and inclement weather use.

For most the manufactured recommendation probably best.

Though, I do have a nice set of 2003 Taurus rims x16 inch that meet the Maverick spec for offset and bolt pattern that I'm thinking will work for snow tires. With a higher tire profile it would meet the spec for diameter. For the cost of nothing on my part, it will be interesting to see how ride and handling will be affected...Rollover with higher/larger sidewall tires could be a concern but might be ok with this lower profile Maverick..anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Though, I do have a nice set of 2003 Taurus rims x16 inch that meet the Maverick spec for offset and bolt pattern that I'm thinking will work for snow tires.
If they're 16" aluminum wheels they may not clear the brakes.

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Sponsored

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I'd discourage you from 19's simply because tire selection, availability and price are MUCH different than 18's or 20's.

That said, I bought a VERY specific 19" design for my Maverick because there aren't many around and they're only made in 19's. I'll deal with the tire selection to get the wheels I want, but I'm kind of a wheel/tire geek.

Use tirecalc.com and play with tire sizes in 18, 19 and 20 then look at pricing. Although there are quite a few cars that came from the factory equipped with 19's they're still "unusual."

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
They look sharp...kinda remind me of the optional 18 inch wheels available for the Hybrid...

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
well...you asked.

I agree that offroad use demands more sidewall so 19" wheels don't make sense. Maybe you don't care about offroad use, but aesthetically, you have an FX4 and the wheel/tire combo should align.

Lastly, that flower petal design is....not working. Sorry.

FirstFord

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just realized that you may not have FX4. That's the graphic that TireRack uses for any Mav.

Still, the flower petal thing...

Must also admit that I'm strongly biased against machined face wheels. I think they're too fussy. I think that wheels shouldn't blend in (black on black), but they should also not suck your eyeballs in. I'm a guy who put black wheels on a white Jetta. Yet I think that painted/machined wheels pull focus away from the whole. Don't like them.

OP
OP
93nighthawk

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just realized that you may not have FX4. That's the graphic that TireRack uses for any Mav.
Actually I do have a FX4 in Cyber Orange, so with those wheels, yes that is what my Maverick would look like if I got them.

Still, the flower petal thing...
Yeah, I could not get past the petal thing, so I passed on them.
Sponsored