Jukebox Nero

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Maverick Lariat Alto Blue FX4 4k 2.0 EB
With your response, are you referring to the B&O system?
Yes, the Lariat Lux has the Bang & Olufsen sound system. It is nice and clear sounding. One thing I forgot to mention was the fade/balance control. It was a nice single-point slider in the Sync3 where you can just move the focus to where you want in the truck. It moved the sound fairly smoothly to where I wanted it to be.
Sponsored

Maybe It's Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm happy to hear the adaptive CC works well. I've been holding out for a Lariat vs. the XLT based mainly on this option and was hoping it worked better than others I've tried.

WasChops

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Ltd + Maverick Lariat Hybr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, the Lariat Lux has the Bang & Olufsen sound system. It is nice and clear sounding. One thing I forgot to mention was the fade/balance control. It was a nice single-point slider in the Sync3 where you can just move the focus to where you want in the truck. It moved the sound fairly smoothly to where I wanted it to be.
Ok as I thought from your listed "Build" you would have the B&O... good to know the quality is acceptable... and how to work the fade/balance adjustments. Thanks so much!

WatchYourSix

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Bronco, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@Jukebox Nero Great write-up! I have an Alto Blue XLT Lux on order but I'm not 100% sure about Alto Blue. As someone else in this thread mentioned, it does appear black in some photos not in direct sunlight. I briefly saw a Bronco Sport in Alto Blue on a cloudy day and thought it was black at first. To be fair, colors can look very different depending on the shape and curves of a vehicle and how the light refracts. My questions to you are..

1. Do your pictures accurately reflect how it looks in person?
2. Do you think it will be hard to keep clean?
3. Are you concerned about swirl marks and orange peel?

OP
OP
Jukebox Nero

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Jukebox Nero Great write-up! I have an Alto Blue XLT Lux on order but I'm not 100% sure about Alto Blue. As someone else in this thread mentioned, it does appear black in some photos not in direct sunlight. I briefly saw a Bronco Sport in Alto Blue on a cloudy day and thought it was black at first. To be fair, colors can look very different depending on the shape and curves of a vehicle and how the light refracts. My questions to you are..

1. Do your pictures accurately reflect how it looks in person?
2. Do you think it will be hard to keep clean?
3. Are you concerned about swirl marks and orange peel?
Thanks for the questions. Yes, the color is pretty accurate to the photos I have taken. If it is dark and overcast, it almost looks black. Looking at the following 3 photos will give you a good idea, based on conditions:

Photo 1 - Sunny
Bright Sky Reflection RGB 49.4, 67.1, 83.1
Terrain Reflection RGB 17.6, 28.6, 36.9
Far Ground Reflection RGB 20.4, 23.5, 27.8
Low Reflection RGB 12.2, 12.5, 14.5
Ford Maverick 1227.7 Miles - An Unbiased Maverick Lariat Owner's Review PXL_20211007_145751064.PORTRAIT

Photo 2 - Overcast/Early Evening
Sky Reflection RGB 29.4, 39.2, 47.8
Terrain Reflection RGB 8.2, 11.0, 13.3
Far Ground Reflection RGB 9.8, 12.5, 16.5
Low Reflection RGB 5.5, 7.1, 8.2
Ford Maverick 1227.7 Miles - An Unbiased Maverick Lariat Owner's Review PXL_20211012_004610161

Photo 3 - Nighttime Garage Low Light
Ceiling Reflection RGB 11.0, 18.0, 23.5
Wall Reflection RGB 40.8, 36.1, 30.6
Floor Reflection RGB 3.9, 3.9, 3.1
Low Reflection RGB 2.7, 2.7, 2.0
Ford Maverick 1227.7 Miles - An Unbiased Maverick Lariat Owner's Review PXL_20211012_053731172

So, as you can see by the 3 condition samples, the blue hue can wash out almost altogether the darker it is.

Yes, it will take about as much work as a Black vehicle to keep it from looking dirty up close. At a distance, it masks it a little better in sunny conditions.

If it is not well taken care of, it will likely end up with swirls, just like any other dark vehicle. I will be 10 year ceramic coating mine, so that should help it remain clean looking significantly. Thanks again.

Sponsored

Google

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius C
I test drove an XLT yesterday that a customer canceled on and experienced the hood flutter. It's small, but noticeable.

Question for anyone who actually drove a Maverick…. Have any of you experienced hood flapping similar to what the op described?

CZaugg

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid, 2021 Toyota Venza
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
WARNING - WALL OF TEXT TO FOLLOW

Hello MTC! Many of you have seen me around these parts since April 9th of this year. Those who know me here would likely agree that I try to remain unbiased in my opinions about the Maverick. Even though I am now a proud owner of an Alto Blue Lariat, I will remain as unbiased as I can be for this review.

Specifications:
Color - Alto Blue
Trim - Lariat Lux
Engine - 2.0 EcoBoost
Drive - AWD FX4 with 4K Tow
Liner - Spray-in
Cover - Hard Roll-up
Wheels - 17" Unique (Black)
Tires - Falken Wildpeak AT3W 235/65r17
Spare - Full Sized (True Full Sized Now)
PXL_20211007_145834729.PORTRAIT.jpg

First Impression:
To be completely honest, I was a little underwhelmed at first sight. I had lurked and contributed on this forum for a long time so I had already seen everything (mostly) that I had expected. Not to say I wasn't happy, I was elated to finally see my new truck in person. It's sort of like going to a movie where they showed all the good parts in the preview and left nothing for the movie (*cough* "Old" *cough*). Only difference is I didn't feel ripped of by purchasing the Maverick.

I managed to get delivery of the truck the day before we were heading out on a fairly long road trip and the Maverick was a most welcome addition for the 7 of us to travel. The Maverick carried everything as well as the driver (mostly me) and 2 passengers. Everyone got a turn riding and 3 others had a turn at driving so I could get each of their opinions. I will break everything in 3 ratings, Good, Bad, or Indifferent and give my reasoning for each. Without further ado...

The Good:
Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- I decided to make this my first review point simply because I have HATED ACC in other vehicles I have driven. The ease of use and clarity of what is happening when the ACC display is active doesn't leave me wondering what the vehicle is doing. It is simple to adjust the following distance and it is very reactive when another vehicle cuts in between you and the followed vehicle. I tested the ACC to the point that I let it take me to a complete stop (with my foot hovering over the brake). It is a welcome addition to the options that I initially would have declined if it was a removable option. I was a die-hard proponent of simple cruise control before the Ford ACC changed my mind.

Lane Centering - This one was going to be listed under indifferent, but I decided it was good, overall. The lane centering is nice and does what it is supposed to, for the most part. It seemed more likely to pull to the center line than to the outside line if it got a little confused. Additionally, I had to apply a bit more pressure to the steering wheel than I wanted to so the vehicle knew I was holding onto the wheel. If you grasp it too lightly, the truck will yell at you. Mostly, it did as it was supposed to and is a nice option to have.

Cover (Hard Roll-up) - This is another one that I contemplated marking as "indifferent", but my complaints about it were not the fault of the product. We experienced quite a bit of rain and even a little snow when we made it back home. Even with so much moisture, the contents and bed remained completely dry.

The complaints I had were about the installation. The cover was installed slightly too close to the cab and caused a little ripple in the seal and made it so the end seal did not sit flush with the tailgate.
PXL_20211013_165323409.jpg

PXL_20211013_165316658.jpg

As I said though, everything stayed dry inside and I just need to adjust the cover slightly to make it sit correctly, so the cover gets to hang out in the "Good" crowd.

Cabin Noise - This was a surprising thing for me since I have had sedans that were noisier to ride in. Even with the upgraded tires, I didn't need to shout to make myself heard.

Acceleration - The acceleration was a bit peppier than I had anticipated. Until I see that the loss of "Sport" mode is a day and night difference of what "Normal" can do, I won't mourn the loss.

Comfort/Ride - The Maverick feels nothing like a truck inside. The ride is extremely smooth over normal roads and the steering is responsive and accurate. I opted to not have the moon roof, a choice I am happy I made. That additional 2" of headroom makes the cab feel massive. The seats are contoured to cradle you while you sit. The climate control was easy to keep the back seat passenger comfortable with only the under-seat ducting with minimal adjustment to the setpoint and front vents. If I had one complaint on comfort to make, it would be about the tilting headrests. To be fair, the headrests are not there for comfort and the name should be changed. I have, however, ridden in vehicles with much worse headrests.

Display/Gauges - The gauge cluster is easy to look at and is easy to identify the many things going on with it. The color and highlight options chosen create enough contrast to make changes to settings grab your attention, but not so much as to be obnoxious. A couple nice features to this is an alert when a passenger unbuckles their seatbelt (and showing which passenger) and the notification to check for passengers in the back when exiting. If that saves only one child from getting baked in the back of a Maverick because of inattentive parents, it will be worth it.

Fuel Economy - I am relatively satisfied with the mileage I am getting so far. The trip I took ranged from Highway to City to Mountainous Passes to Stop and Go traffic. Through the whole 1200+ mile trip, I averaged 26.8 MPG. That is very welcome, considering everything we hauled for all 7 people on a 4-day road trip was hauled along in the back, including a fairly large cooler full of ice and drinks. That, along with the 3 occupants was a relatively large load. With about 500-550 lbs of occupants, we may have been getting fairly close to the load rating. Remember, this is a nearly fully loaded truck that knocks my load rating down to 1264 lbs.
PXL_20211013_192455321.jpg

Bed Size - To tie into the previous review item, I must say that I am surprised at how much I can fit in the relatively small bed of the Maverick. I never thought I would have been able to fit the belongings of 7 (some high maintenance) people in the bed. I can't wait to haul some larger items to give it a full test.

Under-seat Storage - I love the space under the back seat (non-hybrid). I was able to fit my Ice Scraper, Emergency Shovel, M12 Battery Charger, M12 Compressor, and a couple batteries in one side. The other side will be where I keep the Tow Rope, Emergency Kit, and First Aid kit. There will still be room left over.

4K Towing Option - Trailer Adapter - Though I have not had to tow anything yet, I wanted to thank whoever decided to put the 4-pin and 7-pin receivers BOTH on the 4K Maverick. No more trying to find that silly 7 to 4 adapter for non-braking trailers.

120 VAC Inverter Outlet - A lot of people have been nitpicking the 3.3 A @ 120VAC rating of the inverter, calling it mostly useless. I respectfully disagree. It is enough to run many devices, and we found the need to use it several times on the trip. First, one of the kids had a bunch of school work to do, so his 2.4A laptop power supply was just fine. Second, I charged up one of my M12 batteries for the compressor. Lastly, and most beneficial, I hurt my jaw a little and went to Walgreens for some single-use heat packs. While there, I noticed a small 12"x15" heating pad. I opened it up to find the Wattage or Amp Rating, but it was not listed. Checked online, not listed. Then I recalled that Sunbeam actually manufactures them for Walgreens and good news, 150 Watts - well below the 400 Watt rating. I was able to use the heating pad for the last 6 hours of travel and I didn't need to buy those single use things. I am sure I will find many more uses for the outlets going forward.

Auto-Dimming High Beams - Much more responsive than in other vehicles I have used. Only issue I noticed is that it will not dim for a vehicle across an extra-wide median. Probably a non-issue, but I tend to manually dim, no matter how wide the median is.

Horn - Not a baby horn. That is all I have to say about it.

The Bad
Hood
- At moderate rates of speed, the hood, near the windshield, appears to flap up and down quite a bit. I worry that, over time, that may cause stress fractures in the clear coat. I would have liked to see the hood seat more snugly.

Steering Wheel Boot - The boot isn't really to blame, more the manufacturing. When I was letting someone else drive, the steering wheel was adjusted accordingly. I noticed a portion of the boot appeared to be loose. I am sure they this will be a simple matter of loosening the screw and reattaching the boot, but I shouldn't have to.
PXL_20211013_165157619.jpg

Backup Camera Location - Whoever thought under the Ford emblem was a good place for the backup camera should have their decision-making privileges revoked. Water tends to collect and funnel down to the lowest point of a shape and the oval is no exception. If it has been raining, plan on going back to old-school mirror backup or climbing out to clean the camera. Additionally, with the tailgate being a removable part of the vehicle, it is an inconvenient place to put the camera. I guess that means they can charge a bit more for a replacement if the tailgate gets damaged or stolen.

Backup Camera Night Visibility - I would have liked to see an extra light tied into the reverse gear to cast more light behind you. At night, it is very difficult to see where you are backing up. Maybe I will install something after-market for this.

Cubby/8-inch Display - Every, EVERY single person who has looked at my interior asks what our "beloved" cubby is for. I tell them it is for a chip shortage that turned a 12-inch Sync4 display with wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay into an 8-inch Sync3 display. Until someone proves me wrong, I'm going to keep telling people that. Hopefully Ford will have the decency to make the future 12-inch display a purchasable replacement where a dealer install won't invalidate the warranty.

Slippery Mode Brake Response - This is something I didn't experience myself, but one of my other drivers mentioned that when breaking in Slippery mode, the braking feels squishy and different than normal. If that is the case, I can understand why, but I don't recall reading that in the manual. Of course, I could've missed it, but that could be dangerous if someone is not prepared for the difference in braking.

"Full" Sized Spare - This is a rip-off, plain and simple. Any of you without a build date, immediately call your dealer to remove your Full-Sized Spare or prepare to be disappointed. Go buy a cheap Steelie and get a matching tire put on it yourself. Fortunately for me I had already anticipated replacing all my tires, but if I hadn't, I'd be even angrier than I am about this one. I opted to keep the 225 Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires on my order and replace them with the 235 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws myself since that would be cheaper than buying new wheels/rims. The Pirellis are a 225/65r17 and the spare that came with it was a 215/60r17 Atlas Priva C/S.
PXL_20211007_150640406.jpg

I have heard, but I don't know personally, that having a difference in size like that is bad for the AWD. Seems like a bad place to cut corners and save a few bucks.

Initial Cleanliness - Not sure if this should be a complaint or not since the dealer helped me rush through in time to get the truck before the Road Trip, but the interior was really messy. There was dirt and slight scuffing (non-damaging) on many of the interior panels of the truck. I don't know if it they always get unloaded looking that way, but a word to the wise - Give your dealer time to detail it for you.

The Indifferent
Audio Source Switching
- It is a bit cumbersome to switch audio sources when connected to Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Once your phone is connected, the voice commands are switched to Google/Siri and you can't tell Sync3 to switch to SiriusXM via voice. You need to use the screen to move out of your navigation, go to Sync3, then Audio, then pick your source. There may be an easier way, but I have not spent time looking yet.

Sync3 Menu Navigation - Does anyone remember when websites had "Site Maps"? It was a page where you could figure out which pages you needed to click through to get where you wanted to go. We seriously need something like that for the Sync3 Menus. There are so many configurable options in the system that it may take hours to make it through them all.

Hold/Auto Start-Stop - I really wanted to list these under "Bad", but that would be just because I don't like how they work. Main reason I don't care for them is because the Maverick is a bit "jumpy" from a stop. I need to wedge the Maverick in the garage in a way that I need to creep into place. To do this, I need to lightly release the brake and let the truck inch into position. Using the Auto-Start/Stop, I would likely lurch into the garage door runner.

Water Bottle Holder Sizes - Hey look, it's the most talked about Maverick feature creeping back into the conversation. I added this for one reason - I found it irritating that the door water bottle holders differ in size from the front to the back. I grabbed a bottle for the trip and dropped it into the back door. Decent fit, but a little loose. It would work until I get one that is a better size. After we headed out, I asked one of the kids to hand me my "sippy cup". Guess what would not fit in the driver door even though it fit loosely in the back door? Yep, it had to ride in the center console.

Back Seat Arm Rest Elevation - I will need to watch this one, but there is about a 1.5" gap between the arm rest and the seat underneath. I worry that someone will put weight on it and break the thing.

Sunglasses Holder - Those of us without Moon Roofs get a Sunglasses Holder. Whee... Except mine sticks slightly. I'm sure it will loosen with time, just slightly annoying.

Hill Assist - The truck wants you to travel at 25 MPH or lower when using Hill Assist. I was hoping to use it instead of "L" for going down hills since "L" seems to have a tendency to rev high at times.

Rear Powered Window - Opens and closes smoothly, but I could take it or leave it. At least the dog can stick her head out and slobber on the car behind me.

Auto Headlights - I usually leave my headlights on all the time and I am going to go back to that now that I have tested the Maverick's auto headlights. Driving through a tunnel, it seemed to take about 10-15 seconds before it realized they should probably be on.

Turn Radius - Plan on making a 3-point turn on a normal sized 2-lane road. It seems to turn a bit wider than a similarly sized SUV.

Rear-view Mirror - The lack of Auto-Dimming on the Rear-view Mirror seems to be a non-issue. The rear privacy glass dampens the other lights fairly well. I am disappointed it doesn't come with Homelink though. I will likely be replacing that next.

In Conclusion
Overall, I am quite happy with my purchase and will likely own it for many years to come. The pros greatly outweigh the cons and it doesn't really matter to me what others think of my new truck (except for that blasted cubby). If any of you have questions on my experience and review, please feel free to ask and I will try to answer when I am able. Good luck to the rest of you who are still in queue to get your Maverick. Happy Trails...

previously posted photos to follow

*Edited to correct spare size from 215/60r16 to the correct 215/60r17 - thanks for the catch.

*Edited to correct several typos

Hello MTC! Many of you have seen me around these parts since April 9th of this year. Those who know me here would likely agree that I try to remain unbiased in my opinions about the Maverick. Even though I am now a proud owner of an Alto Blue Lariat, I will remain as unbiased as I can be for this review.

Specifications:
Color - Alto Blue
Trim - Lariat Lux
Engine - 2.0 EcoBoost
Liner - Spray-in
Cover - Hard Roll-up

First Impression:
To be completely honest, I was a little underwhelmed at first sight. I had lurked and contributed on this forum for a long time so I had already seen everything (mostly) that I had expected. Not to say I wasn't happy, I was elated to finally see my new truck in person. It's sort of like going to a movie where they showed all the good parts in the preview and left nothing for the movie (*cough* "Old" *cough*). Only difference is I didn't feel ripped of by purchasing the Maverick.

I managed to get delivery of the truck the day before we were heading out on a fairly long road trip and the Maverick was a most welcome addition for the 7 of us to travel. The Maverick carried everything as well as the driver (mostly me) and 2 passengers. Everyone got a turn riding and 3 others had a turn at driving so I could get each of their opinions. I will break everything in 3 ratings, Good, Bad, or Indifferent and give my reasoning for each. Without further ado...

The Good:
- I decided to make this my first review point simply because I have HATED ACC in other vehicles I have driven. The ease of use and clarity of what is happening when the ACC display is active doesn't leave me wondering what the vehicle is doing. It is simple to adjust the following distance and it is very reactive when another vehicle cuts in between you and the followed vehicle. I tested the ACC to the point that I let it take me to a complete stop (with my foot hovering over the brake). It is a welcome addition to the options that I initially would have declined if it was a removable option. I was a die-hard proponent of simple cruise control before the Ford ACC changed my mind.

Lane Centering - This one was going to be listed under indifferent, but I decided it was good, overall. The lane centering is nice and does what it is supposed to, for the most part. It seemed more likely to pull to the center line than to the outside line if it got a little confused. Additionally, I had to apply a bit more pressure to the steering wheel than I wanted to so the vehicle knew I was holding onto the wheel. If you grasp it too lightly, the truck will yell at you. Mostly, it did as it was supposed to and is a nice option to have.

Cover (Hard Roll-up) - This is another one that I contemplated marking as "indifferent", but my complaints about it were not the fault of the product. We experienced quite a bit of rain and even a little snow when we made it back home. Even with so much moisture, the contents and bed remained completely dry.

The complaints I had were about the installation. The cover was installed slightly too close to the cab and caused a little ripple in the seal and made it so the end seal did not sit flush with the tailgate.

As I said though, everything stayed dry inside and I just need to adjust the cover slightly to make it sit correctly, so the cover gets to hang out in the "Good" crowd.

Cabin Noise - This was a surprising thing for me since I have had sedans that were noisier to ride in. Even with the upgraded tires, I didn't need to shout to make myself heard.

Acceleration - The acceleration was a bit peppier than I had anticipated. Until I see that the loss of "Sport" mode is a day and night difference of what "Normal" can do, I won't mourn the loss.

Comfort/Ride - The Maverick feels nothing like a truck inside. The ride is extremely smooth over normal roads and the steering is responsive and accurate. I opted to not have the moon roof, a choice I am happy I made. That additional 2" of headroom makes the cab feel massive. The seats are contoured to cradle you while you sit. The climate control was easy to keep the back seat passenger comfortable with only the under-seat ducting with minimal adjustment to the setpoint and front vents. If I had one complaint on comfort to make, it would be about the tilting headrests. To be fair, the headrests are not there for comfort and the name should be changed. I have, however, ridden in vehicles with much worse headrests.

Display/Gauges - The gauge cluster is easy to look at and is easy to identify the many things going on with it. The color and highlight options chosen create enough contrast to make changes to settings grab your attention, but not so much as to be obnoxious. A couple nice features to this is an alert when a passenger unbuckles their seatbelt (and showing which passenger) and the notification to check for passengers in the back when exiting. If that saves only one child from getting baked in the back of a Maverick because of inattentive parents, it will be worth it.

Fuel Economy - I am relatively satisfied with the mileage I am getting so far. The trip I took ranged from Highway to City to Mountainous Passes to Stop and Go traffic. Through the whole 1200+ mile trip, I averaged 26.8 MPG. That is very welcome, considering everything we hauled for all 7 people on a 4-day road trip was hauled along in the back, including a fairly large cooler full of ice and drinks. That, along with the 3 occupants was a relatively large load. With about 500-550 lbs of occupants, we may have been getting fairly close to the load rating. Remember, this is a nearly fully loaded truck that knocks my load rating down to 1264 lbs.

Bed Size - To tie into the previous review item, I must say that I am surprised at how much I can fit in the relatively small bed of the Maverick. I never thought I would have been able to fit the belongings of 7 (some high maintenance) people in the bed. I can't wait to haul some larger items to give it a full test.

Under-seat Storage - I love the space under the back seat (non-hybrid). I was able to fit my Ice Scraper, Emergency Shovel, M12 Battery Charger, M12 Compressor, and a couple batteries in one side. The other side will be where I keep the Tow Rope, Emergency Kit, and First Aid kit. There will still be room left over.

4K Towing Option - Trailer Adapter - Though I have not had to tow anything yet, I wanted to thank whoever decided to put the 4-pin and 7-pin receivers BOTH on the 4K Maverick. No more trying to find that silly 7 to 4 adapter for non-braking trailers.

120 VAC Inverter Outlet - A lot of people have been nitpicking the 3.3 A @ 120VAC rating of the inverter, calling it mostly useless. I respectfully disagree. It is enough to run many devices, and we found the need to use it several times on the trip. First, one of the kids had a bunch of school work to do, so his 2.4A laptop power supply was just fine. Second, I charged up one of my M12 batteries for the compressor. Lastly, and most beneficial, I hurt my jaw a little and went to Walgreens for some single-use heat packs. While there, I noticed a small 12"x15" heating pad. I opened it up to find the Wattage or Amp Rating, but it was not listed. Checked online, not listed. Then I recalled that Sunbeam actually manufactures them for Walgreens and good news, 150 Watts - well below the 400 Watt rating. I was able to use the heating pad for the last 6 hours of travel and I didn't need to buy those single use things. I am sure I will find many more uses for the outlets going forward.

Auto-Dimming High Beams - Much more responsive than in other vehicles I have used. Only issue I noticed is that it will not dim for a vehicle across an extra-wide median. Probably a non-issue, but I tend to manually dim, no matter how wide the median is.

The Bad
Hood
- At moderate rates of speed, the hood, near the windshield, appears to flap up and down quite a bit. I worry that, over time, that may cause stress fractures in the clear coat. I would have liked to see the hood seat more snugly.

Steering Wheel Boot - The boot isn't really to blame, more the manufacturing. When I was letting someone else drive, the steering wheel was adjusted accordingly. I noticed a portion of the boot appeared to be loose. I am sure they this will be a simple matter of loosening the screw and reattaching the boot, but I shouldn't have to.

Backup Camera Location - Whoever thought under the Ford emblem was a good place for the backup camera should have their decision-making privileges revoked. Water tends to collect and funnel down to the lowest point of a shape and the oval is no exception. If it has been raining, plan on going back to old-school mirror backup or climbing out to clean the camera. Additionally, with the tailgate being a removable part of the vehicle, it is an inconvenient place to put the camera. I guess that means they can charge a bit more for a replacement if the tailgate gets damaged or stolen.

Backup Camera Night Visibility - I would have liked to see an extra light tied into the reverse gear to cast more light behind you. At night, it is very difficult to see where you are backing up. Maybe I will install something after-market for this.

Cubby/8-inch Display - Every, EVERY single person who has looked at my interior asks what our "beloved" cubby is for. I tell them it is for a chip shortage that turned a 12-inch Sync4 display with wireless Android Auto and Apple Carplay into an 8-inch Sync3 display. Until someone proves me wrong, I'm going to keep telling people that. Hopefully Ford will have the decency to make the future 12-inch display a purchasable replacement where a dealer install won't invalidate the warranty.

Slippery Mode Brake Response - This is something I didn't experience myself, but one of my other drivers mentioned that when breaking in Slippery mode, the braking feels squishy and different than normal. If that is the case, I can understand why, but I don't recall reading that in the manual. Of course, I could've missed it, but that could be dangerous if someone is not prepared for the difference in braking.

"Full" Sized Spare - This is a rip-off, plain and simple. Any of you without a build date, immediately call your dealer to remove your Full-Sized Spare or prepare to be disappointed. Go buy a cheap Steelie and get a matching tire put on it yourself. Fortunately for me I had already anticipated replacing all my tires, but if I hadn't, I'd be even angrier than I am about this one. I opted to keep the 225 Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires on my order and replace them with the 235 Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws myself since that would be cheaper than buying new wheels/rims. The Pirellis are a 225/65r17 and the spare that came with it was a 215/60r17 Atlas Priva C/S.

I have heard, but I don't know personally, that having a difference in size like that is bad for the AWD. Seems like a bad place to cut corners and save a few bucks.

Initial Cleanliness - Not sure if this should be a complaint or not since the dealer helped me rush through in time to get the truck before the Road Trip, but the interior was really messy. There was dirt and slight scuffing (non-damaging) on many of the interior panels of the truck. I don't know if it they always get unloaded looking that way, but a word to the wise - Give your dealer time to detail it for you.

The Indifferent
Audio Source Switching
- It is a bit cumbersome to switch audio sources when connected to Android Auto or Apple Carplay. Once your phone is connected, the voice commands are switched to Google/Siri and you can't tell Sync3 to switch to SiriusXM via voice. You need to use the screen to move out of your navigation, go to Sync3, then Audio, then pick your source. There may be an easier way, but I have not spent time looking yet.

Sync3 Menu Navigation - Does anyone remember when websites had "Site Maps"? It was a page where you could figure out which pages you needed to click through to get where you wanted to go. We seriously need something like that for the Sync3 Menus. There are so many configurable options in the system that it may take hours to make it through them all.

Hold/Auto Start-Stop - I really wanted to list these under "Bad", but that would be just because I don't like how they work. Main reason I don't care for them is because the Maverick is a bit "jumpy" from a stop. I need to wedge the Maverick in the garage in a way that I need to creep into place. To do this, I need to lightly release the brake and let the truck inch into position. Using the Auto-Start/Stop, I would likely lurch into the garage door runner.

Water Bottle Holder Sizes - Hey look, it's the most talked about Maverick feature creeping back into the conversation. I added this for one reason - I found it irritating that the door water bottle holders differ in size from the front to the back. I grabbed a bottle for the trip and dropped it into the back door. Decent fit, but a little loose. It would work until I get one that is a better size. After we headed out, I asked one of the kids to hand me my "sippy cup". Guess what would not fit in the driver door even though it fit loosely in the back door? Yep, it had to ride in the center console.

Back Seat Arm Rest Elevation - I will need to watch this one, but there is about a 1.5" gap between the arm rest and the seat underneath. I worry that someone will put weight on it and break the thing.

Sunglasses Holder - Those of us without Moon Roofs get a Sunglasses Holder. Whee... Except mine sticks slightly. I'm sure it will loosen with time, just slightly annoying.

Hill Assist - The truck wants you to travel at 25 MPH or lower when using Hill Assist. I was hoping to use it instead of "L" for going down hills since "L" seems to have a tendency to rev high at times.

Rear Powered Window - Opens and closes smoothly, but I could take it or leave it. At least the dog can stick her head out and slobber on the car behind me.

Auto Headlights - I usually leave my headlights on all the time and I am going to go back to that now that I have tested the Maverick's auto headlights. Driving through a tunnel, it seemed to take about 10-15 seconds before it realized they should probably be on.

Turn Radius - Plan on making a 3-point turn on a normal sized 2-lane road. It seems to turn a bit wider than a similarly sized SUV.

Rear-view Mirror - The lack of Auto-Dimming on the Rear-view Mirror seems to be a non-issue. The rear privacy glass dampens the other lights fairly well. I am disappointed it doesn't come with Homelink though. I will likely be replacing that next.

In Conclusion
Overall, I am quite happy with my purchase and will likely own it for many years to come. The pros greatly outweigh the cons and it doesn't really matter to me what others think of my new truck (except for that blasted cubby). If any of you have questions on my experience and review, please feel free to ask and I will try to answer when I am able. Good luck to the rest of you who are still in queue to get your Maverick. Happy Trails...

*Edited to correct spare size from 215/60r16 to the correct 215/60r17 - thanks for the catch.

I have a question about that little "cubby". Since the Maverick does NOT have a built in "HomeLink" system, can a visor/handheld garage door opener fit in that little cubby? Even though the handheld openers are designed for visor use, I don't like how it looks and interferes visor operation. I suppose putting it in the door side panel is another option. Comment appreciated.

Specifications:
Color - Alto Blue
Trim - Lariat Lux
Engine - 2.0 EcoBoost
Liner - Spray-in
Cover - Hard Roll-up

First Impression:

The Good:

The Bad
Hood

The Indifferent
Audio Source Switching

In Conclusion

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
I have a question about that little "cubby". Since the Maverick does NOT have a built in "HomeLink" system, can a visor/handheld garage door opener fit in that little cubby? Even though the handheld openers are designed for visor use, I don't like how it looks and interferes visor operation. I suppose putting it in the door side panel is another option. Comment appreciated.
There is another thread on this site where someone said they are going to 3D print an insert to fit in that cubby and then disassemble their garage door opener and mount the buttons on the 3d insert. I told him I would be interested in buying one.

OP
OP
Jukebox Nero

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Without the lil removable rubber mat, cubby measures 93mm tall, 58mm wide, 70mm deep. At the back it tapers down to 76mm tall, 50mm wide.
Those are the measurements, so it would depend on the size of the opener. Good luck.

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't noticed any hood rattle / flapping on mine. Make sure your hood is properly latched. Remember that you need to pop the handle twice to fully release the latch. Sounds like some folks may be driving around with it partially unlatched.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jukebox Nero

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't noticed any hood rattle / flapping on mine. Make sure your hood is properly latched. Remember that you need to pop the handle twice to fully release the latch. Sounds like some folks may be driving around with it partially unlatched.
I thought that might have been the case, but it was fully shut. I know that because a single pull pops it up slightly and it has a noticable gap in the front. Also, when I opened it, it made the 2 distinct pop-ups when releasing. You can see from the 2nd to last photo in the photos post that it was closed before I opened it to check for adjustable bumpers.

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I thought that might have been the case, but it was fully shut. I know that because a single pull pops it up slightly and it has a noticable gap in the front. Also, when I opened it, it made the 2 distinct pop-ups when releasing. You can see from the 2nd to last photo in the photos post that it was closed before I opened it to check for adjustable bumpers.
That's too bad. If it's noticeable then I would have the dealer handle it.

The Weatherman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux FX4 4K x 2
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
OP
OP
Jukebox Nero

Jukebox Nero

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought the Lariats came with 18" rims...............
FX4 package gives you 17s and I much preferred them in black. Thanks for checking.
Sponsored