Sponsored

1000 Mile Maverick Hybrid XLT Review (and I mostly hate it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
HEY NOW>>>>> Why would I give up an email account I've had since the mid 90's?
My primary (personal) email account is the same one I had to open my first semester of college...in 1998. I get some weird looks when people find out I still use hotmail.
Sponsored

TSAINTS1115

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So.. I have good and bad things to say about this thing..
And honestly i do like the concept, but i just don't care for the execution.
I went into this thing expecting a corolla level of build quality, and craftsmanship.
Understand i didn't expect supple leather seats, and 2in of thick sound proofing..
But.. i did expect to be in something comparable to a hybrid corolla or a prius.

First the good.

It's Genuinely amazing on fuel.
It's a good small car with a bed, and works well..
(Though I still think this should have been called the Ranchero)
It handles pretty well..
Mine is Alto-Blue and it's actually a sharp color
The paint quality is really good
The drive-train is well balanced for efficiency and power when needed.
The interior color scheme is a great way to make something cheap look more appealing.
It fits in my garage
It takes a lot less time to clean than the F150
I like the view down the hood when driving it.
even though it's a hybrid it's far less pretentious than a Prius.

Ok, now the bad..
The build quality compared to my Grand Marquis and F150 is appalling..
It honestly makes a new Base corolla look like a Lexus..
It's actually right on par with the VW GTI i owned.. Which was also built in Mexico.
(The door fell off at 13K miles)
All the Panels rattle and creek.. (it's worse when it's cold)
The windows are already slowing down when you roll them up..
The screen is junk, and honestly if it was a normal shape, in a normal dash hole, i could at least replace it.
The scissor seat design is stupid, the taller you are the more of a hole you sit in..
The lack of a standard rear sliding window means that open windows are constant wind buffering
The Eye glass holder isn't correctly molded so I have to bend it to open it.
The Gas engine is Pinging on regular unleaded, so i have to run high test or octane booster to get it to run right.
The steering wheel is de-laminating already, and the plastic/leather cover in the luxury package feels like the same material you would get on a coat at Walmart.
I can physically rock the wheel on the column when i grip it in both hands..
The front Strut mounts are plastic, and they rattle when the temp gets cold.. so you get a really unpleasant front end clunk that the only other vehicle i have driven that had that problem was my Uncle's 1987 Hyundai Excel when it was new'ish.
The Co-Pilot is a waste of money, as the Blindspot monitoring is selective, Sometimes it cares if a car is 15ft past your bumper, and when someone is right in your blind-spot, it doesn't' let you know..
It's all over the place on the highway, it is exhausting to drive on the highway..
The Lane keep is a good way to die, the car will actively try to push you into oncoming traffic..
Also having issues with dealership support, i had a tri-fold ford bed cover, and it was either made wrong, or there's a defect in the design, but it's been 3 weeks and I still can't get them to replace it or refund me the money.

Honestly wish i could get my Mercury or F150 back..
I would take the MPG hit.. even at 4.49 a gallon..

Side note:
Is there a For-Sale portion of this thread, as i am definitely selling this thing..

Ford Maverick 1000 Mile Maverick Hybrid XLT Review (and I mostly hate it) 1653226786217

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
So.. I have good and bad things to say about this thing..
And honestly i do like the concept, but i just don't care for the execution.
I went into this thing expecting a corolla level of build quality, and craftsmanship.
Understand i didn't expect supple leather seats, and 2in of thick sound proofing..
But.. i did expect to be in something comparable to a hybrid corolla or a prius.

First the good.

It's Genuinely amazing on fuel.
It's a good small car with a bed, and works well..
(Though I still think this should have been called the Ranchero)
It handles pretty well..
Mine is Alto-Blue and it's actually a sharp color
The paint quality is really good
The drive-train is well balanced for efficiency and power when needed.
The interior color scheme is a great way to make something cheap look more appealing.
It fits in my garage
It takes a lot less time to clean than the F150
I like the view down the hood when driving it.
even though it's a hybrid it's far less pretentious than a Prius.

Ok, now the bad..
The build quality compared to my Grand Marquis and F150 is appalling..
It honestly makes a new Base corolla look like a Lexus..
It's actually right on par with the VW GTI i owned.. Which was also built in Mexico.
(The door fell off at 13K miles)
All the Panels rattle and creek.. (it's worse when it's cold)
The windows are already slowing down when you roll them up..
The screen is junk, and honestly if it was a normal shape, in a normal dash hole, i could at least replace it.
The scissor seat design is stupid, the taller you are the more of a hole you sit in..
The lack of a standard rear sliding window means that open windows are constant wind buffering
The Eye glass holder isn't correctly molded so I have to bend it to open it.
The Gas engine is Pinging on regular unleaded, so i have to run high test or octane booster to get it to run right.
The steering wheel is de-laminating already, and the plastic/leather cover in the luxury package feels like the same material you would get on a coat at Walmart.
I can physically rock the wheel on the column when i grip it in both hands..
The front Strut mounts are plastic, and they rattle when the temp gets cold.. so you get a really unpleasant front end clunk that the only other vehicle i have driven that had that problem was my Uncle's 1987 Hyundai Excel when it was new'ish.
The Co-Pilot is a waste of money, as the Blindspot monitoring is selective, Sometimes it cares if a car is 15ft past your bumper, and when someone is right in your blind-spot, it doesn't' let you know..
It's all over the place on the highway, it is exhausting to drive on the highway..
The Lane keep is a good way to die, the car will actively try to push you into oncoming traffic..
Also having issues with dealership support, i had a tri-fold ford bed cover, and it was either made wrong, or there's a defect in the design, but it's been 3 weeks and I still can't get them to replace it or refund me the money.

Honestly wish i could get my Mercury or F150 back..
I would take the MPG hit.. even at 4.49 a gallon..

Side note:
Is there a For-Sale portion of this thread, as i am definitely selling this thing..
Sorry you are having a bad experience with the Maverick. I did see one item that is a major concern for me. The blind side monitoring cannot be trusted at all. Several times I have almost hit someone coming off ramps when the timing places them in my blind spot at the exact moment I'm merging into the highway. It also only picks up motorcycles about 50% of the time. I no longer trust the system and continually twist my neck to see past the door pillar. Unless Ford comes up with a software fix, I'll be forced to glue a convex mirror on to see what's on the side of my truck. I no longer trust the system for any situational awareness.

It is a flaw because my 2016 RAV4 Limited has the same system and has never missed anything in my blind spot.

RBElectrical

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
LOL at this post. It's a $20K base vehicle. A couple options aren't going to make it a luxury vehicle. I bought a Lariat Lux and am blown away by the amount of vehicle you can get for low 30K. And I own several vehicles that cost 2-3x the amount this little Maverick cost. In fact, I am debating getting out of my M340i lease early and just driving the Maverick in it's place.

An XLT Lux Hybrid at $27K seems like an absolute home run and sweet point in pricing. What other vehicle can you get for $27K these days that isn't a tiny sedan but nets 40mpg? Sure the engine might be a little buzzy or get some noises, but it's a first model year vehicle with a base price of $20K. I am not sure what anyone is expecting, but this is a lot of vehicle for the price when you compare to a Ranger/Colorado.

Sponsored

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My primary (personal) email account is the same one I had to open my first semester of college...in 1998. I get some weird looks when people find out I still use hotmail.
I'm still with the hotmail as well. I don't understand why (younger) people freak about it. What's the big deal?

DesertSweat

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Lariat, Honda HR-V 6spd
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pinging on the engine sounds odd. I haven't had issues, and with high temps in Phoenix and running AC so higher load, I would be having issues.

MauRoba

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
I'm still with the hotmail as well. I don't understand why (younger) people freak about it. What's the big deal?
It’s like watching someone use a Betamax machine. It’s just archaic and interesting.

UpNorthBuckeye

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Expedtn, 17PriusV,22 Mavrk XLT hybridHPR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It’s like watching someone use a Betamax machine. It’s just archaic and interesting.
Yeah, I get that MauRoba. But it still works as well as anything else. :cool:
I will confess, though, I'm thinking of getting a land line. I am sure I would take a lot of crap about that but I'm in an area with less than good cell coverage, and I'm really tired of losing calls, freezing face times, etc.....

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gotta hold onto that hotmail address, heck yeah! Basically an antique at this point.

Sponsored

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry you are having a bad experience with the Maverick. I did see one item that is a major concern for me. The blind side monitoring cannot be trusted at all. Several times I have almost hit someone coming off ramps when the timing places them in my blind spot at the exact moment I'm merging into the highway. It also only picks up motorcycles about 50% of the time. I no longer trust the system and continually twist my neck to see past the door pillar. Unless Ford comes up with a software fix, I'll be forced to glue a convex mirror on to see what's on the side of my truck. I no longer trust the system for any situational awareness.

It is a flaw because my 2016 RAV4 Limited has the same system and has never missed anything in my blind spot.

The detection issue aside, if you set you mirrors properly you shouldn't have any blind spots. If you can see the sides of your vehicle in the side mirror, they are angled in too close.

Jville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am not really looking for a profit, i don't want to screw anyone over, ultimately when i post it for sale, it will be on what i paid for it, and that's it.. once they take the loan, or pay the loan, or transfer the loan, i could care less. I am not some D-Bag dealership trying to screw anyone.
Selling at your cost does make it unfair to those waiting almost a year on their order. Even dealers who sell at MSRP for ordered units, will charge a premium for inventory.
That is fair. What is unfair is for a dealer to sell your long awaited order right out from underneath you. That should be criminal.

Jville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Ecoboost awd
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Gotta hold onto that hotmail address, heck yeah! Basically an antique at this point.
Back when AOL was the common, I paid a little extra for EarthLink. An EarthLink email address demonstrated who you were. Now everyone is Gmail.

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
The detection issue aside, if you set you mirrors properly you shouldn't have any blind spots. If you can see the sides of your vehicle in the side mirror, they are angled in too close.

Aside from adjusting my mirrors, when I pay for a safety product, I expect it to work or refund my money. The sensors are on the mirror housings, and I can't adjust them, and I certainly didn't write the software.
Question - How can Toyota get the 360 packages right in 2016 on my RAV4 and Ford can't get it right in 2022?

OXHB619

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB 2.0
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Aside from adjusting my mirrors, when I pay for a safety product, I expect it to work or refund my money. The sensors are on the mirror housings, and I can't adjust them, and I certainly didn't write the software.
Question - How can Toyota get the 360 packages right in 2016 on my RAV4 and Ford can't get it right in 2022?

I would go to the dealer if you are having issues. I cannot say I have had any issues with it, and out of habit always double check mirrors and have always had the indicator when I felt like it should of been there.

CP360 or no, I will never rely on those alone to ensure I don't merge on top of someone.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.