Sponsored

1000 Mile Maverick Hybrid XLT Review (and I mostly hate it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone Star Proud

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So.. I have good and bad things to say about this thing..
And honestly i do like the concept, but i just don't care for the execution.
I went into this thing expecting a corolla level of build quality, and craftsmanship.
Understand i didn't expect supple leather seats, and 2in of thick sound proofing..
But.. i did expect to be in something comparable to a hybrid corolla or a prius.

First the good.

It's Genuinely amazing on fuel.
It's a good small car with a bed, and works well..
(Though I still think this should have been called the Ranchero)
It handles pretty well..
Mine is Alto-Blue and it's actually a sharp color
The paint quality is really good
The drive-train is well balanced for efficiency and power when needed.
The interior color scheme is a great way to make something cheap look more appealing.
It fits in my garage
It takes a lot less time to clean than the F150
I like the view down the hood when driving it.
even though it's a hybrid it's far less pretentious than a Prius.

Ok, now the bad..
The build quality compared to my Grand Marquis and F150 is appalling..
It honestly makes a new Base corolla look like a Lexus..
It's actually right on par with the VW GTI i owned.. Which was also built in Mexico.
(The door fell off at 13K miles)
All the Panels rattle and creek.. (it's worse when it's cold)
The windows are already slowing down when you roll them up..
The screen is junk, and honestly if it was a normal shape, in a normal dash hole, i could at least replace it.
The scissor seat design is stupid, the taller you are the more of a hole you sit in..
The lack of a standard rear sliding window means that open windows are constant wind buffering
The Eye glass holder isn't correctly molded so I have to bend it to open it.
The Gas engine is Pinging on regular unleaded, so i have to run high test or octane booster to get it to run right.
The steering wheel is de-laminating already, and the plastic/leather cover in the luxury package feels like the same material you would get on a coat at Walmart.
I can physically rock the wheel on the column when i grip it in both hands..
The front Strut mounts are plastic, and they rattle when the temp gets cold.. so you get a really unpleasant front end clunk that the only other vehicle i have driven that had that problem was my Uncle's 1987 Hyundai Excel when it was new'ish.
The Co-Pilot is a waste of money, as the Blindspot monitoring is selective, Sometimes it cares if a car is 15ft past your bumper, and when someone is right in your blind-spot, it doesn't' let you know..
It's all over the place on the highway, it is exhausting to drive on the highway..
The Lane keep is a good way to die, the car will actively try to push you into oncoming traffic..
Also having issues with dealership support, i had a tri-fold ford bed cover, and it was either made wrong, or there's a defect in the design, but it's been 3 weeks and I still can't get them to replace it or refund me the money.

Honestly wish i could get my Mercury or F150 back..
I would take the MPG hit.. even at 4.49 a gallon..

Side note:
Is there a For-Sale portion of this thread, as i am definitely selling this thing..
So, you created an account on this site days ago just to come bitch and moan. In addition, you are hoping to use this site to sell your much hated Maverick. Wow!
Sponsored

First Name
Margie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I went into this thing expecting a corolla level of build quality, and craftsmanship.
Understand i didn't expect supple leather seats, and 2in of thick sound proofing..
But.. i did expect to be in something comparable to a hybrid corolla or a prius.

First the good.

It handles pretty well..
The interior color scheme is a great way to make something cheap look more appealing.
It fits in my garage

Ok, now the bad..
It's actually right on par with the VW GTI i owned.. Which was also built in Mexico.
The screen is junk, and honestly if it was a normal shape, in a normal dash hole, i could at least replace it.
The scissor seat design is stupid, the taller you are the more of a hole you sit in..
The lack of a standard rear sliding window means that open windows are constant wind buffering
The Gas engine is Pinging on regular unleaded, so i have to run high test or octane booster to get it to run right.
The steering wheel is de-laminating already, and the plastic/leather cover in the luxury package feels like the same material you would get on a coat at Walmart.
The front Strut mounts are plastic, and they rattle when the temp gets cold.. so you get a really unpleasant front end clunk that the only other vehicle i have driven that had that problem was my Uncle's 1987 Hyundai Excel when it was new'ish.
The Co-Pilot is a waste of money, as the Blindspot monitoring is selective, Sometimes it cares if a car is 15ft past your bumper, and when someone is right in your blind-spot, it doesn't' let you know..
It's all over the place on the highway, it is exhausting to drive on the highway..
The Lane keep is a good way to die, the car will actively try to push you into oncoming traffic..
Also having issues with dealership support, i had a tri-fold ford bed cover, and it was either made wrong, or there's a defect in the design, but it's been 3 weeks and I still can't get them to replace it or refund me the money.

Side note:
Is there a For-Sale portion of this thread, as i am definitely selling this thing..
Wow! Sorry to hear about your very unfortunate and disappointing experience with the Maverick. Perhaps it was a lemon. I've had mine 5 months now, thankfully with no problems to date and enjoying it. Good luck on your next purchase!

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've been driving 3 Ford Rangers for the past 32 years. My current one for 17 years. You might say my expectations will be modest at best as I am obviously not one to spend big bucks on pickup trucks. Regardless, the Maverick will be one hell of an upgrade for me. One I am looking forward to.

OTACORB

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DAB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Oxford White Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
A lot of what the OP wrote in terms of negatives are nothing more than preferences, so YES not everyone is going to have the same feeling about it. Though some of it I think is straight up BS. I do think the creaking or whatever is definitely over exaggerated, plastic strut mounts, plastic seat covers, it's exausting to drive. I have over 6000 miles on my Lariat and I have yet to have any creaking, adjusting the 360 will resolve over correcting, blind spot if always consistent for me.

Nonetheless, it's a buyers market so selling it will be no problem. Get rid of that piece of junk. LOL

Last edited:

LC48

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT, AWD, Carbonized Gray. Highlander Lim
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

14k hard driven miles, zero issues. No creaks, flutters, pings, or shudders. Sorry you got a bad one OP, and no the strut mounts are not plastic.......

Sponsored

MauRoba

Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick

Dpd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 dodge journey,2020 RX350
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lol no I feel there was no reason to change needed it for my business

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

First the good.

It handles pretty well..
It fits in my garage

Ok, now the bad..

Side note:
I must have a Wednesday build. On your list the only thing that I can attest to is the front struts. They have little to no rebound damping. If you hit a sharp upward bump their is no damping coming down. It also makes the loud noise the OP stated. So far this only happens on rare occasions but when it does it's noticeable.

My biggest complaint is the Rock Hard eco tires. I'm going to adjust down to 33 from 37psi to see if they soften a touch.

Also I adjusted the Lane Tracing and centering to the low sensitivity setting. It helps a lot to reduce over reactions of the system.

I have had no rattles of creaks that are constant.

Accidentally last night I left the key in the garaged car in the ACC position. No dead battery. Seems the auto shutoff is working good.

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
My biggest complaint is the Rock Hard eco tires. I'm going to adjust down to 33 from 37psi to see if they soften a touch
I don’t have a truck yet, is 37 recommended? Lowering psi will effect mpg and tire wear.

Sponsored

r100gs91

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cactus Grey Hybrid- XLT w/Lux-2021 BMW F900xr
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t have a truck yet, is 37 recommended? Lowering psi will effect mpg and tire wear.
33 psi is only two below the recommended amount.. Was running 37 psi as that was how it was delivered to me. Variety is the spice of life, even for cars and tires. Going to give it a try.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

First the good.

It handles pretty well..
It fits in my garage

Ok, now the bad..

Side note:
Some more background info would be helpful. How long have you owned it? How many miles have you put on it? What is the manufacture date on the truck?

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

TonyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've been driving 3 Ford Rangers for the past 32 years. My current one for 17 years. You might say my expectations will be modest at best as I am obviously not one to spend big bucks on pickup trucks. Regardless, the Maverick will be one hell of an upgrade for me. One I am looking forward to.
Yeah, this would be me. Except it's a 1998 Ford F-150. But it is the Lariat Edition so decent options.

TonyS

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Status
Not open for further replies.