Sponsored

1000 Mile Maverick Hybrid XLT Review (and I mostly hate it)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustBeltRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE Premium
So.. I have good and bad things to say about this thing..
And honestly i do like the concept, but i just don't care for the execution.
I went into this thing expecting a corolla level of build quality, and craftsmanship.
Understand i didn't expect supple leather seats, and 2in of thick sound proofing..
But.. i did expect to be in something comparable to a hybrid corolla or a prius.

First the good.

It's Genuinely amazing on fuel.
It's a good small car with a bed, and works well..
(Though I still think this should have been called the Ranchero)
It handles pretty well..
Mine is Alto-Blue and it's actually a sharp color
The paint quality is really good
The drive-train is well balanced for efficiency and power when needed.
The interior color scheme is a great way to make something cheap look more appealing.
It fits in my garage
It takes a lot less time to clean than the F150
I like the view down the hood when driving it.
even though it's a hybrid it's far less pretentious than a Prius.

Ok, now the bad..
The build quality compared to my Grand Marquis and F150 is appalling..
It honestly makes a new Base corolla look like a Lexus..
It's actually right on par with the VW GTI i owned.. Which was also built in Mexico.
(The door fell off at 13K miles)
All the Panels rattle and creek.. (it's worse when it's cold)
The windows are already slowing down when you roll them up..
The screen is junk, and honestly if it was a normal shape, in a normal dash hole, i could at least replace it.
The scissor seat design is stupid, the taller you are the more of a hole you sit in..
The lack of a standard rear sliding window means that open windows are constant wind buffering
The Eye glass holder isn't correctly molded so I have to bend it to open it.
The Gas engine is Pinging on regular unleaded, so i have to run high test or octane booster to get it to run right.
The steering wheel is de-laminating already, and the plastic/leather cover in the luxury package feels like the same material you would get on a coat at Walmart.
I can physically rock the wheel on the column when i grip it in both hands..
The front Strut mounts are plastic, and they rattle when the temp gets cold.. so you get a really unpleasant front end clunk that the only other vehicle i have driven that had that problem was my Uncle's 1987 Hyundai Excel when it was new'ish.
The Co-Pilot is a waste of money, as the Blindspot monitoring is selective, Sometimes it cares if a car is 15ft past your bumper, and when someone is right in your blind-spot, it doesn't' let you know..
It's all over the place on the highway, it is exhausting to drive on the highway..
The Lane keep is a good way to die, the car will actively try to push you into oncoming traffic..
Also having issues with dealership support, i had a tri-fold ford bed cover, and it was either made wrong, or there's a defect in the design, but it's been 3 weeks and I still can't get them to replace it or refund me the money.

Honestly wish i could get my Mercury or F150 back..
I would take the MPG hit.. even at 4.49 a gallon..

Side note:
Is there a For-Sale portion of this thread, as i am definitely selling this thing..
Sponsored

Dano

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XL EB/AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So.. I have good and bad things to say about this thing..
And honestly i do like the concept, but i just don't care for the execution.
I went into this thing expecting a corolla level of build quality, and craftsmanship.
Understand i didn't expect supple leather seats, and 2in of thick sound proofing..
But.. i did expect to be in something comparable to a hybrid corolla or a prius.

First the good.

It's Genuinely amazing on fuel.
It's a good small car with a bed, and works well..
(Though I still think this should have been called the Ranchero)
It handles pretty well..
Mine is Alto-Blue and it's actually a sharp color
The paint quality is really good
The drive-train is well balanced for efficiency and power when needed.
The interior color scheme is a great way to make something cheap look more appealing.
It fits in my garage
It takes a lot less time to clean than the F150
I like the view down the hood when driving it.
even though it's a hybrid it's far less pretentious than a Prius.

Ok, now the bad..
The build quality compared to my Grand Marquis and F150 is appalling..
It honestly makes a new Base corolla look like a Lexus..
It's actually right on par with the VW GTI i owned.. Which was also built in Mexico.
(The door fell off at 13K miles)
All the Panels rattle and creek.. (it's worse when it's cold)
The windows are already slowing down when you roll them up..
The screen is junk, and honestly if it was a normal shape, in a normal dash hole, i could at least replace it.
The scissor seat design is stupid, the taller you are the more of a hole you sit in..
The lack of a standard rear sliding window means that open windows are constant wind buffering
The Eye glass holder isn't correctly molded so I have to bend it to open it.
The Gas engine is Pinging on regular unleaded, so i have to run high test or octane booster to get it to run right.
The steering wheel is de-laminating already, and the plastic/leather cover in the luxury package feels like the same material you would get on a coat at Walmart.
I can physically rock the wheel on the column when i grip it in both hands..
The front Strut mounts are plastic, and they rattle when the temp gets cold.. so you get a really unpleasant front end clunk that the only other vehicle i have driven that had that problem was my Uncle's 1987 Hyundai Excel when it was new'ish.
The Co-Pilot is a waste of money, as the Blindspot monitoring is selective, Sometimes it cares if a car is 15ft past your bumper, and when someone is right in your blind-spot, it doesn't' let you know..
It's all over the place on the highway, it is exhausting to drive on the highway..
The Lane keep is a good way to die, the car will actively try to push you into oncoming traffic..
Also having issues with dealership support, i had a tri-fold ford bed cover, and it was either made wrong, or there's a defect in the design, but it's been 3 weeks and I still can't get them to replace it or refund me the money.

Honestly wish i could get my Mercury or F150 back..
I would take the MPG hit.. even at 4.49 a gallon..

Side note:
Is there a For-Sale portion of this thread, as i am definitely selling this thing..
Mavericks For Sale
Be sure to include your review!

OP
OP

RustBeltRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP

RustBeltRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This truck isn’t for everyone. Cool that you got it and got to experience it. Hopefully you can turn a profit on it still!
I am not really looking for a profit, i don't want to screw anyone over, ultimately when i post it for sale, it will be on what i paid for it, and that's it.. once they take the loan, or pay the loan, or transfer the loan, i could care less. I am not some D-Bag dealership trying to screw anyone.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That was constructive. I laughed at - " The lack of a standard rear sliding window means that open windows are constant wind buffering " which is something you COULD have purchased..... then we got a good dose of bitching about things I doubt are true - "All the Panels rattle and creek.." All of them ??? Really ? The steering wheel is de-laminating already - uhhuh.... I can physically rock the wheel on the column when i grip it in both hands - what telescopic tilt wheel wont ? Sell it and move on.

MaverIQ

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
sorry to hear about your experience but after 6 months of owning my XL Hybrid Mav I can't say that I've really experienced any of those things.

wondering if it's your specific Mav or if your cold weather location makes that big of a difference but for a $20K hybrid truck it personally EXCEEDED all of my expectations in every way from build quality, drivability, features and functions to outright enjoyment of ownership.

this is coming from someone who is a first time Ford owner that has owned over 10 different European/Japanese cars so I certainly have no bias towards Ford builds.

Jah.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jah.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick xlt fx4 , Honda 700 ctx mc
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It looks like he joined the mtc to sell a maverick .

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Interesting. Other than our current VW jetta (which we bought for $12k brand new, thanks to Dieselgate), all I've had my entire life are Toyotas and Hondas. Have you driven or even been in a late-model Corolla? There are two in my immediate family and I have driven them both multiple times. Not only is a base model corolla (not even the hybrid) more expensive than a base Maverick, but I think the build qualities are essentially equal. Frankly, I am shocked (a month and ~750 miles in) that this $20k hybrid pickup is this high quality. We were very concerned about our first Ford, let alone literally the cheapest truck and hybrid on the market, but initial impression are far better than we expected.

You are going to make some future Maverick owner really happy.

Sponsored

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The only thing I have experienced from that list is panel rattles. I think there are two that rattle/buzz at this point (3500 miles). My only other annoyance continues to be the hybrid brake, just not a smooth experience at all.

Scupking

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To me I think if the Mav like the good old xj jeep Cherokees. I had 2 of those a 94 and 99. Granted the 94 had an all soft touch interior. The 99 had a little more plastic. But they were cheap and fun little suvs.

ShadowChas

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know you won't have any problem selling it and hope you got all your "stress" out by writing on the forum :rolleyes: .

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I am pleasantly surprised that you have not received more harsh comments on your post. This seems to be a pretty positive Mav forum. No one even pointed out that the creek in "all" your doors is really a creak! Oops, I just did.... 🙂
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.