Sponsored

Brice

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
After 1,000 miles with my Maverick Saturday night, I wanted to share some honest thoughts. The options on the truck are: XLT with Lux, CoPilot 360, moonroof, spray-in bedliner, manual rear window, FX4, 4k tow, cab outlet, and all-weather floor mats. The good far outweighs the bad, but I’ll start with what’s not my favorite.

This was a dealer stock that I went to go test drive and just get a feel for it. At the time, there was only 1 Maverick within 100 miles of me and this was the one. It just so happened to be that it was almost the exact one I ordered. I ordered much of the same, but in a Lariat trim plus and minus some options. Still deciding on what to do with that one, now that it finally got scheduled 2 weeks ago...

What I am not as impressed with:

The engine is a bit “buzzy” and sort of loud – I get that it’s mainly due to the compression. I know there is no engine cover or hood insulation, but it’s still a little annoying. I’ve had an EcoBoost Fusion and it was nowhere near this noisy, but it did have an engine cover… I’ve seen the noise described as similar to the sound of a 2-stroke dirt bike and that’s the easiest way I could explain it.

The MPGs aren’t quite as good as I expected, though I’m sure they’ll improve as the vehicle gets broken in a little more. I am getting between 23-25 in the city and in SoCal traffic (80% of my driving) and 32 highway.

The touchscreen completely froze up on me about a week ago. Music was still playing as normal, but it was stuck on the same screen for a while. Turning off the vehicle and restarting did not work. On my break at work, I learned that pressing the “power on” button and the “fast forward” button simultaneously would do the trick. So, I went outside to try it, and it actually had reset itself and I never had to use this tactic. The screen has been fine ever since.

Another thing I noticed (and this could be because I haven’t fully read the manual yet) is that, when the phone is plugged into the USB for CarPlay, the radio can still play, but you cannot see the main home screen to see the station number unless you unplug the phone from the USB.

The transmission really likes to shift. It’s not harsh shifting, it just wants to shift – a lot.

The blind spots are very prominent, so the 360 monitoring in the mirror is really helpful.

The windshield is definitely small. The 360 pushes the rear view mirror down so it’s practically in the middle of the windshield, and when you bring the visor down, it really limits visibility.

Many of the things that have really impressed me (there are a lot more than what I've listed here):

The ride is super smooth and sporty. Some people have said the steering feels heavy, but I just don’t feel that way, though I am coming from a 2012 Edge… It feels sporty like a car, but firm like a truck or SUV.

The truck has tons of power and always wants to be on the move.

The Area 51 has impressed me a lot. I wasn’t sure if I’d like it, but I actually like it a lot. It seems to me that the paint color tries to mimic the sky – if it’s a sunny day, the paint is a lot lighter and bluer; if it’s cloudy or dark, the paint is darker and the gray comes through more. The blue in the sun is not as baby blue as pictures show.

I have not towed anything yet as I wanted to be sure it is properly broken in first.

The interior is very comfortable. There is plenty of room and the spaciousness was really well thought through by Ford.

Just looking at the truck, it does seem small, but when you sit inside, it feels a lot bigger than it looks from the outside.

Overall, I love the truck and I can tell Ford put a lot of thought into it. Here’s to hoping these trucks hold up the way they seem to so far. The hype is worth it!

Ford Maverick 1,000 Mile XLT Owner's Review 1kmiles
Ford Maverick 1,000 Mile XLT Owner's Review int
Ford Maverick 1,000 Mile XLT Owner's Review rightside
Sponsored

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks for your review! Hearing your thoughts on visibility makes me glad I got 360. Keep enjoying your Mav!

Bushpilot

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Volt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The blue in the sun is not as baby blue as pictures show.
Yes! This has been one of my concerns with Area-51, but it is what my wife chose.

I am looking forward to seeing one someday...

marpolsdofer

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Dodge Dakota 5.2L, 96 Geo Prizm 1.8L
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now that you bring the part up about the rear view mirror and visor. My wife's car is a Camry with that stuff. Now that I think about it has the same problem.

Sponsored

Brian_J

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 R6, HPR Maverick AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
For fuel milage, you are getting exactly what they said you would in the city, and even better on the highway. That doesn’t seem bad to me.

can you share which modes you have been driving in?

can you expand on the blind spots more? Where they are/ how big they are?

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
About the engine noise. Is this a hybrid? Disappointed in visibility. Was hoping this one would buck the trend.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
About the engine noise. Is this a hybrid? Disappointed in visibility. Was hoping this one would buck the trend.
There are 0 consumer hybrids as of today. The okay to buy them is December 8th.

I thought the opposite on visibility (test drive) of the OP. I also opted out of the 360 to gain additionally windshield space.

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The MPGs aren’t quite as good as I expected, though I’m sure they’ll improve as the vehicle gets broken in a little more. I am getting between 23-25 in the city and in SoCal traffic (80% of my driving) and 32 highway.
This is almost exactly what EPA and Ford predicted, if not better. What were you expecting?

Sponsored

TruckVille

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue, 4K Tow, Luxury Package, Flux Capacitor
Good looking truck, and nice review! Let us know how the AWD works if you ever get to test it where you live :). Also, let us know how it tows when you get it broken in.

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
There are 0 consumer hybrids as of today. The okay to buy them is December 8th.

I thought the opposite on visibility (test drive) of the OP. I also opted out of the 360 to gain additionally windshield space.
the mirror so close to the dash, never seen anyhting like this. what is your experience with the visibility?

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
the mirror so close to the dash, never seen anyhting like this. what is your experience with the visibility?
If you get copilot 360 the mirror is lowered closer to the dash and big black box takes up forward visibility. I opted out of it for that reason. I thought the side mirrors were adequate and I could see everything around me with no blind spots.

I also wanted the blind spot corner mirrors over the “dot” that you get with the 360. I could see everything all around me.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
What I am not as impressed with:

The touchscreen completely froze up on me about a week ago. Music was still playing as normal, but it was stuck on the same screen for a while. Turning off the vehicle and restarting did not work. On my break at work, I learned that pressing the “power on” button and the “fast forward” button simultaneously would do the trick. So, I went outside to try it, and it actually had reset itself and I never had to use this tactic. The screen has been fine ever since.

The transmission really likes to shift. It’s not harsh shifting, it just wants to shift – a lot.
Interesting. Buggy touchscreen systems seem to occur across many product lines. My Honda CR-V over a couple years has done what you describe too many times for me to count. Irritating but fixable.

Have wondered how long it would take for people to comment on the 2.0 EB auto trans. This 8 speed (7 speed?) tranny sounds like it has some characteristics of Ford's 10R in newer F150's. The 10R is "funky" at times regards shift points and skipping gears, but once I got used to it it didn't bother me, and I haven't had to have the tranny re-flashed like some F150 owners do. Once the adaptive learning system "learns" your driving style hopefully issues will diminish.

This article references some 8F35 "quirks".
The New Ford 8F35 8-speed Transmission (advancedtransmission.com)
Ford Maverick 1,000 Mile XLT Owner's Review 8f35.JPG