Sponsored

1,000 mile no towing break-in period

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Owners manual says not to tow before 1,000 miles. I have the 4k package and have an under 2k short distance tow to do this weekend and now second guessing if I should do it.

I’ve never towed with a new truck so curious to hear opinions on how damaging it could be or if it’s more a guideline to discourage people to go up and down mountain passes with a full load.
Sponsored

Jasperw229

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jasper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 22, Lariat fx4, 4k tow
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Break-in period is a wildly debated topic.
You'll easily find many different answers to your question if you search.
Under 2000 pounds sounds like a light load to me as long as you aren't flooring it all over the place.

TCK

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Do newer engines with such tight clearances really need a break in period? I know I broke in old 200 I6’s and vintage 302’s (and my Harley which is a tractor engine), but I have never worried about a modern engine. Worth looking into I reckon

OP
OP

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Break-in period is a wildly debated topic.
You'll easily find many different answers to your question if you search.
Under 2000 pounds sounds like a light load to me as long as you aren't flooring it all over the place.
You are right, it does seem like there are lots of varying opinions. I wasn’t able find much specifically related to towing during the break in period. I’m not a mechanical expert so didn’t know if there were any different risks to consider towing in the first 1k miles vs driving 85mph on cruise control for a long period of time.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You've got the 4k tow package, towing under 2k for a short distance. I'd say unless you're taking it up a mountain pass you'll be fine as long as you don't put the skinny pedal on the floor.
Sponsored