1,000 mile no towing break-in period

fordtruckguy

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Trim
XLT
Owners manual says not to tow before 1,000 miles. I have the 4k package and have an under 2k short distance tow to do this weekend and now second guessing if I should do it.

I’ve never towed with a new truck so curious to hear opinions on how damaging it could be or if it’s more a guideline to discourage people to go up and down mountain passes with a full load.
Advertisement

Jasperw229

Lariat
First Name
Jasper
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru impreza 2017
Trim
Lariat
Break-in period is a wildly debated topic.
You'll easily find many different answers to your question if you search.
Under 2000 pounds sounds like a light load to me as long as you aren't flooring it all over the place.

TCK

XLT
First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetta Sportwagen
Trim
XLT
Do newer engines with such tight clearances really need a break in period? I know I broke in old 200 I6’s and vintage 302’s (and my Harley which is a tractor engine), but I have never worried about a modern engine. Worth looking into I reckon

OP
OP

fordtruckguy

XLT
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Trim
XLT
Break-in period is a wildly debated topic.
You'll easily find many different answers to your question if you search.
Under 2000 pounds sounds like a light load to me as long as you aren't flooring it all over the place.
You are right, it does seem like there are lots of varying opinions. I wasn’t able find much specifically related to towing during the break in period. I’m not a mechanical expert so didn’t know if there were any different risks to consider towing in the first 1k miles vs driving 85mph on cruise control for a long period of time.

Big_T

XL
First Name
T
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler (already sold)
Trim
XL
Vehicle Showcase
You've got the 4k tow package, towing under 2k for a short distance. I'd say unless you're taking it up a mountain pass you'll be fine as long as you don't put the skinny pedal on the floor.

Advertisement

Advertisement