pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One problem here is that this chart is pretty incomplete when it comes to features.

For example, a loaded Santa Cruz has a lot of things that aren't mentioned in the spreadsheet.

It has a more advanced turbocharged engine that not only is more powerful but is both port and fuel injected so won't carbon foul like the Ford ecoboost inevitably will, an advanced wet-clutch DCT which is more sporty than the frankensteined 8-speed rescue attempt that Ford did on the poorly developed GM-9 speed that is in the ecoboost versions, rear passenger vents, ventilated leather instead of unvented pleather seats, a self-leveling suspension, soft touch all over the place in the front whereas almost nothing is soft touch on the Ford, the latest and greatest 10.25" infotainment system and huge fully digital dash using an advanced screen that doesn't require a glare hood compared to a last generation small Sync 3, higher resolution cameras, turning the blinker on turns gauges in the dash into side view cameras for safer lane changes, it has unique features like the ability to park using the keyfob from outside the vehicle, a damped tailgate, digital key, heated mirrors with integrated turn signals, 1000lb higher tow rating, accent lighting like LED brake lights that extend into the tailgate and black chrome stealth multi-point DRLs instead of merely a simple strip above the headlights and headlights that are more advanced projector vs reflector, a "brunk" in the bed, an interior floor that with a couple bolts can be a larger loading space than the Maverick that's fixed in place and with a bigger hump, a much longer warranty, etc.

Even if you compare something like a Ford Fusion against a Lincoln MKZ, while they may appear very similar on paper since the Lincoln is just a jazzed up Fusion, you can see in person they spent a lot more money on a lot of details which bumps the price $10K.

Whether its a better VALUE or is even a style you like is another story, but I just wanted to chime in that while a SC Limited is hugely expensive, its certainly a more feature rich and premium vehicle than a Maverick Lariat. So while you can certainly rule out trims that are out of your price range with the announcement, don't make decisions without driving and sitting in both vehicles so you can listen to the stereo and the road noise and the steering wheel feel and the like, as those don't show up on paper.
So...its like the lincoln version of the small truck segment? They stopped selling those a decade ago...and sold like a thousand a month.

I do think all the tech is cool, and If there were 1 thing that would have pushed me up to a lariat it would have been ventilated seats (had those once...man are they nice!). To me if you want to restart an old segment, you can't beat building practical and at a broadly perceived value. The Maverick wins on both of those accounts.
Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So...its like the lincoln version of the small truck segment? They stopped selling those a decade ago...and sold like a thousand a month.

I do think all the tech is cool, and If there were 1 thing that would have pushed me up to a lariat it would have been ventilated seats (had those once...man are they nice!). To me if you want to restart an old segment, you can't beat building practical and at a broadly perceived value. The Maverick wins on both of those accounts.
The top trim, yes, but they priced the Santa Cruz over a very wide range and SC did cover the value segment, and that requires a deep dive into a "use-case" scenario.

So almost nobody is buying the Maverick XL, which basically exists along with the industry's highest destination fee in order to market "The Maverick starts at under $20K", and are buying XLTs for very basic features the XL lacks.

So lets say that you need a small AWD pickup that has basic cruise control and can tow your 3K pound boat.

That would be a Santa Cruz SE AWD w/ tow package for 3.5K tow rating for $27,125 which still has a lot of things standard (some of which the Maverick can't even get) such as a upscale soft touch interior, lockable composite bed with "brunk" and integrated rear bumper side-steps, wireless AndroidAuto/Carplay, LED taillamps and cargo area lighting, rear privacy glass, rear climate vents, 18" alloy wheels, body-colored side mirrors, power locking damped tailgate, rear 60/40 flip up lower cushions, larger and removable rear cabin underfloor storage, rear occupant alert, more reclined rear seating, driver attention warning, lane keep/following assist, intelligent speed limit warning, and leading vehicle departure alert. Fuel economy is 21 city/ 27 highway / 23 combined.

For the Maverick to be similarly equipped, we're looking at a XLT AWD with tow package, toolbox swing case (closest analog to lockable underfloor storage on SC), bed lighting, and a spray in bed liner (because while a composite bed is fine raw, a painted steel bed isn't really) for $28,800. On the downside, we're now $1,675 more expensive than the Santa Cruz, interior is still cheaper hard plastics, and the engine is direct injection only instead of direct and multiport (self-cleaning) like the SC, but we do get 60hp extra power, 500lbs extra tow capacity, and LED headlights. Fuel economy is likely similar to the Bronco Sport which is 21 city / 26 highway/ 23 combined.

Some may prefer the extra performance of the Maverick comparing those two, while others may prefer to pocket the near $1700 price difference and enjoy some of those extra standard features on the SC and a 10 year 100K mile powertrain and 5 year 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty vs the Maverick's 5 year 60K mile powertrain and 3 year 36K mile bumper to bumper warranty (granted you can purchase additional warranty for the Maverick, but that would likely add another $2000+).

The devil is in the details!

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
One problem here is that this chart is pretty incomplete when it comes to features.

For example, a loaded Santa Cruz has a lot of things that aren't mentioned in the spreadsheet.

It has a more advanced turbocharged engine that not only is more powerful but is both port and fuel injected so won't carbon foul like the Ford ecoboost inevitably will, an advanced wet-clutch DCT which is more sporty than the frankensteined 8-speed rescue attempt that Ford did on the poorly developed GM-9 speed that is in the ecoboost versions, rear passenger vents, ventilated leather instead of unvented pleather seats, a self-leveling suspension, soft touch all over the place in the front whereas almost nothing is soft touch on the Ford, the latest and greatest 10.25" infotainment system and huge fully digital dash using an advanced screen that doesn't require a glare hood compared to a last generation small Sync 3, higher resolution cameras, turning the blinker on turns gauges in the dash into side view cameras for safer lane changes, it has unique features like the ability to park using the keyfob from outside the vehicle, a damped tailgate, digital key, heated mirrors with integrated turn signals, 1000lb higher tow rating, accent lighting like LED brake lights that extend into the tailgate and black chrome stealth multi-point DRLs instead of merely a simple strip above the headlights and headlights that are more advanced projector vs reflector, a "brunk" in the bed, an interior floor that with a couple bolts can be a larger loading space than the Maverick that's fixed in place and with a bigger hump, a much longer warranty, etc.

Even if you compare something like a Ford Fusion against a Lincoln MKZ, while they may appear very similar on paper since the Lincoln is just a jazzed up Fusion, you can see in person they spent a lot more money on a lot of details which bumps the price $10K.

Whether its a better VALUE or is even a style you like is another story, but I just wanted to chime in that while a SC Limited is hugely expensive, its certainly a more feature rich and premium vehicle than a Maverick Lariat. So while you can certainly rule out trims that are out of your price range with the announcement, don't make decisions without driving and sitting in both vehicles so you can listen to the stereo and the road noise and the steering wheel feel and the like, as those don't show up on paper.
all stuff I can totally live without in my runabout vehicle and would never pay for. All I want is a basic compact truck with good reliability and driving manners that can haul my trailers and bikes and occasional dirty loads in the bed (instead of INSIDE my SUV) for a reasonable price. I don't need a technology lab in the cab- all driving distraction stuff by the way- and they can market to people who were born with cell phones available and never learned how to drive a stick shift or change a spare tire growing up :p

Anyone here ever heard of the K.I.S.S. principal?

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
All I want is a basic compact truck with good reliability and driving manners that can haul my trailers and bikes and occasional dirty loads in the bed (instead of INSIDE my SUV) for a reasonable price.
Ditto, I'm pretty sure I'm going with a simple XLT FWD hybrid w/ just Ford 360 and spray in bedliner and hitch and calling it a day. I just wanted to play devil's advocate and point out that the spreadsheet wasn't capturing everything, and with certain use-cases the SC is actually cheaper.

CASD57

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz
Engine
Undecided
I can see that the SC SE is pretty equal to the Base XLT ...But the add-ons and Models add up quick on the SC but I do like the $1500 AWD drive option over the Maverick... I think as a lot of people have said it all depends on your needs and what you want to see in your drive way.....A truck W/SUV ability or a SUV w/Truck ability... I like both and for me it will probably end up what arrives first and isn't complicated by the Dealers BS

Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ditto, I'm pretty sure I'm going with a simple XLT FWD hybrid w/ just Ford 360 and spray in bedliner and hitch and calling it a day. I just wanted to play devil's advocate and point out that the spreadsheet wasn't capturing everything, and with certain use-cases the SC is actually cheaper.

I'm going simple for my needs too: XL with 2.0L/AWD, 4k tow, spray in bed liner, full size spare, locking tailgate hinge, all weather floor liners set (I would buy aftermarket anyways) for $26,365. Comes in less than I budgeted and more features than I expected for this price (y)

Rxturbo7man

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ranger, 87 RX7 TII, 10th AE Miata, 22 CX-5
Engine
Undecided
they were banking on the Honda name and reputation to sell it, even at a premium. I'm betting some people in Honda's brain trust even hoped they could use it as a foundation to spin off their own truck division if the original idea was successful. Competitors such as Toyota and Nissan both have passenger car and luxury brands and a truck division in their enterprise- but not Honda.
Don't think the Ridgeline's styling has helped, certainly gets good reviews.....granted not for off-road, etc.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some people are making a big deal out of the soft touch surfaces in the SC. I’m sure when reviews start hitting print or the web the Maverick will get dinged for its hard surfaces. I LIKE the hard surfaces, easier to clean and no gouged or torn upholstery from loading or just general use. I just sold my 21 year old 262k miles Subaru that had bad reviews in the day for its hard interior surfaces; that interior looked almost new 21 years later (it however did not have the new car smell 😊).

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The top trim, yes, but they priced the Santa Cruz over a very wide range and SC did cover the value segment, and that requires a deep dive into a "use-case" scenario.

So almost nobody is buying the Maverick XL, which basically exists along with the industry's highest destination fee in order to market "The Maverick starts at under $20K", and are buying XLTs for very basic features the XL lacks.

So lets say that you need a small AWD pickup that has basic cruise control and can tow your 3K pound boat.

That would be a Santa Cruz SE AWD w/ tow package for 3.5K tow rating for $27,125 which still has a lot of things standard (some of which the Maverick can't even get) such as a upscale soft touch interior, lockable composite bed with "brunk" and integrated rear bumper side-steps, wireless AndroidAuto/Carplay, LED taillamps and cargo area lighting, rear privacy glass, rear climate vents, 18" alloy wheels, body-colored side mirrors, power locking damped tailgate, rear 60/40 flip up lower cushions, larger and removable rear cabin underfloor storage, rear occupant alert, more reclined rear seating, driver attention warning, lane keep/following assist, intelligent speed limit warning, and leading vehicle departure alert. Fuel economy is 21 city/ 27 highway / 23 combined.

For the Maverick to be similarly equipped, we're looking at a XLT AWD with tow package, toolbox swing case (closest analog to lockable underfloor storage on SC), bed lighting, and a spray in bed liner (because while a composite bed is fine raw, a painted steel bed isn't really) for $28,800. On the downside, we're now $1,675 more expensive than the Santa Cruz, interior is still cheaper hard plastics, and the engine is direct injection only instead of direct and multiport (self-cleaning) like the SC, but we do get 60hp extra power, 500lbs extra tow capacity, and LED headlights. Fuel economy is likely similar to the Bronco Sport which is 21 city / 26 highway/ 23 combined.

Some may prefer the extra performance of the Maverick comparing those two, while others may prefer to pocket the near $1700 price difference and enjoy some of those extra standard features on the SC and a 10 year 100K mile powertrain and 5 year 60K mile bumper to bumper warranty vs the Maverick's 5 year 60K mile powertrain and 3 year 36K mile bumper to bumper warranty (granted you can purchase additional warranty for the Maverick, but that would likely add another $2000+).

The devil is in the details!
Nobody will be buying the XL? Wait until you see how a very base level Maverick sells to fleet buyers. Perfect little work truck for many applications.

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nobody will be buying the XL? Wait until you see how a very base level Maverick sells to fleet buyers. Perfect little work truck for many applications.
Agreed. And not just fleet buyers. I ordered an XL (with a few options) because it does everything that I want, at a very reasonable price. It'll pull my small sailboat, haul my bikes, seat 5 people, carry stuff from Home Depot, etc.--all while achieving 40 MPG. Part of the joy of buying an inexpensive truck is the "inexpensive" part. Those who want more can spend more, which is great. But I hope that people don't forget buyers like me, of which I expect there will be many.

Sponsored

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone posted pre-order info, and XL's made up <10% IIRC. I can definitely see government fleets and the like picking them up en masse, but most people walking into a dealership are going to step up to XLTs which will make up the bulk of sales. Its like when Jeep started selling barebones Renegades with manual transmissions and no air conditioners, sure some bought them, but they were really just created for advertising purposes and their production levels were low.

JASmith

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Some people are making a big deal out of the soft touch surfaces in the SC. I’m sure when reviews start hitting print or the web the Maverick will get dinged for its hard surfaces. I LIKE the hard surfaces, easier to clean and no gouged or torn upholstery from loading or just general use. I just sold my 21 year old 262k miles Subaru that had bad reviews in the day for its hard interior surfaces; that interior looked almost new 21 years later (it however did not have the new car smell 😊).
Yeah, they are more tolerant of abuse, but they have soft touch materials now that last as well. I drove a 2022 Tucson Limited and the interior really is impressive, you should try it out before deciding. I haven't sat a Maverick yet, but I have sat a Bronco Sport and you can definitely tell there was money saved there.

The only concern I have with the Tucson/SC interior is not the soft touch surfaces, but the gloss black. It quickly looks dirty and is easy to create swirl marks on. Maverick has some gloss black too, but not nearly as much.

CACTI_HYBRID

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone posted pre-order info, and XL's made up <10% IIRC. I can definitely see government fleets and the like picking them up en masse, but most people walking into a dealership are going to step up to XLTs which will make up the bulk of sales. Its like when Jeep started selling barebones Renegades with manual transmissions and no air conditioners, sure some bought them, but they were really just created for advertising purposes and their production levels were low.
That's exactly the market I was thinking - government, contractors, delivery companies, utilities, etc. Sure, private individuals will likely want more whistles and bells and step up to an XLT or even a Lariat. But they buy one truck. A fleet buyer might buy dozens or in the case of a government agency, hundreds.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Biden was promising to go EV on the entire Federal gov't fleet, and some of the Green New Deal people pushing the massive infrastructure spending programs will be only too happy to hold him to that and provide the funding for it.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Biden was promising to go EV on the entire Federal gov't fleet, and some of the Green New Deal people pushing the massive infrastructure spending programs will be only too happy to hold him to that and provide the funding for it.
Please, please, let’s keep politics out of this forum.
Sponsored