First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Engine
Undecided
I was pushed back to for the second time.

Originally scheduled for 3/6 on Jan 12. Then 3/20 last week, now 3/27.

Was hoping to get it by summer so it is still on track for that.

New September order for Eco/XLT/Lux/360. Maybe they are trying to make the rolled over orders first.
Sponsored

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Allocations are assigned monthly so a dealer won't know what they annual allocation is when they take orders. Granted, they have a full year history so if they only got 10 allocations last year, they shouldn't expect for it to go to 100 this year.

Still think allocations are a joke for retail orders. These are already guaranteed sales so it won't be extra merchandise sitting on lots waiting for buyers. The only reason they wouldn't have a buyer already is because the person got tired of waiting 10 months for the allocation and moved on.
Allocations are fluid to a degree. But Dealers usually have an idea what they can expect to get built out of their order bank several weeks ahead of time. While "last years" sales are a factor, there are others that can help or hurt. Add a production line? That means Dealer allocation increases and will be spread out to them. Plant on strike that makes transmissions? Well, sorry, but those 3 allocations with that transmission won't be built....Then there is the " If you will order 15 of these for stock I will give you 3 more Mavericks" says the Ford zone rep....

If a smaller dealer won't stock slower selling model lines, or just stocks enough of good selling models to get by, why should they be "EQUAL" to all other dealers when it comes to sold retail orders? The allocation system actually works rather well. While everyone knows a Maverick is almost certainly a "sold retail order", there are a LOT of other models ordered by customers at dealers. If you as a dealer have EARNED the allocation by selling Ford product, why should a dealer that has no allocation be able to sell a sold order ahead of yours?

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was pushed back to for the second time.

Originally scheduled for 3/6 on Jan 12. Then 3/20 last week, now 3/27.

Was hoping to get it by summer so it is still on track for that.

New September order for Eco/XLT/Lux/360. Maybe they are trying to make the rolled over orders first.
Profile does not show. Are you and EcoBoost?

B2000

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
B2000
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Allocations are fluid to a degree. But Dealers usually have an idea what they can expect to get built out of their order bank several weeks ahead of time. While "last years" sales are a factor, there are others that can help or hurt. Add a production line? That means Dealer allocation increases and will be spread out to them. Plant on strike that makes transmissions? Well, sorry, but those 3 allocations with that transmission won't be built....Then there is the " If you will order 15 of these for stock I will give you 3 more Mavericks" says the Ford zone rep....

If a smaller dealer won't stock slower selling model lines, or just stocks enough of good selling models to get by, why should they be "EQUAL" to all other dealers when it comes to sold retail orders? The allocation system actually works rather well. While everyone knows a Maverick is almost certainly a "sold retail order", there are a LOT of other models ordered by customers at dealers. If you as a dealer have EARNED the allocation by selling Ford product, why should a dealer that has no allocation be able to sell a sold order ahead of yours?
I think this is more how it works. Allocations could be based on many factors including how much business goes through Ford finance, extended warranty sales, parts and service- anything that makes Ford money. I know dealers have been rewarded for all of these things plus selling those hard to sell models. Some dealers also just have better relationships with regional sales and service managers- there is still a human element.

Dealers are independent businesses- not the sales arm of Ford and Ford cannot tell them what to do. Allocations are one control. In the past manufacturers would hand out dollars for advertising, salesperson spiffs, etc. to move product but now there is probably none of that needed.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I had Tim's livestream on while I was just mindlessly playing Xbox last night. He spoke a good deal about how the process works. Part of it is how well a particular vehicle class sells in an area is factored as well as how well a dealer does. So, for instance, a dealership in Texas will get more pick-ups while a dealer in California will get more EVs simply because that is how those local markets generally operate. It sucks if you live in Texas and want an EV or California and want a truck. But dealerships can work their way to getting favorable allocation numbers as Tim's dealership has done with EVs despite their more rural (aka non-green) market.

Also, he did say Ford admitted to dealerships they screwed up the Maverick allocation estimates. Dealerships were supposed to know their annual allotments before order banks opened so that dealerships would only take that many. Good dealerships knew about how many they could expect assuming flat growth and only took that many.

It will likely impact hybrid orders more as that is where the vast overage is. Ford is doing their best to make it right, but at the end of the day the Laws of Physics wins. Ford can only make so many trucks at a time.

Sponsored

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That model should work for STOCK orders, but not for retail. All it does is penalize the buyer because he chose to go to his local small-town mom and pop Ford dealer who isn't expected to get many.

Why should a dealer with no allocation be able to sell a sold order ahead of yours? Because that order was placed before yours! It's not rocket science. That is what people on this forum hate the most about the system. I've been waiting since October 2021 for my Maverick. There are plenty who ordered in September 22 with a similar build who are scheduled and/or built already. Why? Because of the stupid allocation system. Even at my own dealership it screwed me.

There is a member on here who ordered at the same dealer as me one day before me. The only difference between the builds is his was an XLT Lux and mine was a Lariat Lux. Sure there are a couple extra chips on a Lariat Lux, but not an extreme difference. His was scheduled Feb 2022 and received it in April. Mine wasn't scheduled until August 2022 and then was eventually canceled.

TLDR; Ford's system sucks

Last edited:

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I picked the wrong dealer when I ordered. 12 out of 20 (within 40 miles) showing in inventory (Ford.com) are at one dealer that is about 12 miles from me. The dealer I used (5 miles away) shows none. Out of the 20 showing, most look like stripped down white XLs, but surprisingly, 12 of the 20 are hybrid, and only 8 are ecoboost.

Last edited:

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That model should work for STOCK orders, but not for retail. All it does is penalize the buyer because he chose to go to his local small-town mom and pop Ford dealer who isn't expected to get many.

Why should a dealer with no allocation be able to sell a sold order ahead of yours? Because that order was placed before yours! It's not rocket science. That is what people on this forum hate the most about the system. I've been waiting since October 2021 for my Maverick. There are plenty who ordered in September 22 with a similar build who are scheduled and/or built already. Why? Because of the stupid allocation system. Even at my own dealership it screwed me.
The only problem I have is that the first in orders are not getting built....first. Ford should have been building nothing but rollover 2022 orders this 2023 model year until those were fulfilled.

What many don't see here is that too many dealers put in stock orders...AS RETAIL in hopes of getting them built ahead of other orders.

A dealer with no allocation won't be selling sold retail orders over another sold retail order or a stock order. They are not getting either, so they can only sell one if they are awarded an allocation for one or more.

Small dealers might offer just as good a chance at getting a Maverick as larger ones. Sure big dealer A has 15 Mavericks allocated this month. Mom and Pop has 2. But dealer A also has 250 retail orders in the bank where Mom and Pop has 20. All depends on how many orders are held AND WHERE THE DEALER PUTS YOU IN LINE! You may be first in but if they want to favor another ahead of you, you may never even realize that.

Bottom line is the Maverick is a red hot product. I started to put in an order at a different dealer but decided against that. Now...I wish I had. We all want OUR Maverick now. Everything looks like it is going against us. But for the most part, things are going well enough. With the exception of the rollover orders that is......

jesemd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Allocations are assigned monthly so a dealer won't know what they annual allocation is when they take orders. Granted, they have a full year history so if they only got 10 allocations last year, they shouldn't expect for it to go to 100 this year.

Still think allocations are a joke for retail orders. These are already guaranteed sales so it won't be extra merchandise sitting on lots waiting for buyers. The only reason they wouldn't have a buyer already is because the person got tired of waiting 10 months for the allocation and moved on.
They have some idea, maybe +/- 10 or 20% what they will have. Even LM says they have more orders than allocations.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think I picked the wrong dealer when I ordered. 12 out of 20 (within 40 miles) showing in inventory (Ford.com) are at one dealer that is about 10 miles from me. The dealer I used (5 miles away) shows none. Out of the 20 showing, most look like stripped down white XLs, but surprisingly, 12 of the 20 are hybrid, and only 8 are ecoboost.
Ford.com might not have the best info. It shows the same with only the larger dealership here having stock as well: white fleet XLs. But when you go to the dealership's actual website, you see actual inventory of Mavericks. In fact, my dealership has seven, three appear to be Lariat and the other four XLT, based on the features listed. However, I don't think any of them have arrived yet as most of their listed VINs are in line with January scheduling and the last one just showed up this morning with a Feb/Mar VIN.

All are EB, BTW.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I picked the wrong dealer when I ordered. 12 out of 20 (within 40 miles) showing in inventory (Ford.com) are at one dealer that is about 10 miles from me. The dealer I used (5 miles away) shows none. Out of the 20 showing, most look like stripped down white XLs, but surprisingly, 12 of the 20 are hybrid, and only 8 are ecoboost.
When you do searches for Mavericks on places like Autotrader, Edmonds, True Car, etc. they will show Mavericks in numbers that surprise you.
Don't get your hopes up. There are systems in place where these outlets draw inventory numbers/specs out of the dealers inventory. Vehicles shown are often legitimate retail orders that have been sold already or still in transit. Fleet orders will show up. But very few shown are actually available for sale! Make a call or e-mail these dealers and confirm.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford.com might not have the best info. It shows the same with only the larger dealership here having stock as well: white fleet XLs. But when you go to the dealership's actual website, you see actual inventory of Mavericks. In fact, my dealership has seven, three appear to be Lariat and the other four XLT, based on the features listed. However, I don't think any of them have arrived yet as most of their listed VINs are in line with January scheduling and the last one just showed up this morning with a Feb/Mar VIN.

All are EB, BTW.
I check the dealer's websites as well. Mine hasn't shown any all year, but I don't check every day...

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
When you do searches for Mavericks on places like Autotrader, Edmonds, True Car, etc. they will show Mavericks in numbers that surprise you.
Don't get your hopes up. There are systems in place where these outlets draw inventory numbers/specs out of the dealers inventory. Vehicles shown are often legitimate retail orders that have been sold already or still in transit. Fleet orders will show up. But very few shown are actually available for sale! Make a call or e-mail these dealers and confirm.
I was referring to only Ford.com's inventory search. I realize most of those orders are already sold, I'm just using it to see what dealers are getting allocations. Unfortunately, mine is not seeing many or any at all. My point was, there is one dealer a little further away that seems to get the majority of allocations out of the dealers within 20 miles of me.

I chose the dealer that was a 5 mile drive over the one that was a 12 mile drive because I went at lunch time during the brief window of the order banks being open. I couldn't get there over the weekend because I was camping with the Scouts, and then I heard rumors of the order banks being closed much earlier than expected, so I ran out on Monday at noon to the closest dealer...Hopefully, since I ordered an EB, it will get built eventually, but I might have been scheduled already if I had gone to the other dealership.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The only problem I have is that the first in orders are not getting built....first. Ford should have been building nothing but rollover 2022 orders this 2023 model year until those were fulfilled.

What many don't see here is that too many dealers put in stock orders...AS RETAIL in hopes of getting them built ahead of other orders.

A dealer with no allocation won't be selling sold retail orders over another sold retail order or a stock order. They are not getting either, so they can only sell one if they are awarded an allocation for one or more.

Small dealers might offer just as good a chance at getting a Maverick as larger ones. Sure big dealer A has 15 Mavericks allocated this month. Mom and Pop has 2. But dealer A also has 250 retail orders in the bank where Mom and Pop has 20. All depends on how many orders are held AND WHERE THE DEALER PUTS YOU IN LINE! You may be first in but if they want to favor another ahead of you, you may never even realize that.

Bottom line is the Maverick is a red hot product. I started to put in an order at a different dealer but decided against that. Now...I wish I had. We all want OUR Maverick now. Everything looks like it is going against us. But for the most part, things are going well enough. With the exception of the rollover orders that is......
Of which I am one... I placed two orders in 2022, one with my local dealer and one with Chapman in PA who offered 3% below invoice. The local one was scheduled and canceled and is now built awaiting shipping...after plenty of new orders have already been built. My Chapman order ended up being a rollover order. There were about 20-30 rollover hybrids with them and they still haven't all been scheduled. I don't think I will ever see that one.

I know for the 2022 Maverick, they weren't allowing dealers to place stock hybrid orders, only Ecos. Don't if that changed for 2023.
Sponsored