Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A mysterious Ford Maverick prototype has reappeared on the streets of Dearborn, showing a new higher-clearance front bumper design and camo-wrapped body work. This latest look gives us some of our best views of its redesigned bumper, and raises more questions with some curious test equipment.

Higher-Clearance Front Bumper Design On Display
The Maverick prototype’s new front-bumper suggests more off-road intent, with a new design that looks like it will drastically improve approach angles compared to the rather square-jawed bumper that’s found across the board on all Maverick trims. Phony corner caps are installed on the bumper to hide the new design, but the new central skid plate is clearly visible, and looks off-road-ready.

Full-Body Camouflage
This Maverick has everything below the door handles covered in camouflage—a marked changed from earlier Maverick prototypes which left their lower rockers, side sills and bumper details fully uncovered once the Maverick moved into the graphic camo stage. It appears that new trim treatment will extend beyond the trail-friendly front bumper, and bring changes throughout the Maverick’s design.

The prototype looks like it starts with an FX4, and appears to build from there. The ride height looks increased, and it rides on more aggressive 23565R17 Falken Wildpeak A/T tires.

Curious Warning
The prototype is wearing a sticker that reads: “Caution: Shift By Wire, Follow Special Instructions To Transport Vehicle.” We’re not sure exactly how this transmission may differ from the initial Maverick offerings, but it’s curious that it should appear on a prototype well after the Maverick has been in the hands of its various test drivers. Why the special warning at this stage?

Curious Cabling and Test Gear
This latest prototype has bundles of cables which appear to start underneath, near the front of the Maverick’s cab, and eventually lead to the rear door on the driver’s side. The wires go into a large junction box screwed into the door. The rear door handle is taped over with orange, suggesting some kind of warning. Perhaps the door is inoperable due to the connected cables. It must be noted that the door handle is taped with bright orange tape—which usually points to high-voltage warnings on hybrid/EV test vehicles. This prototype shows its independent rear suspension, which shows it's not a Maverick Hybrid—at least in the current state of the Maverick lineup. The current Maverick Hybrid gets a simpler Twist Beam rear suspension design, while this IRS-fitted prototype suggests AWD, and an EcoBoost engine. The unique test gear only raises more questions about what’s going on with this prototype.

Tremor? Rattler?
This prototype’s front-end design and tire choice suggests off-road leanings, so what name could be on tap? Ford recently unveiled the F-150 Rattler, which is a budget-minded off-road package based off the FX4. This Maverick looks a bit more off-road-focused, and the Maverick is budget-minded, by nature, so maybe the Rattler name will trickle downmarket to the Maverick. There is also the Tremor, or Timberline, as possibilities.

New reports have surfaced on a recent trademark filing, in which Ford has sought trademark protection of the Maverick Tremor name. The Maverick Tremor trademark was filed in Chile, at the National Institute of Industrial Property, so there’s no clear-cut US-market tie to the filing, but it’s interesting, nonetheless.
I read the article at Ford Authority before seeing this post. Your article is more informative and has many more photos which makes it more complete. I think all of us Maverick owners are waiting to see what comes out of the initial design.

I love my VB XL but I would consider an AWD Hybrid in a heart beat. Makes me wonder what the tow capacity would be. It should certainly be a little better than the 2000lb tow capacity of of the 2.0 EB FWD.

Thanks for posting. :cool:
Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm skeptical about this being a Rattler. The F150 Rattler is based on an XL, and this particular vehicle seems to be based on the Lariat with DRL headlights, painted mirror caps, and painted door handles. Would love to know if the Lariat interior colors are going to change, can't tell.
I would love an XL based Maverick Rattler! :cool:

UnTruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Layne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Don't know why people are dying for an AWD hybrid? I've got a AWD Ecoboost , 92 miles per day drive, 52 of that is interstate, the rest is back country roads and 2 laners. I'm getting 32.4 mpg for weeks now and do a 70 mph on the interstate. Just get the Ecoboost AWD and call it a day .
I'm in Utah, and AWD makes a difference 4-5 months a year, especially for getting up into the mountains for ski days. We also go to Southern Utah quite a bit, and although we definitely don't expect high-clearance or rock crawling, being able to confidently navigate sandy or rutted backroads would be awesome.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm in Utah, and AWD makes a difference 4-5 months a year, especially for getting up into the mountains for ski days. We also go to Southern Utah quite a bit, and although we definitely don't expect high-clearance or rock crawling, being able to confidently navigate sandy or rutted backroads would be awesome.
Utah here as well- And not only that, 2WD will get you straight up stuck in the red clay/dirt we have all over the state if any appreciable amount of rain falls- Slippery AF- Crazy fun stuff :)

UnTruck

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Layne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Pilot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Utah here as well- And not only that, 2WD will get you straight up stuck in the red clay/dirt we have all over the state if any appreciable amount of rain falls- Slippery AF- Crazy fun stuff :)
Exactly! This is exactly why we usually take our Subaru Outback on trips south, but having a little PHEV truck that gets great MPG would make those easier on the wallet.

Sponsored

eRock92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape SE
Engine
Undecided
This is the system used in the Lincoln Corsair PHEV AWD, however it requires a large HV battery pack in order to power the rear drive unit.

In wheel motors and electric drive units on PHEVs are uncommon because the setup is wildly expensive, and with the future regulatory emissions landscape it simply does not make sense for automakers to spend R&D money on those kinds of *HEVs when they could design and build a full BEV instead.
Hey King, with that being said, do you see PHEV's becoming the base engine for most Ford's in the near future? I'm the kind of person whose current situation just isn't the best suited for an EV but could benefit from an AWD hybrid. Just curious in 3 years when my Escape (hopefully) reaches that 200,000 mark if I'll have more or less hyrbid options with new Ford vehicles.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I ordered a smaller affordable pickup, like a throw back to the tiny 70s, 80s mini trucks.
Jump up to the Ranger or F150 ya'll, if you want bigger, stronger, faster, expensive, complicated. Leave this poor sap something simple I can buy and afford long term.

Alas, history repeats itself, here we go again.
A displeased Lee Iacocca summed up later: "The Mustang market never left us, we left it."
1967 Mustang redesign = "Fat pig". If only they knew what we had done today.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

In wheel motors and electric drive units on PHEVs are uncommon because the setup is wildly expensive, and with the future regulatory emissions landscape it simply does not make sense for automakers to spend R&D money on those kinds of *HEVs when they could design and build a full BEV instead.
Im more interested in retro fits for existing good condition cars. With $10 gallon gas(where its going) spending $10k on a kit to double your mileage in town and add power would make sense to the huge amount of people who couldnt afford a new $40k EV.

nubbuchadnezzar

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Tuscon Hybrid, Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks to be a 7 pin towing connector - would they really put that on a PHEV or hybrid system? I sort of doubt it. I'm guessing this is an off-road specific package, e.g. Tremor.

Also, what's that plug between the 4 pin and 7 pin connectors?
I noticed this as well. A 7-pin connector is only for towing >3000 lbs, which the hybrid currently will not do. I'm not saying it's impossible for the Hybrid to get the 4K tow package, but based on the other off-road type items pointed out by people in this thread, I assume this is an EB with an off-road type package, not any kind of hybrid.

Sponsored

GreenLady

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeannette
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-250 Diesel, 1968 Cadillac Eldorado
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Would love to get a wrap like that! Talk about stand out!

Yoliber

First Name
Yoliber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model Y
This is the system used in the Lincoln Corsair PHEV AWD, however it requires a large HV battery pack in order to power the rear drive unit.
Wouldn't a PHEV FWD also require a large HV battery? What happens if the rear drive unit is just a small motor like the prius e-awd unit?

Personally for me I'd take any form PHEV. I really like the convenience of leaving home with a full charge and only using gas on the weekends.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was one of the people who didn't place an order initially because I wanted to wait for an AWD hybrid.
I noticed this as well. A 7-pin connector is only for towing >3000 lbs, which the hybrid currently will not do. I'm not saying it's impossible for the Hybrid to get the 4K tow package, but based on the other off-road type items pointed out by people in this thread, I assume this is an EB with an off-road type package, not any kind of hybrid.
I do think it's very possible that it's an upgraded EB off road package, but part of the reason that the hybrid is currently limited to 2000 lbs is that a heavy trailer moves the weight off the front drive wheels. The FWD ecoboost is rated for the same 2000 lb towing capacity as the hybrid. I think it's very possible that if we did get an AWD hybrid, it would come with a good bump in towing capacity as the drive train may not be the weak link.

it's also possible that if they're just testing things, they're using the current AWD chassis as a base truck, so it might not represent final configurations.

So I'm keeping hope of a hybrid AWD alive, even if I think a EB Tremor or similar is more likely.

minnow

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Miata, 2007 V8 4Runner, 2019 GTI SE 6MT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but I am 99% sure that this truck has the twin clutch differential from the more capable Bronco Sport Badlands. You can tell because that diff has a shrouded drain plug off to the right when viewed from the rear, and the drain plug on the standard Bronco Sport / Maverick is not visible from the same angle.
Sponsored