RRaynor2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The box on the side looks a lot like an evaporative emissions canister. Two of the 'cables' appear to actually be hoses complete with hose clamps and Ford's emissions quick disconnect fittings at the box itself.
I think it's a cleverly disguised EV plug ;)

JSanchez

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Suburban C1500
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A mysterious Ford Maverick prototype has reappeared on the streets of Dearborn, showing a new higher-clearance front bumper design and camo-wrapped body work. This latest look gives us some of our best views of its redesigned bumper, and raises more questions with some curious test equipment.

Higher-Clearance Front Bumper Design On Display
The Maverick prototype’s new front-bumper suggests more off-road intent, with a new design that looks like it will drastically improve approach angles compared to the rather square-jawed bumper that’s found across the board on all Maverick trims. Phony corner caps are installed on the bumper to hide the new design, but the new central skid plate is clearly visible, and looks off-road-ready.

Full-Body Camouflage
This Maverick has everything below the door handles covered in camouflage—a marked changed from earlier Maverick prototypes which left their lower rockers, side sills and bumper details fully uncovered once the Maverick moved into the graphic camo stage. It appears that new trim treatment will extend beyond the trail-friendly front bumper, and bring changes throughout the Maverick’s design.

The prototype looks like it starts with an FX4, and appears to build from there. The ride height looks increased, and it rides on more aggressive 23565R17 Falken Wildpeak A/T tires.

Curious Warning
The prototype is wearing a sticker that reads: “Caution: Shift By Wire, Follow Special Instructions To Transport Vehicle.” We’re not sure exactly how this transmission may differ from the initial Maverick offerings, but it’s curious that it should appear on a prototype well after the Maverick has been in the hands of its various test drivers. Why the special warning at this stage?

Curious Cabling and Test Gear
This latest prototype has bundles of cables which appear to start underneath, near the front of the Maverick’s cab, and eventually lead to the rear door on the driver’s side. The wires go into a large junction box screwed into the door. The rear door handle is taped over with orange, suggesting some kind of warning. Perhaps the door is inoperable due to the connected cables. It must be noted that the door handle is taped with bright orange tape—which usually points to high-voltage warnings on hybrid/EV test vehicles. This prototype shows its independent rear suspension, which shows it's not a Maverick Hybrid—at least in the current state of the Maverick lineup. The current Maverick Hybrid gets a simpler Twist Beam rear suspension design, while this IRS-fitted prototype suggests AWD, and an EcoBoost engine. The unique test gear only raises more questions about what’s going on with this prototype.

Tremor? Rattler?
This prototype’s front-end design and tire choice suggests off-road leanings, so what name could be on tap? Ford recently unveiled the F-150 Rattler, which is a budget-minded off-road package based off the FX4. This Maverick looks a bit more off-road-focused, and the Maverick is budget-minded, by nature, so maybe the Rattler name will trickle downmarket to the Maverick. There is also the Tremor, or Timberline, as possibilities.

New reports have surfaced on a recent trademark filing, in which Ford has sought trademark protection of the Maverick Tremor name. The Maverick Tremor trademark was filed in Chile, at the National Institute of Industrial Property, so there’s no clear-cut US-market tie to the filing, but it’s interesting, nonetheless.

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-1.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-2.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-3.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-4.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-5.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-6.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-7.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-8.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-9.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-10.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-11.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-12.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-13.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-14.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-15.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-16.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-17.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-18.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-19.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-20.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-21.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-22.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-23.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-24.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-25.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-26.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-27.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-28.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-29.jpg

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-30.jpg
Finally!!! I’ve been waiting for more of this after seeing the original spy shots and that Chile Tremor trademark. I’m ready to trade up for this! Tho I do love the Mavs squared up jaw.

Richlizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ford escape
What is the Fuel Drain and valve by the hitch next to the electric plug? I know---to drain fuel. Just never saw that before.

Dallas Maverick

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

mystery-maverick-new-model-variant-spied-30.jpg

I'm going with a PHEV AWD system.

The black box on the side looks like it supports both Level 1 and Level 2 charging ports. (2 different wires of different sizes)

[EDIT]. I think @Darnon was right about this one. I was wrong in my statement above. I stand by the rest of my post though. 😊

Also, we know that there are PHEV versions of the Escape and Corsair that already exist...
https://www.ford.com/suvs-crossovers/escape/models/escape-se-plug-in-hybrid/
https://www.lincoln.com/luxury-suvs/corsair/models/grand-touring/

...and there seems to be a PHEV Bronco Sport in development (Bound to incldue AWD for sure)
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/spotted-ford-bronco-sport-hybrid-here-soon/

A PHEV AWD maverick would make the most sense.

My predictions:

1) It will be the MOST EXPENSIVE model made yet. Some people will balk at the price. I'm going to assume $45k-$50k. Ford still wants to sell to these people though so they're hoping that the government tax credit will help. Ford is already greasing the wheels on this.
https://fordauthority.com/2022/06/ford-officially-calls-on-congress-to-eliminate-ev-tax-credit-cap

2) Even though it will be the most expensive model, it will sell out immediately. Not in the first month.. probably within the first 48-72 hours.
When the Maverick was released in Brazil, they sold out in 24 hours.
I think many of the first year buyers were torn between fuel efficiency and off-road capability. If you can have both in one package, people will line up.

Ford Maverick 📸 Spotted: Mystery New Maverick Model With High Clearance Off-Road Bumper and Tires 1655409482633

Last edited:

mrbill

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 kia soul- 2023 santa cruz SE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Also interesting that in some of the pics it's sitting horizontal and the front tires appear a larger diameter.
very nice, too bad they cant build the one we ordered 8 months ago, with only one option trailer hitch

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
very nice, too bad they cant build the one we ordered 8 months ago, with only one option trailer hitch
I have Oct 26th XLT with trailer hitch and 400 watt inverter. Have not heard squat on it. But have July 25 week with vin scheduled XLT LUX plus 3 minor add-ons ordered on Aug 27th.

Charles

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Edge
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Interesting tailpipe