Not open for further replies.

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Prius, '19 Indian FTR-S, '20 Mustang EcoBoost
I think this is in line with Ford strategy to sell more of eco-boost than hybrid at dealerships. If I remember correctly the hybrids are built per customer online order only and walk-in customers at any dealership rarely sees one sitting in their lots. Instead the eco-boost will be largely available. The hybrid delay show it is not Ford priority. Yesterday I made a hybrid reservation for a friend and he got a call from a dealer 10 minutes right after the submission. The salesman said he has one available at the lot with the same color (Area 51) but with eco-boost engine. We said no and will stick with ordering the hybrid.
This has nothing to do with their strategy. It has to do with Ford trying to cut corners and pass off the Escape EPA results as the Mavericks so the EPA selected the Maverick for additional testing. Hence why Hybrids cannot be sold yet until EPA approval.
Sponsored

mamboman777

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This has nothing to do with their strategy. It has to do with Ford trying to cut corners and pass off the Escape EPA results as the Mavericks so the EPA selected the Maverick for additional testing. Hence why Hybrids cannot be sold yet until EPA approval.
I'm not convinced of either. Could it be there was an actual engineering change or software change that impacted the economy ratings? Maybe they figured something out and are able to get way over 40 (I've seen 50 a few places).

Whole lotta maybes right now.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This has nothing to do with their strategy. It has to do with Ford trying to cut corners and pass off the Escape EPA results as the Mavericks so the EPA selected the Maverick for additional testing.
Where does that information come from? (About "passing off" Escape results as Maverick results, I mean.)

Trying to pass off one vehicle's results as another's seems like a pretty serious thing. I'm not even sure how you would do that. Do you mean they claimed that the vehicles had identical systems so EPA should be satisfied with tests on just one? Or that they ran tests on an Escape and told EPA they were tests from a Maverick? Or something else?

Seems like it would be a crime of some sort, doesn't it? Or at least a regulatory violation that would result in something more serious than a retest. What is the EPA doing about it?

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Where does that information come from? (About "passing off" Escape results as Maverick results, I mean.)

Trying to pass off one vehicle's results as another's seems like a pretty serious thing. I'm not even sure how you would do that. Do you mean they claimed that the vehicles had identical systems so EPA should be satisfied with tests on just one? Or that they ran tests on an Escape and told EPA they were tests from a Maverick? Or something else?

Seems like it would be a crime of some sort, doesn't it? Or at least a regulatory violation that would result in something more serious than a retest. What is the EPA doing about it?
Someone else published ford's report somewhere else on this site. The escape and the mavrick have identical emissions producing powertrain components (from what I've researched) so that is why they did it. I would imagine that it's legal and it makes business sense as to why they submitted those results.

Last edited:

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Someone else published ford's report somewhere else on this site. The escape and the mavrick have identical emissions producing powertrain components (from what I've researched) so that is why they did it
Are you talking about this report? No#.PDF (epa.gov) It was linked to in this post https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...oval-for-hybrid-maverick-oktb.3149/post-68851.
I took a look at it, but I don't pretend to understand the layout.

Still, it seems to list Escape and Maverick as different vehicles and it describes them as having different powertrain and emissions components.

For example, in this section on "Calibration Descriptions" it describes the transmissions differently (ACF45 vs HF45):
Ford Maverick 📢 OKTB Hybrid Maverick Date Confirmed = 12/8/21 1634335049050

And in this one on "Exhaust Emissions Parts" it has different descriptors (not sure what they stand for) for the control modules, catalysts, and battery packs:
Ford Maverick 📢 OKTB Hybrid Maverick Date Confirmed = 12/8/21 1634335173396

So I don't see how they were trying to pass them off as identical.

If they were, they were doing a pretty bad job of it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

bgillen35

First Name
Brendan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you talking about this report? No#.PDF (epa.gov) It was linked to in this post https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...oval-for-hybrid-maverick-oktb.3149/post-68851.
I took a look at it, but I don't pretend to understand the layout.

Still, it seems to list Escape and Maverick as different vehicles and it describes them as having different powertrain and emissions components.

For example, in this section on "Calibration Descriptions" it points out that they have different transmissions:
1634335049050.png

And in this one on "Exhaust Emissions Parts" it has different descriptors (not sure what they stand for) for the control modules, catalysts, and battery packs:
1634335173396.png

So I don't see how they were trying to pass them off as identical.

If they were, they were doing a pretty bad job of it.
I honestly spend too much time on this site that it all just kind of blends together but I think that was it. I also had little clue of what I was looking at so I was going off of everyone's comments which is admittedly a dangerous internet rabbit hole. I could be completely mistaken and I'm just mashing up reports and people's comments and other people's speculation.

DryHeat

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DryHeat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
it all just kind of blends together
I know what you mean. I read through enough posts and my brain turns to mush trying to fit it all together. Particularly the EPA documents. I can spot a few things in them but it's mainly all noise to me.

I think you're right that there was a post on that other thread saying that some EPA PDF (maybe this one?) was based on the 2020 Escape, not the Maverick. But I don't know why they said that.

Lots of folks seem to think that Ford did something bad to trigger this EPA testing delay, but there are different explanations of what that bad thing was. (Used Escape data? Swapped out the transmission?) I honestly have no clue -- but I kind of hope this isn't the normal course of business.

Last edited:

XLTLUXRED

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid, Mini 4 door
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is however I got a hybrid.
We drove up to Hardwick after work today and really LOVE the truck!! I thought it would be a bit smaller than it is. But it's actually a bit larger than the 1995 Ranger we had.

AND!! Good news! The ugly orange tray liners are completely removable! Can't wait to switch them to tan and will probably do without them until the tan become available.

That said! If anyone who is getting the Lariat would prefer to have orange, we'd be happy to swap!

ChopperPilot6

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Hybrid XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If this is true that sucks, my dealer told me mine should be in by the end of the month.

Big_T

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sponsored

JayMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars & Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's hard to believe someone would have tried to pass off some slipshod report. Until you read its happened before. I hope this isn't the case with the maverick. I'd hate to be the guy that the shareholders want publicly lynched for throwing a monkey wrench into what was looking like a printing press for money.

I wonder if they'd offer the guy a blindfold and cigarette before facing the board.

Bayview boy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Caravan, Envoy, Focus
I live in Tucson so it's only a few hours North of the factory, to save time I'll meet my Maverick at the border! 🤣 🇲🇽🇺🇸
I have a current passport. I told the dealer that I would have no problem picking it up in Mexico.

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

This is commonplace in the car market. They are allowed to use the ratings from a powertrain shared. This one is just different enough and is outperforming.

tonyinsd

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Maverick XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is commonplace in the car market. They are allowed to use the ratings from a powertrain shared. This one is just different enough and is outperforming.
If this is true, it's a pain in the ass to have to wait for these to be built but having a truck that delivers more than 40 mpg? Worth the wait.

I'll be driving this thing for the next decade or more. Waiting a few months to get it isn't a problem, especially if it's for what is being said here and the mileage is better than the original estimates.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.