Lloyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 99 E150 Clb Wgn, 23 Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My local dealers website states they have several vehicles also but when you inquire about one it’s either already sold or in transit. Nothing on their website says the vehicle shown on the website is actually in stock and available.
I've driven past, they have about that many in the new lot. Before Covid they stocked 800-1000 new vehicles.

vRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
Undecided
I think that there is less demand than they are making out to be. Yes 86,000 orders placed in a few days sounds great, but those 86,000 orders are not by individual customers.

What I want to know is:

• How many 2022 Maverick owners have placed an order for a 2023 just because/for a 2nd Maverick/to trade in their 2022 for a 2023?

• How many of the 86,000 orders are carryovers from 2022?

• How many of the 86,000 orders are duplicates or multiple orders made by the same person at different dealerships to increase their chance of getting one and then cancelling or selling the others?

• How many ordered an EcoBoost just to drive until their Hybrid comes in?

• How many of the orders were made by people who have no intention of owning the vehicle and just want to flip it?

• How many of the orders were made by dealership employees who have no intention of buying the vehicle and only ordered so that the store can sell it with an ADM?

I bet if you take all those out the actual demand is probably a lot less and something that could be easily fulfilled by Ford.

The insane used car market is not helping this either. Used vehicle prices above the MSRP of a new one is making people place orders for new vehicles where instead they would have bought a used one.

For the 2023's dealers will be getting vehicles for stock units (most likely XLT EcoBoosts) but you can bet that they are going to be marked up by at least $5k to $10k.

MTK46

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 6.7l dually, 2020 Escape hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm just wondering how Ford comes up with 80% of orders for the 2023s are new to Ford. Also coming from competitors. Last Toyota I had was back in 78
That sure isn't me with my order.

pa-outdoorsman

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT, EB, LUX, FX4, 4K, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think that there is less demand than they are making out to be. Yes 86,000 orders placed in a few days sounds great, but those 86,000 orders are not by individual customers.

What I want to know is:

• How many 2022 Maverick owners have placed an order for a 2023 just because/for a 2nd Maverick/to trade in their 2022 for a 2023?

• How many of the 86,000 orders are carryovers from 2022?

• How many of the 86,000 orders are duplicates or multiple orders made by the same person at different dealerships to increase their chance of getting one and then cancelling or selling the others?

• How many ordered an EcoBoost just to drive until their Hybrid comes in?

• How many of the orders were made by people who have no intention of owning the vehicle and just want to flip it?

• How many of the orders were made by dealership employees who have no intention of buying the vehicle and only ordered so that the store can sell it with an ADM?

I bet if you take all those out the actual demand is probably a lot less and something that could be easily fulfilled by Ford.

The insane used car market is not helping this either. Used vehicle prices above the MSRP of a new one is making people place orders for new vehicles where instead they would have bought a used one.

For the 2023's dealers will be getting vehicles for stock units (most likely XLT EcoBoosts) but you can bet that they are going to be marked up by at least $5k to $10k.
Ford doesn't give a flying fig about any of that. They just want to build the trucks and sell them.

Sponsored

adawalli

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer Platinum, 2010 Toyota Prius 3
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seriously? What kind of B/S pills you taking? Please take the whole bottle of B/S pills so you can go ahead and pass them out of your system. If you do not know the build capicity and component constraints by now those B/S pills will have no effect.
It would be nice if you learned how to use the forum so that we can learn who you’re trying to be sarcastic at

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
They don't want to build these. The demand has been overwhelming since it first went live, and they aren't seriously trying to increase build capacity.
Yup, Ford has said ZERO words about increasing production. Which reinforces my belief that the Maverick is a loss leader. And the hybrid is a loss leader compliance car. Which is 100% fine with me, because that's a formula for high resale values for years to come.

SR-71

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It appears that the general consensus here on MTC is that Hybrid orders for 2023 are significantly greater in number than for the EcoBoost. Additionally, prior to the opening of the 2023 order banks, Ford specifically asked the dealers to manage their new retail customer orders to accommodate the 35/65 Hybrid/EB targets. As has been pointed out by others here, some dealerships did a better job of this than others.

However, another related piece of this puzzle is dealer allocations. And some of the reports by other MTC members seem to indicate that there are many dealers who have so far received far fewer allocations than they were expecting.

So I think it's very possible that Ford may use currently undistributed allocations to reward dealerships that managed the Hybrid/EB ratio effectively. If so, then Hybrid orders at such "allocation-enhanced" dealerships may have a greater chance of being produced than those placed with the EB leaning dealerships. Of course, constraints will still be a factor as well.

All IMHO, of course.

AURktman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Nissan Frontier Pro-X
Engine
Undecided
I would expect Ford to build a ton of the EB in base trim in white for work trucks and put them on the dealer lots. I think those would sell like beer at a July rodeo.

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It will definitely take a while, but 52k hybrids may be almost doable for Ford. If Ford can make 110k at a 40/60 split, that is 44k hybrids for the year. So 8k rolling over to 2024. No great, but not too different from this year. The real issue will be the dealer allocations and which orders get rolled over. We know it will not be fair...
Don't forget: Ford has said they will have no rollovers to a 2024. No deals, just a no build. Then can order a 2024 and start all over...

Sponsored

Alfotsch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander Hybrid, Subaru XV Crosstrek
I'm feeling super mixed on my prospects for actually receiving my MY23 Hybrid Lariat. This news about 10K produced and 86K orders seems like the math should work out but then my dealer in Minneapolis MN said the following a couple of days ago.

"I think we had about 55 orders for Mavericks and maybe we will get half of those built."

Not promising.

However, I heard from another local dealer today (10/4/2022) that, "We are actively taking orders for the 2023 model year. Those order banks are scheduled to open in this month."

Very mixed signals.

Impetus19

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazda 3, 1979 CJ5 360 3spd, 2015 prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

jimmyu

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
One of those built in September is mine!
Sponsored