First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, RAV4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anybody see the February production numbers? In past posts, they were attached with the sales numbers.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Anybody see the February production numbers? In past posts, they were attached with the sales numbers.
Might be the source didn't have them (or they aren't added yet) - I've seen the press releases both with and without the prod numbers, depending on where you link from, perhaps the admin just went to a site with the prod excluded version

SDMavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Perhaps if this is the case, Ford should have considered that when a customer walked away (if they knew it) that those orders should have been cancelled instead of converting to stock orders. If so, some of the 800 could have be used to fill customer orders not yet cancelled.!!
How many people put in an order with two or more dealers to get one faster.... The other then goes to stock, not the dealer or ford's fault.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Certainly that would be nice, but I suspect buyers aren't backing out until that vehicle is delivered and they are notified. Think of the people just on this forum that have multiple orders - are they reaching out to Ford and the dealer when one is fulfilled, to stop the others, or not take delivery?

It is a nice thought, but not anywhere close to realistic.
Agreed it may be unrealistic but the degree of that is really impossible to determine. We do not know how many people who are not going to accept their order of who have or will buy a different vehicle would not let the dealer know they wanted to cancel if the order was indeed "cancelled" permitting production of a vehicle for someone else. I would think
a lot of people who cancel are not happy with the dealer and/or Ford. Knowing their order will convert to stock displeases them even more and their attitude may become, hell, why should I let the dealer know anything?

A second potential benefit of orders not yet in build stage, if cancelled, to not be converted is this: dealers would no incentive to push or prod a customer to cancel. They would have nothing to gain. In fact, they would lose a sale, although a less profitable one.

Sponsored

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Certainly that would be nice, but I suspect buyers aren't backing out until that vehicle is delivered and they are notified. Think of the people just on this forum that have multiple orders - are they reaching out to Ford and the dealer when one is fulfilled, to stop the others, or not take delivery?

It is a nice thought, but not anywhere close to realistic.
Agreed it may be unrealistic but the degree of that is really impossible to determine. We do not know how many people who are not going to accept their order of who have or will buy a different vehicle would not let the dealer know they wanted to cancel if the order was indeed "cancelled" permitting production of a vehicle for someone else. I would think
a lot of people who cancel are not happy with the dealer and/or Ford. Knowing their order will convert to stock displeases them even more and their attitude may become, hell, why should I let the dealer know anything?

A second potential benefit of orders not yet in build stage, if cancelled, to not be converted is this: dealers would no incentive to push or prod a customer to cancel. They would have nothing to gain. In fact, they would lose a sale, although a less profitable one.

Connect

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Honda Accord, 2023 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
earlier this week I drove by my local Ford dealer and was surprised to see a bunch of white Maverick XL's parked on the commercial side of the dealer. After seeing this thread I looked up the website and they have 14 listed on the commercial site (I thought there was about 20 when I drove by and saw them) and 9 listed on the regular site. 1 appears to be in stock and the other 8 must be in transit

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Whether a customer does or does not let a dealer know they won't be taking delivery, the dealer is going to get that as inventory regardless.

Literally the only incentive for individuals to bother letting their dealer know they are cancelling is to get a deposit back. There is still no incentive on the dealer's end to then tell Ford hey we don't need this truck anymore - not only would that not happen, but if Ford tried to force this, their dealers would get pitchforks out.

Literally the only way to avoid any of these scenarios is either 1 - move to direct to consumer sales, or 2 - standardize a deposit and hold process that forces the dealers to only get inventory built for an assigned customer as long as a deposit was made. Even still, someone could make a deposit and back out at the time of delivery.

This would at least put the build process a little more in the hands of the overall consumer army - but the only way this would benefit other potential buyers would be for those backing out to do so before a scheduled build.

There is no way option 2 is practical for a multi-national corporation either - they will leave the selling process to the dealers until they can more feasibly implement a direct-to-consumer model.

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It'll be a miracle if they end up producing & selling more than 50k for MY22
Some comments.

1. I have consistently and posted several times on this forum that I expect Ford to produce and sell, for the US only, an estimated 75,000 Mavericks, split 30,000 Hybrids and 45,000 EcoBoosts, with production from August, 2021 to early October, 2022. This is based on careful extrapolation of production and sales numbers published to date, including these latest February, 2022 numbers.

2. Sales and deliveries are virtually the same thing. A sale is when money changes hands, and normally, the customer delivery happens right after that.

3. The MY 2022 sales period in my estimates includes from September, 2021 to December, 2022, given production started in August, 2021 and will continue into October, 2022. With production that late and transport from Hermosillo to the dealers in the US running 2-8 weeks, December 2022 looks like a good bet for the last of MY2022 deliveries. This also assumes virtually all Mavericks are sold very soon after delivery to dealers. Ford has announced that production of MY2023 Mavericks will start on October 24, 2022. If this changes, and Ford extends the 2022 model year yet again to later in 2022 (as they did with many other Ford models in MY 2021), then my estimates are low and will be revised upward.

4. Sales were down significantly for all Ford products last month when compared with the same periods in 2021.. I attribute this to continued limited production across all products, along with logistical delays in getting vehicles to dealers for delivery from the various assembly plants. I'm most interested in Maverick Hybrid numbers, since I have a still unscheduled Maverick XL Hybrid from June on order. Hybrids had pretty low sales last month, but in looking, quite consistent with Ford Escape Hybrid sales numbers. (Note: My son took delivery of a 2022 Ford Escape plug-in Hybrid (PHEV) last week after a 9-month wait. I've driven it, and understand now that it's a complete unicorn. Almost all Escape Hybrids sold so far are the regular Hybrids, both FWD and AWD. The PHEV Escapes are all FWD only, and very few have been produced.) So far this year, almost the same sales numbers each for Maverick Hybrids and Escape Hybrids are shown, the latter including both types, HEV and PHEV. As they share the same platform and much the same drivetrain, I'm thinking Ford is rationing the scarce semiconductors in modules pretty equally between Maverick and Escape Hybrids.

5. Interesting to note that in this February, 2022 report from Ford Media, the third page that would normally show production is missing, and not published yesterday. I suspect because so many plants are closed or on limited production schedules, that February production was significantly lower than in the recent past, but with no production report published, it's hard to know for sure.

6. I'd still love to know how many MY2022 Mavericks have been ordered and what the breakdown is between the two drivetrains. My guess now is close to 100,000 US orders, with 60% of them Hybrids. So maybe half of all Hybrid orders get rolled over to MY2023, and almost all EB orders get produced. However, that is pure speculation on my part and is thus my least reliable estimate.

Patience!

Last edited:

brdl04

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Expedition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Pretty sure sale and delivery are one and the same. Remember, these are monthly sales figures. When you buy a car, and the dealer hands you the keys and you drive away, that is referred to in the industry as "taking delivery" of the vehicle. In other words, it's sold.
This is correct. Sales and Deliveries are one in the same.

Sponsored

Bob_Snow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
  • Maverick’s top competitive conquest is the Honda Civic.

Now THAT is interesting!

The Honda Civic is a largely popular entry level vehicle. That the Maverick is luring buyers away from something like the civic is very telling of its universal appeal.

Here are the civic sales numbers by year - think how well the Maverick can sell if that is the kind of buyer it is tapping into - and doing so without ANY marketing:

1646325773021.png
Ford got me to order a Maverick instead of buy a Civic hatchback like I was planning on doing.

davnau

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'73 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford got me to order a Maverick instead of buy a Civic hatchback like I was planning on doing.
There you go. Mileage and price of a Civic (or Toyota Corolla), with the utility of a compact truck.

And the Civic and Corolla are not rated to tow anything.

Last edited:

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Whether a customer does or does not let a dealer know they won't be taking delivery, the dealer is going to get that as inventory regardless.

Literally the only incentive for individuals to bother letting their dealer know they are cancelling is to get a deposit back. There is still no incentive on the dealer's end to then tell Ford hey we don't need this truck anymore - not only would that not happen, but if Ford tried to force this, their dealers would get pitchforks out.

Literally the only way to avoid any of these scenarios is either 1 - move to direct to consumer sales, or 2 - standardize a deposit and hold process that forces the dealers to only get inventory built for an assigned customer as long as a deposit was made. Even still, someone could make a deposit and back out at the time of delivery.

This would at least put the build process a little more in the hands of the overall consumer army - but the only way this would benefit other potential buyers would be for those backing out to do so before a scheduled build.

There is no way option 2 is practical for a multi-national corporation either - they will leave the selling process to the dealers until they can more feasibly implement a direct-to-consumer model.
Okay, let me restate that I am talking about before build. Now I will modify my thoughts, based on your comments, to what I think might work better. Buyers are required to put down a deposit refundable only before a build date is received. Buyers and dealers are both aware that such orders if cancelled before build are just that: cancelled, no rollover to stock orders. If and when retail orders are filled, dealer will get a credit for the cancellation and can order a stock unit to replace the cancellation. Orders which are cancelled before the build date will permit another retail order to be filled before stock orders began or are static as some predetermined level by Ford.

Right now, dealers are supposedly calling people without build dates to give them "advice" and "choices" on what features they should drop and "perhaps" get a build date and avoid their order being rolled over to MY23. I have no doubt many ford dealers and their employees are honest and doing this to the best of their ability. However, I have read too many entries in this forum which indicate some dealers may try to purposely get buyers to drop their orders, sometimes even with untruths. Some dealers may now use the constraint issue to encourage buyers to get so disgusted that they drop their orders. Result, ADM for the dealer. This dealer incentive to be less than honest would be removed if he/she thought they were losing this sale and not receiving a vehicle for markup.

Perhaps still not thinking totally realistically, but, hey my wife sometime tells me the same thing!!!

Dochatley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, 2024 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps if this is the case, Ford should have considered that when a customer walked away (if they knew it) that those orders should have been cancelled instead of converting to stock orders. If so, some of the 800 could have be used to fill customer orders not yet cancelled.!!
That would require thinking and that’s not being done on a lot of the Maverick dealings.
Sponsored