Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Honda Ridgeline - 2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maverick December 2021 Sales & Production Highlights
  • Maverick Sales: 6,030 vehicles. Sales (YTD): 13,258 vehicles.
    • December sales represent a 134% increase over November.
    • Maverick Hybrid sold 2,159 (as part of the 6,030 total)
  • Maverick Production: 5,491 vehicles. Production (YTD): 25,880 vehicles.
    • December production represents a 13% decrease from November.
  • Average time on lot - 4 days
As a holder of a handful of shares, the other bullets are looking good as well.

2021 Ford Bronco December Sales and Production Figures 4.jpg

2021 Ford Bronco December Sales and Production Figures 3.jpg

2021 Ford Bronco December Sales and Production Figures 2.jpg

2021 Ford Bronco December Sales and Production Figures 1.jpg
Am I seeing this correctly? 2021 YTD Maverick sales = 13,258 units sold. Mavericks produced in 2021 = 25,880. If so, where did the other 12,622 Mavericks go?
Sponsored

Midwest Jim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline CRV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If 6000 are produced each month (or even 10,000) but there have been well over 100,000 ordered or reserved, lots of future owners are in for a long wait.

bobcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a Maverick XL Hybrid on order with few options, all non-constrained. It was ordered with a deposit on June 15, 2021 and I got my email confirmation on June 17, 2021. Mine was the first for my dealer (near Akron, OH) and it took them a couple days to get the order into Ford. Also got my October email from Ford regarding the Hybrid delays and the promise for the FITS accessories once delivered.

I've wanted to try to extrapolate production for the Maverick for the 2022 model year for a while now, but until these December, 2021 figures were released, I was missing some information to try to do so. It's but an educated guess based on this latest info, but production and sales of cars have been an interest of mine since the '70s. What can I say, I like numbers.

Looking at production so far, it's looking to me that about 75,000 Mavericks will be produced for the now extended 2022 model year. Some small number will be non-US and/or Canada trucks. Per a previous posting on this forum, it looks like 2022 Mavericks will be produced until about October 7, 2022 or so, an extension by about two months over what was previously expected. SInce Ford has consistently said about 40% of production will be Hybrids, that means a split of 30,000 Hybrids and 45,000 2.0 EB drivetrains. To me, that makes sense given all the chip shortages and given what has been produced and sold so far.

Ford had no real incentive to produce a lot Hybrids after the EPA certification delay was announced. It made sense to produce some, so the Hermosilla plant workforce kept up on how to produce them, but for revenue, it made perfect sense to focus on what you could sell and thus book for revenue, which was the 2.0 EB trucks.

So, assuming all this, I extrapolated, given the 2,159 Hybrids delivered and thus sold in December, ignoring the handful Ford delivered in November. I expect that for the 12 months from December, 2021 through November, 2022, there will be about 2,500 Hybrids sold per month (6,250 total), on average. That adds up to my estimate of 30,000 Hybrid and 75,000 total for the model year. (The other 45,000 will be the 2.0 EB trucks.) I really doubt Ford will hit anywhere near 100,000 produced, as Ford production has been down about 20% for 2021, and the chip shortage is not expected to start to ease until late in 2022.

That means, in reality, there have been very few Hybrids delivered so far out of that 30,000, and explains why so many Hybrid trucks are not scheduled for production yet. XLT and Lariat Hybrid trucks will likely continue to get priority, to try to maximize profit in these constrained times. Not my favorite of circumstances, but this is consistent with Ford extending the model year to get orders produced. (I expect only about 3,000 XL Hybrids like mine will be produced for 2022). It's clear to me that Ford really wants to keep it's commitment to all those who ordered a truck sight unseen. I'm also thinking that Ford cut off orders in November for 2022 Hybrids, because it hit this 30,000 limit. They just won't have the parts to make more than about this many. As the order banks were open for just over 5 months for Hybrids, that means about 6,000 Hybrids were ordered per month, on average. This also make sense to me, since we know per this forum at least, that the order rate up till then was around 60% Hybrid, not the 40% originally expected.

On production in general, Ford is having a tough time making enough electrified vehicles. My son ordered a 2021 PHEV Escape, also in June, 2021. It was rolled over to the 2022 model year, was amended with a new color choice (the original color chosen was no longer available for 2022) and as of today, it too is still not scheduled. He has also just ordered a 2022 Mustang Mach-E, which may well roll into 2023.

So, like a lot of folks, I'm frustrated I don't have my truck, but at the same time, I get it. As of December 31, 2021, just a few days ago, less that 2200 of those estimated 30,000 2022 Hybrid trucks ordered have been delivered, and thus sold. That's just over 7%, so almost 93% are yet to be delivered. Given the trickle of parts, I doubt there will many months where more than 2,500 Hybrids will be produced, and it will take until early October, 2022 to get them all produced, Yes, I may be off, but I don't think by too much.

Full disclosure: I am retired from 40 years in IT, and have never worked for Ford or any Ford supplier or dealership. The auto industry and cars in general are a hobby of mine, along with classic recreational boats. My Maverick will be used to tow my three boats, all under 2000 pounds rigged, and I was very excited when Ford formally announced the Maverick on June 8, 2021. In my life so far at age 69, I have owned 37 cars and trucks, with 12 of them Fords, the rest a variety of makes and models. I am selling a 1997 Toyota Paseo convertible (Toyota Tercel-based) and a 2013 Volvo C70 retractable hardtop convertible (loosely Ford Focus-based) in the Spring, 2022 to pay for my Maverick XL Hybrid. Will keep my 1973 Ford Mustang convertible with a 250 six and C4 transmission. (I'm into smooth and quiet, not fast and loud). In realty, I realize I will be lucky to get it by Memorial Day, more likely by July 4, and maybe not until Labor Day, but definitely by Thanksgiving, 2022.

That's the reality of production today of any electrified vehicle. Ford F-150 Lightning truck production will ramp up slowly and will likely take at least 2-3 years to fill all orders placed already. Mustang Mach-E vehicles will continue to slowly ramp up, and PHEV Escapes will also be in very short supply for a couple of years. I consider myself lucky that I ordered my Maverick when I did, and will be very surprised if I don't see my truck by Thanksgiving, 2022. Just need to be patient. At least I'm getting it for the $19,995, plus destination, options, doc fees, and sales tax. About $24,000 out the door. A bargain in my opinion in today's crazy world.
Thats a lot of numbers to digest! Imagine what Apple must go thru everytime they introduce a new IPHONE model?But guess what,Ive never heard anyone complain of having to wait for months to get one.Maybe Ford should ask them how its done!

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well it's nice to read production numbers are going up!
Production numbers havent gone up - December dropped 820 less than November production. The sales increase was due to the hybrid being released for sale.

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Production numbers havent gone up - December dropped 820 less than November production. The sales increase was due to the hybrid being released for sale.
Yeah but they were closed for a week. It's interesting to watch all this unfold. I wonder how close the production run will match demand. That's gotta be hard to predict.
Sponsored