Sponsored

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Seeing too many reviews mentioning the wheelspin on the FWD Ecoboost - from Car and Driver " massive, anti-social levels of wheelspin, even from a rolling start with the front-drive 2.0T" :(
I canceled my order and am deciding what to do next - will probably get an XL with AWD and tow package and decide what to do for cruise control later.
just curious why not go hybrid if you wanted fwd in the first place. Especially if performance was a concern we now know hybrid 0-60 is within 1 to 1.5 seconds of the 2.0.

the hybrid reviews are really making me wish I could wait for my hybrid order to be built. But need a car before that will happen.
Sponsored

STARCOMMTREY1

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, Ultra Classic, Versa Note and soon to be Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
just curious why not go hybrid if you wanted fwd in the first place. Especially if performance was a concern we now know hybrid 0-60 is within 1 to 1.5 seconds of the 2.0.

the hybrid reviews are really making me wish I could wait for my hybrid order to be built. But need a car before that will happen.
wait until i turbo charge that hybrid.....muahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

TS0323

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue

I did initially have a hybrid on order, but I decided I'd like a bit more power, and I liked how the FWD Ecoboost was the lightest of all the models including the hybrid so my thought was that it would be the fastest. I've never bought a truck before, so I was assuming the FWD 2.0L Maverick would be closer to something like a Civic Type R that is FWD but can accelerate hard without much wheelspin (obviously nowhere as fast, just an extreme example). Oh well. At least now I'll have more utility since I'm adding the tow package to my new XL order as well, which should also help acceleration due to the higher gear ratio.

Last edited:

Ribwich

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Jalopnik has a great final summary. This is why I am excited for this vehicle.

I love the honesty of the Maverick, the flexibility, the way it’s been thoughtfully designed to help you customize it and update it on your own with crap you can buy from the local hardware store. I love that it’s been designed to be cheap to run and fuel, and that it’s unpretentious and fun and should be the sort of transportation tool that actively increases the scope of what you can do with your life.

The Maverick has the potential to be a humble yet dignified companion to a person or family, a reliable resource that doesn’t need to be babied or require undue attention. A vehicle that opens doors to do more things, easier. These are all qualities I admire in cars, and I’m delighted to see a major automaker finally selling something like this.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did initially have a hybrid on order, but I decided I'd like a bit more power, and I liked how the FWD Ecoboost was the lightest of all the models including the hybrid so my thought was that it would be the fastest. I've never bought a truck before, so I was assuming the FWD 2.0L Maverick would be closer to something like a Civic Type R that is FWD but can accelerate hard without much wheelspin (obviously nowhere as fast, just an extreme example). Oh well. At least now I'll have more utility since I'm adding the tow package to my new XL order as well, which should also help acceleration due to the higher gear ratio.
Keep in mind the continentals on those 2.0 FWD are kinda... not great. Some good rubber would go a long way to improving the wheel spin.

Sponsored

Chris McD

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Surprised there's no Doug Demuro review yet. I'm liking the reviews that have come out that I've seen and read though. Makes me happy with my order.

Gmood1

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
G-man
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep in mind the continentals on those 2.0 FWD are kinda... not great. Some good rubber would go a long way to improving the wheel spin.

Very true! I'm not concerned about wheel spin. Since I won't be stomping it from a dead stop every time I pull off. 😂

What I do want is highway passing power. I think that's where the 2.0 shines.

I'm glad the Hybrid isn't a slug either!

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Seeing too many reviews mentioning the wheelspin on the FWD Ecoboost - from Car and Driver " massive, anti-social levels of wheelspin, even from a rolling start with the front-drive 2.0T" :(
I canceled my order and am deciding what to do next - will probably get an XL with AWD and tow package and decide what to do for cruise control later.
Why is this a problem? I mean, it's pretty much what happens when you mash the accelerator on any 2WD car with a decent engine when traction control is disabled. Would you prefer a wimpier engine? Or do you need AWD so that you can beat everything off the line?

TS0323

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hybrid XLT Lux in Alto Blue
Why is this a problem? I mean, it's pretty much what happens when you mash the accelerator on any 2WD car with a decent engine when traction control is disabled. Would you prefer a wimpier engine? Or do you need AWD so that you can beat everything off the line?
Don't get me wrong, I expected this for sure, but for it to be noticeable enough for multiple reviewers to call out was not quite what I expected. I don't have to beat everything off the line, but I do drive in enough rain / rough conditions that ultimately I'll probably be happier with an AWD model.

ThisWas

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid, 2021 RAV4 Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wonder which reviewers experimented with different drive modes for their acceleration and handling tests.
For example, in one review https://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/4...-americas-cheapest-hybrid-is-a-true-truck-too I read:
"The steering is a little more lively than on a full-size truck, though it's had most everything dulled down on purpose, likely to make it seem more composed at the cost of some excitement."

Was that in "Normal" mode? Would "Sport" mode have made a difference? I think so!

The Owners Manual says:
"Drive Mode Control
Sport - For sporty driving with improved performance handling, and response. This mode increases throttle response and provides a sportier steering feel. If equipped with automatic transmission, the powertrain system provides improved gear holding, helping your vehicle accelerate faster."

Sponsored

flashfearless

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav Lariat Hybrid,2014 Ford Edge Limited
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

clippedwings

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Transit Connect
A lot of you seem to be hung up on specs and numbers. My FWD Transit Connect (which is built on the Ford Focus platform), which is empty 98% of the time, only has 169 HP. I drive it like a sports car. It has adequate power for anything I have ever asked of it. The only time I ever feel it's limits is if I'm doing 80 on the freeway and ask it for more. It still gets the job done, and honestly, what usually makes me back off is not any power limitation, it's the slightly out-of-balance wheels (thank you Discount Tire) that begin to introduce mild vibrations at speeds approaching 90MPH. Of course, I'm old, and have no need of expressing my superior EGO by racing people on the street. I did a 200-mile round trip a couple days ago in my spouses new 2022 BMW X3. I only engaged the turbos once while on the freeway, and that wasn't really necessary. I just wanted to see what it felt like. Don't let the specs make your decision for you. Either version of the MAV will serve you well in virtually any daily driver scenario. Only for off-roading and/or towing are specs likely to make a difference to you.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This thread made me register. Super excited for the Maverick. Ordered a while ago. Typical demographic - first truck, need a truck to go to track days with the motorcycle and other than that need a car. Boom. Maverick fits the bill.

Brsbill

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 sta
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My opinion is the rock hard tires, I will be switching to summer tires to solve problem....I. Hope....

JBnorthTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2013 Honda CRV
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Don't get me wrong, I expected this for sure, but for it to be noticeable enough for multiple reviewers to call out was not quite what I expected. I don't have to beat everything off the line, but I do drive in enough rain / rough conditions that ultimately I'll probably be happier with an AWD model.
I didn't interpret Car & Driver's comments as "calling out" wheel spin, but rather, as driving home the point that the 2.0 liter has good power. They are oriented toward performance cars and like to flog their test vehicles around. I have a rear wheel drive Mustang with 460 horsepower. I'm sure C&D testers could roast my tires performing massive burnouts and gleefully tell the story with colorful language, but I can easily accelerate quite rapidly in that car without wheel spin.
Sponsored