2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Why can’t the fix be a simple one?
Because Ford won't even have more info about what the defect is that's being recalled nor the remedy, until Q4 2023 (meaning by the end of the year). Any necessary parts and dealer appointments likely will stretch well into 2024. Clearly it's not a problem they already understand and know how to fix, else they wouldn't be buying themselves 7 months of time just to provide more info. When we first were made aware of 22S47 (the previous hybrid Under Hood Fire recall), they already had put together the procedure of drilling additional holes and removing 4 AGS vanes.

See the advance notice to dealers on the first page of this thread.

A complete Dealer Bulletin will be provided to dealers in the 4th quarter when it is anticipated that a remedy and repair instructions will be available to support this safety recall."
Sponsored

Old Man

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My brother's truck was delivered a couple weeks ago but for various reasons it took a while for us to line up insurance and now we have this recall notice - they won't let us take delivery tomorrow. I think this recall is for the same problem people on here have been mentioning for many months.

So why were these trucks deemed safe to drive until now? What made Ford change their mind - was anybody hurt or were there fires?

How do they fix the problem - is there a part that's going to get replaced on all of the vehicles? Or will they test drive it to decide if it needs to be fixed - and if so, why don't they test drive my brother's truck and decide if it has the problem.... So if there's any sanity to the situation I assume all vehicles are going to get modified and are awaiting some part.
There are no answers yet - read the last 1,000 messages. No other source of the recall, what the specific problem is, if there have been any fires, what will be done.
Only thing that can be done now is to wait until more official information comes out. Or panic, abandon orders, sell existing hybrids.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Slackers.

I thought we'd be to 1000 messages by now. What, a measly 600?

What a bunch of slackers.
😜

MsMezmereyes

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kirsten
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion energi
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bummer, my hybrid's production date was May 18th - the last day covered by the recall.
I guess this truck (prob I should no longer call it "mine") will be on delivery hold until Q4.
Mine was issued a VIN on May 18, but has since been wiped from the tracker. I’m wondering if this recall is being expanded, especially if they don’t know the cause or the remedy. So much for expanded hybrid capacity. Even customer service can’t confirm the existence of my VIN.

Sponsored

xplorguy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Veloster N
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow Msmez, your situation is dark indeed...no response from customer service?! You need to escalate this! The dealership should be able to help..and, optimistically, your Mav could be on its way.......Keep in mind: nobody here see's their Mav until they see it...it's like a dream sequence.

bwil415

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine was issued a VIN on May 18, but has since been wiped from the tracker. I’m wondering if this recall is being expanded, especially if they don’t know the cause or the remedy. So much for expanded hybrid capacity. Even customer service can’t confirm the existence of my VIN.
The tracker frequently is unavailable or wrong, and dates change or dissapear frequently. I wouldn't read into that at all.

Automate

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion Hybrid, Mav XL Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The tracker frequently is unavailable or wrong, and dates change or dissapear frequently. I wouldn't read into that at all.
Yes, unless his dealer did not COVP his order.

tlhmav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Mine dissappeared a few days right after Vin issued popped back up and now driving it June 2 delivery May 10th build!

Old Hickory Trojan

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Crosstrek Spt ,23 SC AWD,02 Jeep 4x4, 17 Winbgo
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There are no answers yet - read the last 1,000 messages. No other source of the recall, what the specific problem is, if there have been any fires, what will be done.
Only thing that can be done now is to wait until more official information comes out. Or panic, abandon orders, sell existing hybrids.
Considering that Ford is continuing to build Mavericks after the May 18 date I would say that they do KNOW what the issue is, otherwise they would stop production completely on the Hybrid. I suspect the issue is a very costly one for Ford and they are looking for a cheap fix to get by with for the warranty period. IMHO

Sponsored

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My brother's truck was delivered a couple weeks ago but for various reasons it took a while for us to line up insurance and now we have this recall notice - they won't let us take delivery tomorrow. I think this recall is for the same problem people on here have been mentioning for many months.

So why were these trucks deemed safe to drive until now? What made Ford change their mind - was anybody hurt or were there fires?

How do they fix the problem - is there a part that's going to get replaced on all of the vehicles? Or will they test drive it to decide if it needs to be fixed - and if so, why don't they test drive my brother's truck and decide if it has the problem.... So if there's any sanity to the situation I assume all vehicles are going to get modified and are awaiting some part.
Apparently, a total of 23 vehicles that use the 2.5L engine have had "catastrophic engine failures" (cause unknown). I have not read of any actual fires occurring, but Ford is being extra-cautious because they already had to go to court over the first recall. That case was thrown out of court because the people suing could not show actual damages (none of their vehicles actually caught fire - or suffered engine failures, for that matter). I have yet to see any "breakdown" (pardon the pun) of which vehicle types the failures have occurred in. It's just that all three models affected by the recall use the same 2.5L engine.

Based on the wording of the recall notice, Ford does not yet know the cause of those failures (at least not with 100% certainty). Nor do they know exactly which specific vehicles were affected. There are some indications that it might be an issue with crankshafts (or some other internal parts) being improperly polished, which could lead to a fairly catastrophic engine failure - one where the engine case might be breached, resulting in oil and coolant spilling out, and even possibly ruptured gas lines occurring.

This recall (like 99.9% of all recalls) is a CYA move, almost certainly prompted by their lawyers, to head off lawsuits. Unfortunately, the NTSB rules being what they are, once a recall like this goes out, the "stop sale" and "stop demos" order goes out with it. It is illegal (and VERY expensive) for the dealer if they knowingly fail to comply with that.

But for those of us who already have our Hybrid Mavericks, the odds are in our favor. Even if we assumed that all 23 failures were in Mavericks (doubtful), that would still be less than 1 failure per 1,000 vehicles. I'm going to keep driving mine, until / unless I hear extreme "clanking sounds" coming from the engine, or see/hear fire/smoke, or experience a sudden loss of power while the ICE is engaged. If any of those happen, I'll pull over, shut it down, and have it towed to a dealership. The only real precaution I'm taking is checking the fire extinguisher I always have in the vehicle to make sure it's good to go if needed. (But I should be doing that anyway...)

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Same happened with mine. Scheduled, showed "in production" with a build week in June on the tracker, then went back to "order confirmed" status with no build week. However, calls / texts to Customer Support indicate it is still slotted for that same week in June. I think the tracker is just screwed up...

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes, unless his dealer did not COVP his order.
Wouldn't have mattered, in his case, since he was already scheduled. The "cancel non COVP" notice specifically stated that "unscheduled" orders would be changed to priority 99 for a week, then deleted if the dealer didn't complete the COVP.
Sponsored